Top 10 Overshadowed Rush Songs

The Slanny Ganizat

My comments on your selections:

First of all, I don't listen to much of the newer Rush so I'm not going to comment on those.

Turn The Page - certainly one of the better songs on the ablum. I agree it gets overshadowed by Force Ten and TSS (which is way overrated).

Red Lenses - one of the weakest songs on the album if not the weakest. So I can't agree with you on this one.

Digital Man - not a big fan of this one either so I think it is good that it is overshadowed.

Territories - I agree with your analysis on this one. I think Big Money doesn't live up to it's billing. Middletown Dreams would be another overshadowed song.

Something For Nothing - I really don't think this one is overshadowed so much. Certainly takes a back seat to 2112, but is probably the 2nd 'most known' song on the album along with Bangkok. I think Lessons is the overshadowed song on the album.

In The End - agreed. Behind By Tor, Anthem, and the title track, it is indeed a hidden gem.

Farewell To Kings - agree 110%. They really need to see/hear this song live before I die. And for good measure, please wear the kimonos.

In no real order, but I'll do a top ten anyway

Chain Lightning

One of the best from Presto. Why did they not play this live, but they played that piece of garbage War Paint??? (Realize it's on your list but it's one of their weakest moments IMO)

Cinderella Man

One of the more interesting shorter songs of their earlier days. The main riff is awesome and the bridge is very different and unique for them.

Open Secrets

Another one from the 'why the !@#$ didn't they play this live??' file. HYF was quite an emotionally driven album, and this song really encapsulates that feeling perfectly. It's moody and dark, and one of their highest moments of the 80's.

Stick It Out

People seem to dislike this song, yet I find it to be one of the strongest hard rock songs they've ever put out. The chorus is awesome, and the lyrics are pretty cool as well.

In The End

One of the best songs of their earlier years. I'm not a huge fan of the debut album or FBN, but this song is definitely my favorite from all those songs. I could see them pulling this one out live again

Emotion Detector

It's been mentioned a lot lately on this board, but still, it's the only song from PoW that's never been done and it's virtually ignored by the majority of fans. This is the best song on side 2 of PoW IMO. I love the solo and the overall mood of the song. It's token 80's production

Neurotica

Just kidding, this song sucks in every way.

Peaceable Kingdom

It feels sort of like a Half The World ripoff but it's got a pretty awesome riff about 3:18. Might be the coolest Rush riff of all time actually. Wish they'd made that riff the basis of the song actually. What a killer moment on an otherwise plodding record.

Virtuality

I have the useful ability to tune out lyrics (they don't even really bother me on this song either), and since that's the major beef about this song, it's good that I can concentrate on the music, because it's easily the most interesting song musically they did in the 90's. Another killer Alex riff. Great prechoruses with the cowbells and aux. snare. I love the chorus melody too.

Grand Designs

The most underrated song in their catalog. It has Geddy's best vocal performance ever, the lyrics kick ass, the music is catchy and almost pop-punkish in a way. The synths are going crazy on here, but that's alright with me. Wish they'd play this one live again. I believe Alex briefly mentioned it as a distant possibility when discussing what song would be on the Time Machine tour.

I agree on these:

10. War Paint
8. Double Agent
6. Nocturne
5. Digital Man
1. Farewell to Kings

Especially Nocturne and Digital Man. Both are among my all time favorites. 1022.gif

I agree with you on several of those, esp. Territories.

From Moving Pictures, I'd have to say Vital Signs. It's the last song, is almost completely outside the rest of the style of the album, and follows a whole bunch of jaw-droppers. It doesn't quite "fit" and thus it gets overlooked, IMO. Perhaps not lately since it's on the current setlist, but generally? Yes.

I agree with most of the OP's top ten.

I never see any discussion of Out of the Cradle--that's one of my top favorites from VT--I think it's a tremendously triumphant song & an excellent closer.

Also___Digital Man, The Body Electric, Emotion Detector, Open Secrets (!!!!!), Double Agent.

VT is under-appreciated as a whole I think: Ceiling Unlimited (!!!!!), Peaceable Kingdom, Stars Look Down, title track (!!!!!), Nocturne (Possibly my favorite off the album), & Freeze too.

Lately I have been obsessed with The Body Electric. Great song.

I think these are overlooked tunes as well:

Open Secrets

Kid Gloves

Chemistry

Cinderella Man

Beneath Between Behind

Bravest Face

Alien Shore

The Big Wheel

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 7 2011, 09:57 PM)

Farewell To Kings - agree 110%. They really need to see/hear this song live before I die. And for good measure, please wear the kimonos.

AFTK, yes.gif x 1000 yes.gif

kimonos, no.gif x 1000 yes.gif They're not 23 anymore with bad taste no.gif

Archived