Ideas on meeting the band?

tapermike

Has anyone had luck in meeting the band during the TMT? I am a long time fan who has had the most difficult time meeting the band. I almost met them in New Orleans in 1992 but seems like they like to "Run From the Fans". In fact this incident inspired my naming the CD "Run From the Fans"

I have met U2, Pearl Jam, and Eric clapton but no Rush.

Help please!

U2 and Eric Clapton?

How'd you manage that?

I almost met Edge @ their port studio in Dublin in 2002. On my way back into town after hanging outside the studio building for a couple of hours, Edge passed me in his black Mercedes on his way to the studio sad.gif

I did wave hello to Sam, Larry Mullin, Jr.'s drum tech when he look out the studio door, though smile.gif

I was a U2 nut in 1992 and met Edge and Bono in Austin at the Frank Erwin Center. We waited for when they arrived and they came and talked to a group of fans in a small hill behind the arena.

I met Clapton in an elevator in Los Angeles. No joke - he was really nice! Too ban I am not a huge fan.

very cool smile.gif

Good luck meeting the members of RUSH. I wish I had suggestion, but I don't. I think they have a pretty tight security. Hope you meet them anyhow smile.gif

Funny you should ask... I'd been trying to find tips on meeting Rush too, ever since I got my tickets for Greenville....

I even reached out to Anthem, and they sent me a response back basically stating that the band wants to meet as many different fans as possible instead of repeats and in order to keep it fair for all fans, the only way to get Meet & Greet tickets are through contests (either radio or through Rush's own contests).

They said that they don't want the meet & greets to consists of people "in the know" or with "inside sources". So, they strictly enforce that the meet & greet attendees be fans who have won contests....

Unfortunately, from what I've seen and heard, the meet & greets are composed largely of people who have "friends" and inside sources...not contests winners.

I'm not mad about it, though... It is what it is.

Edited by Gemari77

You are right about that. I was at West Palm Beach show last year and they added an extra row on chairs in the front just to accommodate all the "so called' "not connected" "not in the know" fans. It so happend that all these people knew each other, went to frequent shows, and all had meet and greet passes.

Honestly I have been following bands and going back stage for years with bands like Metallica, Cure etc and Rush is the most difficult band to meet.

QUOTE (Gemari77 @ Mar 1 2011, 09:10 AM)
Unfortunately, from what I've seen and heard, the meet & greets are composed largely of people who have "friends" and inside sources...not contest winners.

Trust me, the bulk of those meeting Geddy and Alex are contest winners. We had a very large crowd at the Meet-and-Greet I went to - the band usually likes to keep it to about 25 people each night, but we had over 40. Myself and two others were from Clear Channel Radio, and the rest were all contest winners.

Want to meet the guys? "Caller number 9, right now, with the 'phrase that pays,' and you win..."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 1 2011, 12:18 PM)
Unfortunately, from what I've seen and heard, the meet & greets are composed largely of people who have "friends" and inside sources...not contest winners.

Trust me, the bulk of those meeting Geddy and Alex are contest winners.

GeddyRulz is correct. Meet & Greets are very rarely for "connected" people. Geddy & Alex really do love their fans and M&G's are their opportunity to show their appreciation.

Wanna meet Geddy & Alex? Find a radio station contest and rapid-fire-dial until you get through! laugh.gif

they added an extra row on chairs in the front just to accommodate all the "so called' "not connected" "not in the know" fans.

Nah... it just doesn't happen like that. Trust me, truly "connected" people don't get M&G passes.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Mar 1 2011, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 1 2011, 12:18 PM)

Trust me, the bulk of those meeting Geddy and Alex are contest winners.

GeddyRulz is correct. Meet & Greets are very rarely for "connected" people. Geddy & Alex really do love their fans and M&G's are their opportunity to show their appreciation.

Wanna meet Geddy & Alex? Find a radio station contest and rapid-fire-dial until you get through! laugh.gif

they added an extra row on chairs in the front just to accommodate all the "so called' "not connected" "not in the know" fans.

Nah... it just doesn't happen like that. Trust me, truly "connected" people don't get M&G passes.

That's nice to know... It's just that most of the meet and greet stories I've read on these forums since 2002 have always started "a friend of mine who works on the crew.." or "a friend of a friend had extra M&G passes...". And as much as Anthem stressed how the band doesn't like repeats... I keep seeing photos of the same folks at multiple meet & greets each tour....

