Power Windows

micgtr71

I adore Power Windows. It fluctuates with Permanent Waves as my favorite Rush record.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 16 2011, 10:56 PM)
I love that tune as well but for me it's "Middletown Dreams."  Underrated gem.

I would be blown away if they were to play that one live! yes.gif

This times a million. I would love to hear that one live before they call it quits.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 16 2011, 08:52 PM)
"Scars" is the "Mystic Rhythms" of the "Presto" record. JMO

I always thought that it sounded more like "Territories".

But, yeah, Power Windows. Great album, and one of my top three Rush albums, along with Hemispheres and Presto.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 16 2011, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 16 2011, 08:52 PM)
"Scars" is the "Mystic Rhythms" of the "Presto" record.  JMO

I always thought that it sounded more like "Territories".

But, yeah, Power Windows. Great album, and one of my top three Rush albums, along with Hemispheres and Presto.

Good point! "Territories" is also beyond beyond when it comes to Neil's drumming.

I'm so glad I saw "Territories" performed live on the "Power Windows" Tour.

That would be another song I would love to see Rush pull out of their cobwebbed canon.

Glad to hear all of the good press for Territories. This, and Middletown Dreams, are the ones that I would love to hear again.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 16 2011, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 16 2011, 07:41 PM)
It is a very good album, but I burned out on it from too much play and mindplay.  I still can't listen to it without getting that blah feeling.  Its like getting drunk on peach schnapps (yes, I did this).  It was good going down at the time, but nowadays just the smell of it makes you feel barfy!

laugh.gif

Pass the peppermint schnapps. 062802puke_prv.gif

First time I ever got totally shit faced was on peppermint schnapps.

Went down to a place in the ghetto of New Haven where the guys take big bottles of liquor, pour it into smaller bottles and sell it out of their houses for five dollars....that was a great night...Power Windows hadn't been released yet though.

Side 1's waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy the best.

Swap Marathon for Territories and I wouldn't bother listening to side 2. You'd then have a killer 4 track EP.

The production is just soooooo 80s

Wish I could get the feeling of this album being great, but to me it's ok. I like Big Money, Grand Designs & Emotion Detector but the others not so much.

Maybe I'll revisit this album later today. It's been a long time since I've heard this cd all the way through.

I love Grand Designs, lyrically and musically...

great record

I've never been a fan of "Middletown Dreams," which I think is too banal and cliched for a Rush song with Peart-penned lyrics. But overall, the Power Windows album is terrific!

For many years I didn't give it the attention it deserved. Then we played "Rush Survivor" (based on the reality TV show) over at the old Tri-Net board, and the final two albums were Permanent Waves and Power Windows. I thought, "Really? Fans think PoW is one fo the band's top two albums?" So I looked at the track listing on the back of the CD. Wait a minute... all these tracks (except "Middletown Dreams") are excellent! How could I have not seen it? laugh.gif

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I think "Emotion Detector" is sadly overlooked by people. It's an excellent song! The lyrics and the message are terrific.

I can't get into this one, the synths and production just kill it for me. I relate it mentally with Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, in that the production really hinders my appreciation for the music. That being said, I enjoy watching bass covers of the tracks on Youtube.

There are a lot of synths on the record but I think that they are perfectly done. As far as the sound being dated, I think that I would rather choose the term historically accurate. It still sounds powerful, but not in a cheesy 80s way.

Power Windows is one of their best and probably my favorite, if not Signals.

When I recently bought a new turntable, Power Windows was the first album I put on.

The Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Territories

Middletown Dreams

Emotion Detector

Mystic Rhythms ............all great songs!!!!!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 17 2011, 04:52 AM)
His vocals on "Presto" kill.  I love that record.

I completely agree with you.

I love Power Windows, every song on this album is at least great. Even Territories, which is my least favorite. Side 2 is great, but I prefer side 1.

Power Windows is my third favourite album; got into it in 1987 after a period of not listening to much Rush; would also have to give side 1 (vinyl rules!!) the nod as well but it is close. Perhaps their last perfect album. Fave tracks Marathon and Territories (and The Big Money and Grand Designs... oh sod it, all of them...)

PoW is hard for me to really hard get into. By all means, it's a great album, but there's just a few downer songs that it just lessens the overall quality of an otherwise great album.

There's three songs that I don't like. Those are "Emotion Detector", "Grand Designs" and "Middletown Dreams". This leaves about less than 30 minutes of music, which is good to me. If it weren't for these three songs, I would totally listen to this album in full. Regarding actual vinyl sides, I'd have to go with side one. Strong opening with TBM and it keeps that all the way until the end of "Marathon". The second side has two of my favorite songs (MR and "Territories"), but it just seems like an entirely different energy. I thought it was great to end the album on MR though, seeing as how it's a great atmospheric piece with some of the greatest synths I've ever heard from Rush.

Overall, it's a great album but only OK in some places.

I prefer side 1 in that every song is excellent musically and lyrically. On side 2 'Territories' kicks ass and is as good as anything on the first side. 'Mystic Rhythms' is really good and atmospheric and one of their most unique tracks. The other two are solid, middle of the pack Rush songs. A great album overall though not quite as awesome as GUP (my fave of the synth era).

I have several versions of PW on LP and I just bought a sealed UK import. I gave a quick wash and put side 2 on and was blown away.

ANALOG IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love territories

But i never really got into GD but Marathon Territories Middletown and Emotion Detecter are the never not into Big Money

Archived