Game of Thrones

Code Red

QUOTE (Code Red @ Jul 4 2011, 03:14 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 27 2011, 05:53 AM)
My wife and I couldn't get enough of this. We bought HBO to watch it and cancelled it shortly thereafter.

There are going to be 6 seasons, one for each book!!

Hang in there!

I watched the whole thing over the weekend. Thought it was good and would like to see the rest of the story.

Okay...... After finishing the first season I went back and read the first book.... and all I can say is WOW..the most faithful adaptation of any novel I have ever seen... there are some minor changes, and added scenes, but what little changes there are are minute..

The biggest change I can see is that in the TV show they age up the child characters quite a bit..

(SPOILERS for first book/season below_)

-In the books.. Jon Snow, Theon, and Robb are all around the age of 14, in the TV show, they are all about 19-21... I guess that makes sense because after Ned Gets Killed off, they no longer have a "leading actor" on the show, and all of a sudden there no one to hold that male lead... ageing these characters up helps eleviate that need for a TV show.

- They age Sansa and Joffery both up from 11 and 12 respectively in the book to about 15 in the show... I guess it makes it less creepy to have an engaged couple a bit older than them being pre-teens..

- and Lastly, and the one that makes the most sence is that Dany is aged up from 13 in the books, to about 17-18 in the show... as she is involved in some nude/sex scenes in the show... The actress that plays here is in her early 20s, and she can be passed off as an 17 or 18 year old.

Okay......I've read up through all of "A Storm of Swords" and I won't spoil anything that has not been commited to screen... but

Season 3 is gonna be one hell of a season!!!!!! (Even though we need to get through the Clash of Kings/Season 2 first)

and by the way... thought this was funny..

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnez2pjpvL1qm2yhlo1_500.png

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I watched all ten episodes during my trip to Las Vegas last week. I was so riveted that I actually hung out in my hotel room for ten hours (not all in a row, I'm not that pathetic) watching them all. Then I started reading the book, which I had brought with me.

Amazing. My new favorite series, a title that was previously held by The Wheel of Time.

Tyrion Lannister? Best character ever committed to page or screen in this type of setting.

The ages of the characters - and if you consider this a spoiler, that's just weird because only someone who has seen the series and/or read the books would know the difference (but you've been suitably warned) - the aging of the children makes total sense. You can't have underage actors doing the sorts of things that the children in the books do. Didn't bother me at all, and since I saw the series first, I tend to envision the actors while I'm reading. It's easy to ignore the few bits that reference Bran being 7, for example.

Edited by danielmclark

Based on all of these reviews perhaps I will give the series another try.

I love fantasy and have read a lot of it through the years (e.g. Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, The Silmarillion, C.S. Lewis Narnia books, The Wheel of Time, REH's Conan books, David Eddings, Raymond Feist, Katherine Kurtz, Barbara Hambley, Lloyd Alexander, Terry Brooks, Angus Wells etc, etc).

I read the first book in the series and was greatly impressed by the quality of the writing, the characters and the concept of a world with seasons years long. Did not like the lack of heavy duty magic in the book. Generally I like heavy duty magic in my fantasy.

Another thing I did not like was that a character I liked was killed off in the first book.

What really turned me off was, what I felt, a large scale use of events from a particular period in Earth history. Now I understand that this occurs in most fantasy and normally it does not bother me. What turned me off is that the specific historical events leave me somewhat, for lack of a better phrase, cold. I like reading history and the period and events in question just do not interest me at all. That, sadly, turned me off to the series right away.

I am trying not to say what events / time period I am referring to (although it should be obvious to anybody who has read the books and who has a half way decent knowledge of history) since it might be a mini spoiler. Those who have read the rest of the series and know what period I am talking about can confirm or deny. Some family names are close to people involved in the events and the map - give me a break - I will say no more.

Still, perhaps I will go back and give the next book in the series a try.

Does the series continue to stay somewhat faithful to the actual historical events I am talking about?? Please let me know. It may impact on my getting the next book in the series. Thanks.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jan 17 2012, 09:33 PM)
Based on all of these reviews perhaps I will give the series another try.

