Game of Thrones

Code Red

QUOTE (willowroolz @ May 1 2012, 07:32 AM)
The actors playing Theon and Brienne aren't up to it, imho. Liam Cunningham's brilliant as Davos, though, and little Maisie ... did Arya really just stare Tywin down?? ohmy.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I quite liked Jorah's speech to Dany. Halfhand is nothing like I imagined.

Great episode. For me, Arya and Bronn stole it, as usual biggrin.gif

Bronn rules.

Hard to believe he was part of Robson & Jerome......

Cracking episode last night.

Great episode last night..... a few things..

1. As a book reader, and the fact that I know what non readers do not, I cannot discuss the end of this episode... other than boy Theon is quite the ass hole..

2. The whole Danereys plot in Quarth is WAAAAAY different in the book, no one stole her Dragons in the books, and she goes to the House of the Undying as a guest, not to "save her dragons"... but... While last weeks episode ending with her dragons being stolen did confuse me as it's a massive departure from the books, I have to say that this week's episode convinced me... this does add a bit of Drama to her plot line as she did not have much to do in book 2.

3. Jamie Lannister, I admit I loved his scenes there, and his escape (which happened in the books, but you didn't see it) was fun to watch, as well as the introduction of Lord Karstark. Though I have to say all these scenes at Robbs camp actually happen at Riverrun (Where Catyln's father Hoster Tully is Lord), and I am really missing not seeing the Blackfish (Cat's Uncle) and Edmure Tully (Cat's Brother), but I imagine we'll be seeing them in season 3.

4. I LOOOOVE the scenes between Masie Williams and Charles Dance (Arya, and Lord Tywin) not in the books at all, but damn were those good to watch... though in the Books the narrative does set up Tywin as a character to hate, these scenes humanize him...still very good.

5. Also interested in seeing Jon Snow's plot line, the ending with him surrounded by the Wildlings never happened in the book... in the books after not beheading Yegritte he just lets her go, and Snow returns to Quorin Halfhand.... interested in seeing how they get back and not stray too far from the books.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 14 2012, 08:44 PM)
Great episode last night..... a few things..

<snip>

Your books-vs-show breakdown is cool... but I think I've decided to watch the show in its entirety (or at least get a few seasons down the road) before trying to pick up the books again. I read about 50 pages of the first book, but being pressed for time, I haven't continued. I think I'm just going to wait a while. I'm having too much fun with the show.

Interestingly, my wife only started watching it two weeks ago, starting with season one, with me. So now I'm all caught up, and watching every Sunday, and she and I watch it together when time permits. It's *very* enlightening watching it over again from the beginning - I'm catching a lot of details that I didn't the first time around. A lot of characters that I'm seeing in Season Two, I'm seeing "for the first time" so to speak, in Season One. I mean that I'm making connections between characters and locations in the rewatching that I didn't before... if that makes sense wacko.gif laugh.gif

Couple of PSs

Another note on Jamie Lannister, I really loved his conversation with Cat regarding the futility and contridctory nature of taking vows. It really opens up Jamies character earlier on and reflects some of the inner monolgue that you see from Jamie when he becomes a POV character in book 3, hopefully this carries over into season 3 as well.

....and " You know nothing, Jon Snow" hell yes!

I've been following the HBO series since the beginning but just recently started reading the books. I'm almost done with the first book, mid-way through the second season on HBO. Hopefully I'll be done with the third (or fourth) book by season three.

Really loving both the books and the show!!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 15 2012, 10:21 AM)
I LOVED that Jamie addressed the conflicting vows. It's something so obvious and yet so overlooked by almost all authors of this genre of fiction, I've found.

Defiantly loved that he became a POV in book 3 and you actually start liking and understanding the guy... I hope that carries over into the show.

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 15 2012, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 15 2012, 10:21 AM)
I LOVED that Jamie addressed the conflicting vows. It's something so obvious and yet so overlooked by almost all authors of this genre of fiction, I've found.

Defiantly loved that he became a POV in book 3 and you actually start liking and understanding the guy... I hope that carries over into the show.

Liking? Wow. I can't imagine that. Now I'm even more excited about his story going forward.

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 24 2012, 06:54 PM)
The episode "Blackwater" is this Sunday... written by George R.R Martin himself....Anyone who's read the book know how epic the episode will be.

I'm so damn ready for this episode... I haven't even read that far in the novels yet, but just the build-up from the show alone has me counting the minutes.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 24 2012, 09:05 PM)
The episode "Blackwater" is this Sunday... written by George R.R Martin himself....Anyone who's read the book know how epic the episode will be.

I'm so damn ready for this episode... I haven't even read that far in the novels yet, but just the build-up from the show alone has me counting the minutes.

