Grateful Dead

I once played in a band with a bass player who said, "no self-respecting Rush fan can also like the Grateful Dead." We went our separate ways shortly thereafter.

Been a fan for a looong time, but really got into GD live show collecting about 10 years ago. At current count, I have about 800 live shows -- not even half of whats out there. My favorite GD eras:

1968-early 69: Psychedelic Dead at it's finest. The setlists were a bit more predictable here, but the jams are unbelievable.

1972-1974: The live shows were PERFECT here. Nothing like a 45-minute "Playin' in the Band" to make your day.

1977: It's already been mentioned what a watershed year this was. Straight-ahead rocking Dead at it's best.

1987: Another late-career golden era. Jerry has a new lease on life, Touchheads starting to dominate the scene, but again, the sets were perfect. Brett Mydland emerges as the unsung hero of the decade.

1990-91: The final live peak before the slow downward spiral.

I do have a soft spot for the 1980 Warfield Theater and RCMH acoustic/electric runs, as well as portions of 1995. Despite all the negativity surrounding that last year, moments of brilliance still emerge, and their sound was just so crystal clear on that last tour.

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 10 2011, 11:14 AM)
cool10.gif for some reason i have listened to more dead in the past week than in the past 10 years. common001.gif

taking me back to my tie-dyed freak days. 1022.gif

..thats a very good thing... trink39.gif

Nothing like some good ol grateful dead!

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 11 2011, 04:45 AM)
cool10.gif  for some reason i have listened to more dead in the past week than in the past 10 years.  common001.gif

taking me back to my tie-dyed freak days.  1022.gif

The Grateful Dead are awesome. Best American band ever. yes.gif biggrin.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 11 2011, 06:45 AM)
cool10.gif  for some reason i have listened to more dead in the past week than in the past 10 years.  common001.gif

taking me back to my tie-dyed freak days.  1022.gif

trink39.gif indeed.

Driving home yesterday (on the Grateful Dead station on Sirius), heard THE best Sugaree ever. 10/16/77 from Baton Rouge. Over 17 minutes.

Only problem is that it is now a commercial release on Road Trips Vol 1 No 2, so you can't stream it live from archive.org. There is a shitty AUD recording available, but I wouldn't recommend that. A quick youtube search was not successful either.

So, anybody have a SBD of that show that they might want to do a trade?

(I also looked on itunes to see if I could download just the song, but no luck either)

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Sep 15 2011, 09:29 AM)
Driving home yesterday (on the Grateful Dead station on Sirius), heard THE best Sugaree ever. 10/16/77 from Baton Rouge. Over 17 minutes.

Only problem is that it is now a commercial release on Road Trips Vol 1 No 2, so you can't stream it live from archive.org. There is a shitty AUD recording available, but I wouldn't recommend that. A quick youtube search was not successful either.

So, anybody have a SBD of that show that they might want to do a trade?

(I also looked on itunes to see if I could download just the song, but no luck either)

good luck hunting that down.

still on a grateful dead bender these days. cool10.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 24 2011, 02:09 PM)
Listening to Furthur from Ithaca in 2010 today. Great show. I am so glad they are touring again. The band sounds fantastic.

Yes, John seems to have brought some new life to the band, as well as sounding like the old Jerry as opposed to the helplessly strung out Jerry.

Got to see spring tour in Hampton, summer tour in Raleigh, and already have tickets for fall tour in Charlottesville (and was at 2 Red Rocks shows last summer).

Love the Dead. Many of their albums get a lot of play here. Touch of Gray and Throwing Stones get stuck in my head all the time.

Have seen them a few time, best was the 3 day show in Telluride Co in 1987, was there all 3 days, what a party. Show started early and went till late at night, taking some nice long breaks, never heard the same song twice, played about everything.

trink39.gif

The final Dead and Company tour is coming to a close.

I think I've seen about 35 D&C shows.  I decided to do a bunch of shows this tour with it being the last.  But the band is on fire.  Last few tours were good but not great.  The Dead and Slow theme didn't inspire me much.  But the band is on another level now.  

Anyways, went to the Bristow, VA show and made it to the 3 night run in Boulder.

Was not at the Gorge, but will be in San Fran for the final 3 shows.

Did want to add that the drone show in Boulder was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

• Like 1

The guys I jam with love the Dead.  We play a number of Dead tunes, and this Friday I got them to add Fire on the Mountain to the rotation. :7up:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goose said:

The guys I jam with love the Dead.  We play a number of Dead tunes, and this Friday I got them to add Fire on the Mountain to the rotation. :7up:

My favorite versions

• Like 1