Best sounding version of Moving Pictures

ak2112

With the release of the 30th Anniversary edition of Moving Pictures, we have a chance to compare many different masterings of this classic Rush album. Which is the best?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. With the release of the 30th Anniversary edition of Moving Pictures, we have a chance to compare many different masterings of this classic Rush album. Which is the best?

• Original U.S. Atomic
    • Canadian Anthem 1st Pressing
    • Japanese 25.8P
    • Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Master
    • 1997 Remaster
    • 30th Anniversary edition (Bluray or DVD-A version)
    • Japanese SHM-CD master

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 11 2011, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 11 2011, 10:16 AM)
MFSL is the very best for this album. Hands down no comparison. The original Mercury pressing (the red disc) is also very good. But if you want the very best sonic quality on a high end home system or a great car stereo the MFSL is the champion release.

Now the 5.1 BD version to my ears sounds amazing. A totally new way to listen to the album.

But I am talking about a true PCM stereo mix.

Shouldnt the BD and DVD-A versions be identical in terms of sound quality? I'm not as up on the features of all the various sound options but it seems if the DTS-HD and DVD-A are both losless 24bit/96kHz they should pretty much be the same, right? If I'm wrong please let me know as I'm woefully ignorant on this matter. Even worse, if they are different, that means I'll need to buy the BD version as well even though I already have the DVD-A! smile.gif

HDMI vs RCA or Digital optical is a better source for audio clarity and transfer. At least so they say. I do hear a slight difference on audio from HDMI vs RCA or Digital optical.

It is not a huge difference but if you have a blueray/HDMI setup it is only natural to buy that medium.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Apr 12 2011, 09:26 AM)
The best CD version is the MFSL.

I WISH they would release Yes Close To The Edge.
(or did they ever??)
Anyone know anything about that?

I have the Atlantic remaster of Close to the Edge and it is pretty damm good.

I don't MFSL ever remastered that album.

ak2112 : Do you have the Canadian Anthem 1st Pressing CD of Moving Pictures? I'm actually really curious to how it sounds. My preferred version right now is the original France pressing, but being a Canadian, I'd like to hear this Canadian release (which has proven to be quite elusive)!

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Apr 15 2011, 08:29 PM)
ak2112 : Do you have the Canadian Anthem 1st Pressing CD of Moving Pictures? I'm actually really curious to how it sounds. My preferred version right now is the original France pressing, but being a Canadian, I'd like to hear this Canadian release (which has proven to be quite elusive)!

I do indeed have the Canadian 1st pressing and it iss AWESOME! It is right up there with MFSL. I won it on ebay for a pretty good price so you should look on there frequently and I think you'll find a copy for sale. The Anthem Canadian has some wonderful dynamic range and a nice warm sound. I can tell you this much, it totally blows the new DVD-A version out of the water. That thing is a compressed, loud mess!

BTW, how do you like the French pressing? I didnt even know there was one! There are a ton of versions of this album but I dont know how many of them are unique masterings.

QUOTE (2112freak @ Apr 19 2011, 01:31 AM)
i didnt know there were sooooo many versions! doh.gif

is the MFSL version still available?

Its out of print but is available on places like ebay....for a price. Some are asking ridiculous amounts of $$ for it but if you're patient you can get it for around $30 or so.

QUOTE (2112freak @ Apr 19 2011, 01:31 AM)
i didnt know there were sooooo many versions! doh.gif

is the MFSL version still available?

Given that this version is out of print, not easy to pay regular price for and whatever you do pay isn't going back to Mobile Fidelity or the band, I think this is one occasion where "acquiring" a copy online is ok. Cheapest one on ebay is currently......$199!!! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 14 2011, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Apr 14 2011, 06:54 AM)
Ill take the 97 remaster...nice and loud.

Thats exactly like you'll get it, nice and loud....and distorted.

There is absolutely no distortion on the '97 remaster. You guys are nuts.

