Game of Thrones

Code Red

Loved the second episode, much more well paced than the first...

(Views of a Book reader below, some book/show differences mentioned, but not past the point of the show, some caution if you ever do plan to read the book though)

LOVED seeing Pyke and the Greyjoys, the scene with Balon and Asha (Yara in the show) was amazing. (there is a scene I know is coming that I know is in the show that I saw from the trailers, but was supposed to happen right when Theon arrives on Pyke, but did not appear in the episode, I guess they just shuffled it around, no biggie. )

The Milsandre/Stannis scene at the end is another one that is not in the books but is hinted at as something that had happened ..

Loved meeting Salladhor Saan and his scene with Davos, and getting his backstory, however quickly.

The Gendry/Arya scene played out exactly as it was in the book, had to fist bump the air there. ...

I am not sure where they're going with the Jon Snow/Craster thing... in the book the Night's Watch gets their info from Craster (seen in episode 1) and there was the exchange between Sam and Gilly (Craster's Daughter-wife) but after that, they just kind of move on...nothing more... The whole thing at the end with the Wight Walker and the Baby did not happen at all.... no clue where they're going with that one..

I have one concern from looking at the casting for this season... notably a couple of characters not included.

(slight spoiler below)

Jojen and Meera Reed have not been cast yet, as far as I know... I have heard that they might give their place in the books to Osha....which I'm a bit iffy about

Great episode...Lots of Bangin'!!!!

Woohoo...Yeah!!! Lay dat pipe!!!

Really getting interesting too, can't wait to see what happens. I'm glad I didn't read any of the other books past the first one. Makes watching the HBO series much more enjoyable and exciting not knowing what happens next and comparing the two (yawn).

Can't wait until next week!!!

I'm watching Season 1 on DVD. I'm also trying to read the book but it's so long---800 flippin' pages. I feel sooooo exhausted. If & when I ever finish this book, I'm gonna read The Sword in the Stone by T.H. White. Incidentally, White's name is mentioned in the GOT under the list of reviews. People compare those 2 authors constantly. They're on the same plane, I guess.

Liked Episode 3..

I marathon read All of "A Song of Ice and Fire" after I watched season 1, and a few of the plot details of "A Clash of Kings" I could not remember off hand....

Like Tyrion sending Grand Maester Pycell to the dungeons, and his telling different secrets to each Varys, Littlefinger, and Pycell.... totally forgot that it happened that way in the books, had to go to the wiki of ice and fire to check it out as a reminder..

the same goes with Lommy Greenhands getting killed, I could not remember him murdered for......taking an arrow to the knee...(LOL)

I LOVED the fact that Yoren's death was on screen and he went out kicking some ass... you find out about his death later, but actually seeing it was amazing...sad, it was a good character, but how it was handled was amazing.

I'm finding this season a little underwhelming so far, tbh. There's a danger they might start to lose some of the audience, especially those who haven't read the books, if it continues to concentrate on the exposition and not move the story along a bit faster. Mind you, I wasn't so keen on A Clash of Kings as a book compared to the first and third novels in the series, either.

They need to dump the actress playing Shay, too - she's awful. I'm not sure Alfie Allen is good enough to carry off Theon's story, either.

Loved the Theon stuff in this past episode as well... both the letter burning and the confrontation with his father did not happen in the book, but this is where the TV show does better than the book.... these scenes help rationalize or at least lend some understanding to Theon's later actions...brilliant..

The other thing I loved was the Yoren/Arya exchange where he tells her his backstory (once again not in the book but sooo well done)... when Yoren tells Arya that he repeated the name of his brother's murderer over and over again as a "prayer" made me spasm with delight..... I bet anyone who's read the books would agree.

Just now finished last night's episode. We're really getting into WTF territory now, aren't we??

Great episode on the whole. Loved every minute of Tyrion, of course. And interesting development for Arya. Looking forward to seeing where that leads.

One small not really gripe, but minor annoyance as a book reader... They could have had Renly eating the damn peach when treating with Stannis.... is your budget that constrained you could not have the peach..

LOL, just kidding, I liked that scene very much....

Ep 4 - I thought it was the best episode of the season so far. Could have done without the scene with Joffrey and the prostitutes, tbh, but the rest was excellent. I thought the last scene was fantastic, I'd been waiting for it to happen. Quite amused that some viewers on other forums are finding that scene bizarre - it's a fantasy series, were they not expecting some weirdness? These are probably the same viewers who thought the show had lost the plot when the dragons first appeared ...

Quite happy at some of the stuff they cut out, too. The way the first three episodes had been so exposition heavy I thought they were getting bogged down, but some good choices about what not to include meant they finally got all the main storylines moving.

I'm sure Pyke was shown on the map in the opening credits, but none of the episode took place there, did it? Strange mistake, if so.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Apr 24 2012, 03:36 AM)
Ep 4 - I thought it was the best episode of the season so far. Could have done without the scene with Joffrey and the prostitutes, tbh, but the rest was excellent. [...]

The scene with Joffrey and the girls went from "hmmm..." to extremely uncomfortable pretty quickly. I'm just glad they didn't show the girl actually getting hit; when things escalated, they cut away from the actual strikes.

I can't wait until someone sticks a sword in that little prick.

Jack Gleeson, who plays the malevolent little bollocks, Joffrey, was made a Trinity College scholar last week.

Clever lad. I didn't know he was Irish, let alone a Corkonian, like myself.

(Trinity College Dublin is our version of Yale or Oxford/Cambridge, so this is some achievement)

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esr..._sBFt9Ce0Q1v44w

Just finished watching the first season on DVD last night. I loved it!!!

(Plus, it's great hearing my native Yorkshire accent on a major TV show)

"We've been sitting here for days! Start the damn joust before I p*** myself..."

Loved "The Ghost of Harrenhall" Jaquen H'Gar is freaking fantastic..... though I was a bit sad that they killed off The Tickler already (who meets his end in a MUCH more satisfying way in book 3) I guess they had to do someone in as the character Weese was cut from the books, (Arya's first name for Jaquen to kill in the book)

I was not sold on Stannis (well the actor playing him) for the first 4 episodes , but I liked him and felt he did a really great job in this episode..

Loved seeing Quorin Halfhand, (the ranger we meet north of the wall, the old guy Jon joins up with)

Shadow Baby killing Renly was very well done, but I feel that it would have felt better at the end of last weeks episode instead of the beginning of this one.....

The part where Brienne swears fealty to Catlyn was very, very good, and moving...

Pyatt Pryee (aka Lord Voldemort Looking Dude) was impressive, and I can't wait for the "House of the Undying" scene he mentioned in this episode.

Overall a lot of setup for the remainder of the season, but alot of progression as well...

The actors playing Theon and Brienne aren't up to it, imho. Liam Cunningham's brilliant as Davos, though, and little Maisie ... did Arya really just stare Tywin down?? ohmy.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I quite liked Jorah's speech to Dany. Halfhand is nothing like I imagined.

Great episode. For me, Arya and Bronn stole it, as usual biggrin.gif