I'm excited as well....Although interesting (and I understand they are building the story) the last couple of episodes have been kinda slow so I'm ready for the big blow up.

How many more episodes in this season?

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 25 2012, 03:58 AM)

I'm excited as well....Although interesting (and I understand they are building the story) the last couple of episodes have been kinda slow so I'm ready for the big blow up.

Two. This Sunday and next.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 28 2012, 08:12 AM)
Another great episode!!!

I'm sure the story is starting to stray pretty heavily in places from the books, but who cares, it's really turning out to be a great series.

Too bad there is only one more show until next season.

There was nothing not awesome about last night's episode. I even liked Sansa now that she's starting to grow a backbone. The Hound, on the other hand... while I love his character development, I don't see him living past next week unless something really surprising happens.

Spoiler space for a question I have...

Where did Tywin come from? Did he mention he was riding for King's Landing last week and I just don't recall? The timing of it was rather... convenient.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 28 2012, 10:27 AM)
Another great episode!!!

I'm sure the story is starting to stray pretty heavily in places from the books, but who cares, it's really turning out to be a great series.

There was nothing not awesome about last night's episode. I even liked Sansa now that she's starting to grow a backbone. The Hound, on the other hand... while I love his character development, I don't see him living past next week unless something really surprising happens.

Where did Tywin come from? Did he mention he was riding for King's Landing last week and I just don't recall? The timing of it was rather... convenient.

Yeah, he said an episode or so ago he was going there. Don't know if you remember but Ned Starks youngest daughter Arya (the one who was always feeding Tyrwin Lannister) was trying to put a hit on him before he left that beat up castle but missed her chance and they would uo just walkjing oput of that place....Well anyway she was trying to put the hit out on him before he left to go to battle in the last episode.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 28 2012, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 28 2012, 10:27 AM)
Another great episode!!!

Yeah, he said an episode or so ago he was going there. Don't know if you remember but Ned Starks youngest daughter Arya (the one who was always feeding Tyrwin Lannister) was trying to put a hit on him before he left that beat up castle but missed her chance and they would uo just walkjing oput of that place....Well anyway she was trying to put the hit out on him before he left to go to battle in the last episode.

Ohhh that's right. I remember now he left Harrenhal, but I didn't put two and two together in my head. Thanks.

What a satisfying payoff for a whole season of build up... a near perfect episode (Not too much of a surprise as it was written by GRRM)...

- The closing song "The Rains of Castamere" was equally impactful, taken right out of the books.. was very impactful... (it was also the song Bronn and friends were singing before the battle)... and it will not be the last time we here this particular tune...

- Renly's Ghost!, well not really... It happened quite quick in the show, but I loved that they actually included... Ser Loras showing up wearing Renly's armor.. (leading to the belief that Renly's ghost came with Tywin to the aid of Kings landing)...was great, albiet happening fast.

- One small...not issue, but small curiosity I do have is that Stannis was not captured in the books, as he appears to have been in the episode. In the books Stannis is able to retreat with the small remnants of his forces when he is defeated... This is quite a significant departure, and I am wondering how this is gonna be resolved.

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 28 2012, 07:30 PM)
What a satisfying payoff for a whole season of build up... a near perfect episode (Not too much of a surprise as it was written by GRRM)...

- The closing song "The Rains of Castamere" was equally impactful, taken right out of the books.. was very impactful... (it was also the song Bronn and friends were singing before the battle)... and it will not be the last time we here this particular tune...

- Renly's Ghost!, well not really... It happened quite quick in the show, but I loved that they actually included... Ser Loras showing up wearing Renly's armor.. (leading to the belief that Renly's ghost came with Tywin to the aid of Kings landing)...was great, albiet happening fast.

- One small...not issue, but small curiosity I do have is that Stannis was not captured in the books, as he appears to have been in the episode. In the books Stannis is able to retreat with the small remnants of his forces when he is defeated... This is quite a significant departure, and I am wondering how this is gonna be resolved.

To me it didn't look like he was being captured just dragged off by his own men.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 28 2012, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ May 28 2012, 07:30 PM)

- One small...not issue, but small curiosity I do have is that Stannis was not captured in the books, as he appears to have been in the episode.  In the books Stannis is able to retreat with the small remnants of his forces when he is defeated... This is quite a significant departure, and I am wondering how this is gonna be resolved.

To me it didn't look like he was being captured just dragged off by his own men.

He was yelling "stand and fight!" at the time, so... I don't know. Could have been his own men, could have been him being captured. I thought at the time that he was being captured, but maybe not confused13.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 25 2012, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 25 2012, 03:58 AM)

Two. This Sunday and next.

Seems like this season has flown by! I was wondering if there were less episodes than last season so I looked it up. Same number, 10! It's amazing how quickly they've all gone. Doesn't give me much time to catch up in the books.