Find me a vinyl copy with equal or greater signal to noise ratio as any CD version, equal or greater dynamic range, consistent fidelity from edge to center, equivalent or greater stereo separation to that of any CD version, and equal wear on both sides of the groove or no wear at all.

Then, after I've fed my unicorn and watched a few episodes of the 4th season of Arrested Development, I'll listen to it, blindfolded, interchangeably with the '97 master, and the '97 master will always sound better, because in the digital vs. analog tractor pull, digital always wins.

Except for Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (thebernreuter @ Apr 25 2011, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 14 2011, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Apr 14 2011, 06:54 AM)
Ill take the 97 remaster...nice and loud.

Thats exactly like you'll get it, nice and loud....and distorted.

There is absolutely no distortion on the '97 remaster. You guys are nuts.

Find me a vinyl copy with equal or greater signal to noise ratio as any CD version, equal or greater dynamic range, consistent fidelity from edge to center, equivalent or greater stereo separation to that of any CD version, and equal wear on both sides of the groove or no wear at all.

Then, after I've fed my unicorn and watched a few episodes of the 4th season of Arrested Development, I'll listen to it, blindfolded, interchangeably with the '97 master, and the '97 master will always sound better, because in the digital vs. analog tractor pull, digital always wins.

Except for Vapor Trails.

I'm not sure what kind of mind altering substances you're using but all you need to do is look at a waveform of any track of the 97 remaster and you'll see it is brickwalled to shit. There are multiple sections, particularly on Tom Sawyer, where it goes to clipping. This sucker is loud and louder. There is NO dynamic range. Get a copy of the original US Atomic or better yet, the MFSL and you'll hear what real dynamic range sounds like. Your statement above is pure fantasy. You've been spending too much time hooked up to an iPod my friend.

However, I do enjoy your posts as you have a fantastic sense of humor. I think we could have some very lively debates about music, so carry on please smile.gif

I did another comparison test on my system using:

97 remaster

cd-r of the MFSL version (flac files converted to wav)

I have a laserdisc & dvd player hooked up to my amp. I played the cd-r in the LD player and the remaster in the dvd player (it won't play cd-r's) and set the volumn at 5. Switching between the two the MFSL was quite a bit lower compared to the remaster, to the point where I'd have to turn it up more to hear it good. I have not made a copy of the vinyl rip I have yet but I think my view will stay the same. The remaster is MY favorite version.

Whew, saved $300!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 30 2011, 04:23 PM)

I'm not sure what kind of mind altering substances you're using but all you need to do is look at a waveform of any track of the 97 remaster and you'll see it is brickwalled to shit. There are multiple sections, particularly on Tom Sawyer, where it goes to clipping. This sucker is loud and louder. There is NO dynamic range. Get a copy of the original US Atomic or better yet, the MFSL and you'll hear what real dynamic range sounds like. Your statement above is pure fantasy. You've been spending too much time hooked up to an iPod my friend.

However, I do enjoy your posts as you have a fantastic sense of humor. I think we could have some very lively debates about music, so carry on please smile.gif

There aren't really any dynamics on the record in general. It's not a jazz record or anything. It might be brickwalled, but I know digital distortion when I hear it, and it's not here.

I don't own any other masters of this record, so you could be right. I'll just remain ignorant on this one because I'm not enough of an audiophile to buy it nine times smile.gif

I don't mind the spirit of audiophilia; I just think scientifically there's very little evidence to back up the bitching about 24bit/192khz bluray nonsense being superior to CD audio in terms of what people can actually hear, there actually being more "resolution" in analog sources in terms of what comes out of the speakers - two samples per cycle is enough, four isn't really even necessary but whatever. People can spend their money however they like, but it makes me cringe a little when I hear about people spending a bajllion dollars on speakers, cables, weird headphone amplifiers, for minimal if any quantifiable gain.

I'm glad you appreciate my humor! Some find it excruciating. smile.gif

Archived