Worst Thing that Can Happen to A Rush Fan

Today, my dad and I were headed down to Nashville from Houston to see Rush at Bridgestone Arena. We were gonna see them in Austin over the summer but we couldn't make it so we decided to see them in Nashville. We arrived at the Houston Hobby Airport this morning only to see that our flight and all other flights to Nashville today had been canceled on Southwest because of recent plane problems. We checked Continental, and they had no flights to Nashville. We talked to some employees but they could do nothing. And I bought tickets on the first day of pre-sale around 3 months or more ago. Now instead of being at the concert which I should be at, I'm at home imagining what could have been. Has anyone else here missed a Rush or any band concert because of airline issues.

You have my sincere sympathies man. And no, myself I've always driven/ridden to see the band. Not a big fan of the whole airline/flying process now that security is so f***ing tight. Back in the old days (70s, 80s and 90s old.gif ) flying was much more enjoyable.

Dude,

That really sucks.

I remember opening night of the S&A tour in Atlanta.

I had a flight booked for early in the morning of the show and a room booked at the airport.. flying back home the next day.

At about 12:30pm the day before the show I got an e-mail telling me that my flight for the following day (the day fo the show) was cancelled and that they would book me on the next available flight.. which would of course get me in to Atlanta the day after the show!!

Well, I called Northwest and got a very helpful representitive on the phone. Told her the situation.. I was going to a concert and had to get there on time. Well, she tells me that all flights were sold out except one that was departing 90 minutes from right then.

Now.. understand.. the airport is 45 mins from my house. Security at the airport is typically a nightmare.. AND I had no time to arrange a hotel for that night.

BOOK IT! I told her. Got the confirmation number and printed out my boarding pass within 10 mins. Got an overnight bag packed and hit the road to the airport.

I made it onto that flight literally 3 minutes before they closed the door and made it to Atlanta for opening night '07.

I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you. I could not imagine how I'd feel in your situation sad.gif

I don't even want to imagine something like that happening! Which is why I always attend shows that are close enough to drive to.

That is such a bummer. I feel some of your pain, since I had 7th row in Toledo and can't make the reschedule, but at least I found out early enough to get a refund on all but hotel (luckily, we were planning to drive). I still have another show left, too. I've talked with people on here who had shows during other tours postponed and didn't find out until after the plane landed...what heartbreak.

I've been thinking of going to Vegas as a replacement for Toledo, but I'd have to fly out same day. Given your experience, and the fact that I've done this before and lucked out, I realize my luck my not hold out much longer.

It sure is a risky endeavor when traveling long distances...I hope Rush plays a lot of closer dates in the future that you'll be able to attend. Was this to have been your first? hug2.gif

Oh man, that sucks. I'm sorry sad.gif

My sympathies to you. This is terrible, and it sucks.

I can share a concert disappointment from my past. It's not airline related, but it was painful.

Back in the 70's, (before internet and cell phones), a friend and I traveled to Toronto and booked a hotel for a few days. We did some sightseeing and went to the CNE. The main reason for the trip, however, was to see our favorite group at the time (Chicago) in concert at Maple Leaf Gardens on the last night of our vacation. As we approached the Gardens that night, it seemed rather quiet. We got to the door and a notice was posted that the concert was canceled. It was a bummer and a let down, since we looked forward to it so much.

As someone who likes to travel to shows now and then, this is something that always worries me a little. Remember the guy who sued over his missed show because of weather?

So first, I always go to indoor shows when I travel. Went to Vegas last time (and the next time too).

As far as the flights, well there's only a certain amount you can control. We always go in the day before for a little margin of error.

Since we're flying Southwest this time, I've been watching the news thinking I'm glad our show wasn't this weekend. Hopefully they'll have everything patched up by then!

wacko.gif

In any event, I'm really sorry this happened to you. I missed out on U2 last year because they had to reschedule, and they did it at a time I'm going to be out of state. Bummer.

You know what I would do if I were you - I would write a nice, kind letter to the band's management and ask them if, maybe, they can give you a pair of comp tickets for a future show.

Now, I KNOW the odds are stacked against you, but, hey - they can't be any worse than the odds of your airline nightmare!

Maybe if you:

1) keep the letter "nice" (no bitching and moaning about "you didn't get what you deserve" nonsense)

2) send the pair of unused tickets with your letter

3) prove to them somehow that you live in Texas and were planning on quite a long trip.

4) show them your cancelled plane reservations while reminding them of the "cancelled flight" fiasco this week.

Stranger things can happen.....

Good luck

Clem

I feel bad for you. As a rule of thumb I always leave one day early for an event if I go by plane. When I have to travel to Toronto by car, I always leave at least 12 hours in advance.

It just means you'll get an awesome seat in the next concert.

QUOTE (clem @ Apr 4 2011, 07:52 PM)
You know what I would do if I were you - I would write a nice, kind letter to the band's management and ask them if, maybe, they can give you a pair of comp tickets for a future show.

Now, I KNOW the odds are stacked against you, but, hey - they can't be any worse than the odds of your airline nightmare!

Maybe if you:
1) keep the letter "nice" (no bitching and moaning about "you didn't get what you deserve" nonsense)
2) send the pair of unused tickets with your letter
3) prove to them somehow that you live in Texas and were planning on quite a long trip.
4) show them your cancelled plane reservations while reminding them of the "cancelled flight" fiasco this week.

Stranger things can happen.....
Good luck
Clem

that might actually work....

I'm so sorry you missed the show!

I had to be the bearer of bad news to several people who were mid-air from the east coast when Rush canceled the 2008 Red Rocks show. I knew when people were landing and it was awful to be the first call off the plane telling them there was no show sad.gif

Yeah red rocks was not a fun day. At the least I had a vacation strung around the concert date, so I enjoyed my time in Colorado. But I bet a lot of fans were just coming in for the show, as I had done the last time. That would have really sucked if after driving for 3 days the concert didn't go.

I remember reading over on RT a few years back of someone who spaced on the date, went to the venue the next day, but the concert was the previous evening. I'm very thankful I have never have missed a show due to a cause out of my control. It just sucks when the have to move dates.

QUOTE (Enviro_tech @ Apr 5 2011, 05:22 PM)
Yeah red rocks was not a fun day. At the least I had a vacation strung around the concert date, so I enjoyed my time in Colorado. But I bet a lot of fans were just coming in for the show, as I had done the last time. That would have really sucked if after driving for 3 days the concert didn't go.

I remember reading over on RT a few years back of someone who spaced on the date, went to the venue the next day, but the concert was the previous evening. I'm very thankful I have never have missed a show due to a cause out of my control. It just sucks when the have to move dates.

I remember someone on RT being pissed off at me because the show got canceled!

We made the best of a bad situation ET! You and Mikey were feeling no pain when you left my house biggrin.gif