I love fantasy and have read a lot of it through the years (e.g. Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, The Silmarillion, C.S. Lewis Narnia books, The Wheel of Time, REH's Conan books, David Eddings, Raymond Feist, Katherine Kurtz, Barbara Hambley, Lloyd Alexander, Terry Brooks, Angus Wells etc, etc).

I read the first book in the series and was greatly impressed by the quality of the writing, the characters and the concept of a world with seasons years long. Did not like the lack of heavy duty magic in the book. Generally I like heavy duty magic in my fantasy.

Another thing I did not like was that a character I liked was killed off in the first book.

What really turned me off was, what I felt, a large scale use of events from a particular period in Earth history. Now I understand that this occurs in most fantasy and normally it does not bother me. What turned me off is that the specific historical events leave me somewhat, for lack of a better phrase, cold. I like reading history and the period and events in question just do not interest me at all. That, sadly, turned me off to the series right away.

I am trying not to say what events / time period I am referring to (although it should be obvious to anybody who has read the books and who has a half way decent knowledge of history) since it might be a mini spoiler. Those who have read the rest of the series and know what period I am talking about can confirm or deny. Some family names are close to people involved in the events and the map - give me a break - I will say no more.

Still, perhaps I will go back and give the next book in the series a try.

Does the series continue to stay somewhat faithful to the actual historical events I am talking about?? Please let me know. It may impact on my getting the next book in the series. Thanks.

I read the first book and found it to be like shovelling mountains of snow!!

I'm waiting for the TV series, I don't care if I miss the detail about geography, armor, food and other stuff that, surely ads flavor, but still takes time to read and doesn't change the story.

--------------------------MINOR SEASON 2/ "A Clash of Kings" SPOILERS BELOW (Highlight to Read--------------------- (if responding, use simular tags)

for those who have read book to, or do not care about spoilers..

Below is a list of events that happen/characters that appear that I am longing to see how they will be adapted... sort of a top 10 list..

Highlight to read.. (minor book 2/season 2 spoilers)

- First and Foremost is DAVOS FRIGGIN SEAWORTH... love his character in the books, and after Arya and Tryion is my 3rd favorite character. The former smuggler turned advisor to Iron Throne claimant Stannis Baretheon is virtually the Ned 2.0 for this season a very honest, and strong character, however his best moment's aren't in "A Clash of Kings" (Battle of Blackwater aside) and is greater developed in the 3rd book (A Storm of Swords) but I still cannot wait for his on screen debut.

- The Battle of Blackwater: In the book this is a battle of LOTR preportions, I wont go into the participants or what happens, but if the HBO budget allowances allow the show to present this as close as it was in the book....HOLY cow are we in for a treat, not mentioning that George R.R Martin penned the script for this episode.... Wildfyre alone is gonna be epic

- The Red Priestess- Another new character that plays a major part in book two, but much greater even later on in the series, look forward to seeing her..

- Ygritte, another character that Jon Snow will encounter north of the wall, but will play a much greater role in further seasons, you know nothing.

- Tyrion as acting hand of the king (this is not really a spoiler as Tywin Lannister sent him to Kings Landing to act as hand in his stead at the end of the first season), You thought Tyrion was amazing in season 1, he will be even more prominence this season.

- Joffery being the worst human being imaginable, he is really horrible in book 2, I hope the sociopathy he exhibited at the end of season 1 are brought into full imagining in season 2, just as he escalated in douchebaggary in book 2.

- Brieannne of Tarth- Another great, honset and honorable character introduced in this book, but not fully utalized until book 3... still a very great character and what development she had in book 2 is worth seeing brought to life to get excited about..

- Some of the Book 3 storylines that will be brought into season 2... without actually going into plot details Robb Stark and Jamie Lannister were almost non-existant in "A Clash of Kings" and the producers have stated that some of their story lines from book 3 "A Storm of swords" will be brought into season 2 at some point.

