Cygnus X-1 Duology: The Voyage vs. Hemispheres

GUP1771

Please forgive me if this topic has been brought up before. I'm curious, out of the Cygnus X-1 Duology, which do you prefer? Book I: The Voyage or Book II: Hemispheres?

Personally, I find Hemispheres to be more appealing. It does repeat itself a couple times, but I feel it's more epic compared to The Voyage, and that's not just because of it's length. I can't explain why it attracts me over The Voyage, all I know is that I find it very enjoyable. Maybe my opinion could change if I listen to Book I more, who knows?

I prefer listening to Hemispheres during long trips because of the lyrics and musical significance. But overall I give the tip of the hat to The Voyage because the instrumental sections aren't so long and repetitive.

I post this same topic a couple of months ago, you know? Jaja. Well my favorite is Hemispheres. The Voyage is an incredible song, but the music is very inconstant, is like hearing 3 different songs (i really don't like that) and Hemispheres is just epic epicness, probably my favorite epic song of all epic songs i have heard in my life.

I like both, but I'll go with the Voyage here. Probably the most musically intense thing they ever did. And that's saying a bit. Standout track on a standout album. I love Hemispheres, but this was just insane. Geddy's shreik at the end is unmatched.

Wow.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 15 2011, 10:12 PM)
Hemispheres is the most genius thing man has created, and I consider the Voyage only the prequel, so Hemispheres.

agreed

They're so drastically different. I can't really compare them fairly. xD;

I love The Voyage because it's so... bizarre. I don't know any other way to describe it. It's this epic song, not quite as long as its sequel, with some of the coolest bass lines pretty much ever, and an ending that's simply mind-blowing and leaves you begging for more...

...and then you get more, MUCH more, with Hemispheres. I love, love, love Geddy's vocals on this track, maybe one of my favourite performances of his. The whole song is astounding. It's a perfect balance kind of piece.

So, yeah, love 'em both, for different reasons.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 16 2011, 10:27 AM)
They're so drastically different. I can't really compare them fairly. xD;

I love The Voyage because it's so... bizarre. I don't know any other way to describe it. It's this epic song, not quite as long as its sequel, with some of the coolest bass lines pretty much ever, and an ending that's simply mind-blowing and leaves you begging for more...
...and then you get more, MUCH more, with Hemispheres. I love, love, love Geddy's vocals on this track, maybe one of my favourite performances of his. The whole song is astounding. It's a perfect balance kind of piece.

So, yeah, love 'em both, for different reasons.

agree even more

The Voyage is my go-to piece. I find the length very attractive, just about my ideal song length. I also love science fiction/space travel, so the lyrics hook me in big time. Oh yeah, and the music! I mean the whole thing has a tone about it that I don't think any other Rush song went for. It's dark. Yet where other tracks (the Necromancer) are dark and crushing, The Voyage is much eerier, which I think really helps set the mood about delving into the unexlpored. Then there's the whole change to a sense of excitement, before finally being swallowed up into the chaos of the black hole. Truly a marvelous composition, and, as noted above, some of Geddy's greatest wailing.

Both tracks are good, but I can listen to The Voyage over and over, where as after one play through of Hemispheres I'm satisfied.

I like them both. But im gonna have to go with The Voyage. I really enjoy the "upbeat" part. ( i set a course just east of lyra...) its cool how the lyrical content and music starts off dark and finishes dark after throwing the upbeat part in there. It really makes the song interesting that way.

Both outstanding and I can understand why someone would prefer one to the other. Part II for me.

Archived