Vapor Trails

D3strukt

I have only been able to listen to the whole album once. To me it is painfully bad...their worst album easily. Unfocused and bad need of editing. S&A is leaps and bounds better and more melodic.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 21 2011, 12:47 AM)
I have only been able to listen to the whole album once. To me it is painfully bad...their worst album easily. Unfocused and bad need of editing. S&A is leaps and bounds better and more melodic.

I also disliked it on first listen; I now love it, I kept playing it and it grew and grew. Possibly the Rush album that requires the most listens?

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 20 2011, 10:47 PM)
I have only been able to listen to the whole album once.  To me it is painfully bad...their worst album easily. Unfocused and bad need of editing.

You're a smarter man than I. I sat through it a ridiculous amount of times in a vain attempt to find anything worthwhile or redeeming in it. I was completely unsuccessful.

Not gonna lie, it was not my favorite straight off. I still do not care for One little Vic Tor ree yee. How It Is was a song that I hated at the beginning and now it has kind of grown on me. The rest of it is a solidly good album that I think gets better toward the end. Earthshine, SM, ST, Freeze and Nocturne are great songs. If they clean it up with a new mixing, it may very well get into the bottom of my top 15 favorite Rush studio albums.

Vapor Trails minus the bad production is the best Rush album since Presto.

Soooooooooo much better than Snakes And Arrows!!!!!!!

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 21 2011, 01:47 AM)

You listen to something once and you expect your opinion to have credibility? patron.gif have another!

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 21 2011, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 21 2011, 01:47 AM)
I have only been able to listen to the whole album once.  To me it is painfully bad...their worst album easily.  Unfocused and bad need of editing.  S&A is leaps and bounds better and more melodic.

You listen to something once and you expect your opinion to have credibility? patron.gif have another!

rofl3.gif

A bit of my lunch has shot out of my mouth.

You are the Redoubtable Defender sir!

VT's Perseus to Goob's Medusa!

Huzzah!

They should release the remix with a new track order. Never understood why some of the stronger songs were so close to the end.

1. One Little Victory

2. Ceiling Unlimited

3. Ghost Rider

4. Vapor Trail

5. Secret Touch

6. Earthshine

7. Sweet Miracle

8. Nocturne

9. Peacable Kingdom

10. The Stars Look Down

11. How It Is

12. Freeze

13. Out of the Cradle

I read the above post thinking he was ranking the songs. So that inspired me to rank the songs:

1. Sweet Miracle

2. Vapor Trail

3. Earthshine

4. Ghost Rider

5. Nocturne

6. Freeze

7. Secret Touch

8. How it is

9. Peaceable Kingdom

10. Ceiling Unlimited

11. One Little Victory

12. The Stars Look Down

13. Out of the Cradle

Ranking the songs:

1. Earthshine

2. Vapor Trail

3. Nocturne

4. Ceiling Unlimited

5. Out of the Cradle

6. Freeze

7. Ghost Rider

8. One Little Victory

9. Secret Touch

10. How It Is

11. Sweet Miracle

12. The Stars Look Down

13. Peacable Kingdom

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Apr 21 2011, 02:43 PM)
They should release the remix with a new track order. Never understood why some of the stronger songs were so close to the end.

1. One Little Victory
2. Ceiling Unlimited
3. Ghost Rider
4. Vapor Trail
5. Secret Touch
6. Earthshine
7. Sweet Miracle
8. Nocturne
9. Peacable Kingdom
10. The Stars Look Down
11. How It Is
12. Freeze
13. Out of the Cradle

They're toward the end so that the album gets better and better as you listen on! Who wants to listen to an album with all the good songs first then not as good? Nobody would finish the album. (Well, I would, I love the whole darn thing wink.gif )

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 21 2011, 06:16 PM)
Here's how I would re-sequence the album for better flow and to trim the weaker material:

Oh oops, did I accidentally delete every track? ohmy.gif

My bad!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Okay, it's not THAT bad...

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 21 2011, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Apr 21 2011, 02:43 PM)

1. One Little Victory
2. Ceiling Unlimited
3. Ghost Rider
4. Vapor Trail
5. Secret Touch
6. Earthshine
7. Sweet Miracle
8. Nocturne
9. Peacable Kingdom
10. The Stars Look Down
11. How It Is
12. Freeze
13. Out of the Cradle

They're toward the end so that the album gets better and better as you listen on! Who wants to listen to an album with all the good songs first then not as good? Nobody would finish the album. (Well, I would, I love the whole darn thing wink.gif )

Yeah, I hate it when the best tracks are first. There's no incentive to listen to the rest.

You know, in the era of cds the time format went from 40 minutes to 60 minutes. Even MP would have had some potential filler problems if it were extended to 60 minutes. There are 40 minutes of solidly good music on this disc. I always think of what an album would be like if it were whittled down to two twenty minute sides. VT would benefit from this. I think there may difficulty in getting rid of some of the good songs.

To me, if they were to re-record the album like this with my aforementioned 40 minute format, it would be a quite good, if not great album. This list clocks in at around 42 minutes, the length of signals.

Vapor Trail

Ghost Rider

Peaceable Kingdom

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Think about what this would do to some of the other post 80s albums. The last album to clock in at 40 minutes was GUP.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 21 2011, 06:16 PM)
Here's how I would re-sequence the album for better flow and to trim the weaker material:

Oh oops, did I accidentally delete every track? ohmy.gif

My bad!

Goober, you hate VT but you actually like Snakes And Arrows? That I can not wrap my brain around. Vapor Trails is light years better than Snakes.

Snakes And Arrows is as weak a Rush album as there is in my opinion. Although I don't hate it, its totally the bottom rung of Rush albums and sits next to Roll The Bones as the weakest album of there career.

I've had a hard time trying to get into VT. I love OLV, Earthshine, Nocturne, and Freeze, though. The rest of it, at least from what I can remember (been a while since I've heard everything on it), was kind of boring for me. Not too long ago I tried to listen to Peaceable Kingdom and almost fell asleep. wacko.gif Meh, might give it another shot soon.

If they re-recorded the album when they realized the production was crap, they would have came out with something truly amazing. Instead, it's just inaccessible to many.

Considering they were all coming back into an area that hadn't been visited in years, I have no beef with Vapor Trails.

Granted - it would have been a bit more wise to set the tracks, like someone else said above, where the best songs weren't at the beginning of the album.

It dwindles towards the end, and strays the attention.

Archived