- Last and not least is Arya's story Arc. She is the best character in the books and on the show, what this character goes through over the course of the rest of the series (especially in book 2 and 3), are causes to cheer, be frightened, feel sorrowful, and all around love and adore her character.... Her journey is what I am looking forward to the most........... "valar morghulis"

So that's with some minor spoilers is what Im looking forward to seeing in season 2.... "A Clash of Kings" is very much a step above "A Game of Thrones" I hope the show can bring the amazing book to life as it did in season 1..

Less than 2 WEEKS!

Loved the Premier.....amazing, if a bit over quick paced and a tad jumpy (there was alot in this episode).

I did have a few issues...as a book reader (no spoilers on future events, but I do note on changes from the book....read with some caution)

- The Cersei/ Littlefinger confrontation was not in the books at all... and a bit awkward.....while Littlefinger's loyalties are always shady, the Lannisters from their POV are convinced that he is an ally... this scene kind of throw that into a bit of disarray.

- Joffey knowing about his parentage, it is never explicitly mentioned in the books wether or not Joffery knew of his lineage, but with Stannis' rumors it is obvious he would have at least heard of them... but in the show not only does he confront Cersei about it (not in the book) but seems to accept and acknowledge it.... Joffery is never a POV character so who's to say this scene didn't happen off page... just a bit different.

- Craster- A very small gripe.. Craster, the guy who the Night's Watch visit beyond the wall,the guy with all the daughter/wives... looks nothing like I pictured him, Craster is a wildling who is on friendly-ish terms with the Night's Watch. I imagined him a lot more uncut and dirty....well wild..

- Ros... The Red headed whore from season 1, who is now the "whore coach" in kings landing..... PLEASE write her out of the script, she is not a character in the books and only seems to exist for pointless T&A...what a waste of screentime.

- One thing I did like is actually seeing the purge of Robert's Basterds... it did happen in the book but was off screen (...or off page), seeing this purge was shocking and powerful....

- Craster- A very small gripe.. Craster, the guy who the Night's Watch visit beyond the wall,the guy with all the daughter/wives... looks nothing like I pictured him, Craster is a wildling who is on friendly-ish terms with the Night's Watch. I imagined him a lot more uncut and dirty....well wild..

Yep, we tend to see such a nasty person in our minds eye as being, well... nasty.

I am doubting my memory on his pjysical description in the book.

The sex scene was fairly yawnsome - the killing of Robert's baby was far more shocking. Nice to see that Ros has risen so far already, though laugh.gif

Loved the scenes between Tyrion/Joffrey, Tyrion/Cersei, Cersei/Littlefinger, Robb/Jaime, Cersei/Joffrey. Fairly impressed with the newly cg'd Grey Wind. I did notice that the blacksmiths where we met Gendry in season 1 suddenly seemed to be on top of a hill - wasn't it in a crowded street last time? - an indication of increased production values, I guess.

On first viewing I wasn't convinced about the casting of Stannis and Melisandre. I thought maybe Liam Cunningham might have been better as Stannis rather than Davos - but maybe that's because I pictured Davos as being slightly younger (I always imagined him as a James Purefoy type when I was reading the book).

Mostly talking heads, but a decent scene-setter. A solid 7 out of 10, I'd say.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 2 2012, 01:09 AM)
Anyone else notice that Peter Dinklage now gets top billing in the credits? Pretty awesome!

Very first thing I noticed!!!!

Good episode.

I only read the first book and had a really hard time doing so. I enjoyed the first HBO series of GOT but always felt myself comparing it to the book which I feel sort of marred the experience. I have not read any of the other books and really don't have plans to, so I kind of found myself enjoying this second season (although only 1 show in) more and hope to enjoy it more.

Can't wait for next Sunday.

I really appreciated that we finally got a scene depicting the extrasensorial nature of the Starks and their direwolves, even though it was only Bran. I think this point, although slightly alluded to in season 1 could have been made a bit stronger, as well as this bond between the direwolves themselves.

but maybe that's because I pictured Davos as being slightly younger (I always imagined him as a James Purefoy type when I was reading the book).

yep

Edited by burgeranacoke