But again, I'm never mad at other people's good fortune/luck.... I'll keep trying the local Greenville contests.

Edited by Gemari77

There always seem to be at least one contest through the Rush Backstage Club http://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/index.html each tour.

Also, through Music Today presale ticket purchases.

I believe that someone is selected for each stop who purchase tickets and any other memorbilia offered.

And, as posted, through your local rock radio stations.

All the best Tapermike

~RGLT

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

Actually I have a friend who's brother is the main soundguy for the sound company they and all the big bands use and he got passes for the last couple of tours. He has actually stood behind Neil's kit etc, and has met the guys several times. Not just a meet and greet pass.

I have tried to score some passes from him in the past but they always go to the guys in whatever band he is playing in at the moment. angry.gif

But the worst part is that some of the guys that get the passes aren't really fans of the band, but when they get a pass suddenly they are fan #1 062802puke_prv.gif

Maybe for this tour i will get lucky since they were just here last summer and maybe the 'fans' won't care this time around.

I will let you guys know if I can score some this time!!

Enjoy the show anyway!!!!!!!

Edited by stdio

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Mar 2 2011, 05:32 PM)
Kidnap them. Worked for Trailer Park Boys

They only kidnapped Lerxst, but it might work. Anyone want to team up on this? tongue.gif

Edited by usb_connector

My tip would be to find another band to meet and just call them Rush smile.gif

Seriously though, any chances of meeting the entire band are very slim. My suggestion would be to work at getting a job as a roadie or try and guess what hotel they might be staying at and hope you get very lucky-and not arrested as a stalker.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Feb 27 2011, 04:56 PM)
Send BEER to Neil it helps.
Sending bullets to his security dude Praetorian helps too smile.gif

Hang around cheese shops to meet Alex.
Hang around High Class Oenotecha to meet Geddy.

rofl3.gif

that is SICK!

...and WRONG!!!

but damn hilarious! trink38.gif

I find I enjoy Rush more if I just forget about ever meeting them. The chances are so slim! When I first became a Rush fan I wanted desperately to meet them, but when I started calling the radio stations to win, I could never get through. I tried through Music Today, but found out that you have to be a U.S. resident. I'm a Canadian who usually travels to U.S. shows, and if you read the fine print, you have to be a resident of the state for most radio contests. Now I just enjoy going to the shows. But I still dream about meeting Alex on the golf course, Neil on the birdwatching trail, or Geddy in the wine store! It would have to be a chance meeting, but you never know!

Please help us who don't understand this terrible obsession of meeting the band by explaining why it is so important to get a personal audience with them...........?

It's peculiar behavior bordering on dillusional.......if I may say.

I look forward to your feedback, thank you in advance.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Mar 3 2011, 01:05 PM)
Please help us who don't understand this terrible obsession of meeting the band by explaining why it is so important to get a personal audience with them...........?

I have a few theories about this. As human beings, I think we want to get close to those we admire. Why? Because we hope that their fame, wealth, success and perceived happiness will rub off on us. I've read some articles about the phenomenon of obsession with celebrities that agree with me on this point.

Second, in the case of Rush, they are such incredible musicians, and musicians want to meet them because they consider them to be mentors. I found it interesting that when Alex was interviewed a while back, he said that he was really excited to meet Jimmy Page, one of his heroes.

Third, a lot of us just want to be able to say "thank you!" and be acknowledged as fans.

Like I said in my earlier post, I just try to focus on enjoying the band and their incredible music. Even though I would like to meet them, it's important to keep things in perspective. They're just people, after all.

QUOTE (On TheRoad To Adventure @ Mar 3 2011, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Mar 3 2011, 01:05 PM)

I have a few theories about this. As human beings, I think we want to get close to those we admire. Why? Because we hope that their fame, wealth, success and perceived happiness will rub off on us. I've read some articles about the phenomenon of obsession with celebrities that agree with me on this point.

Second, in the case of Rush, they are such incredible musicians, and musicians want to meet them because they consider them to be mentors. I found it interesting that when Alex was interviewed a while back, he said that he was really excited to meet Jimmy Page, one of his heroes.

Third, a lot of us just want to be able to say "thank you!" and be acknowledged as fans.

Like I said in my earlier post, I just try to focus on enjoying the band and their incredible music. Even though I would like to meet them, it's important to keep things in perspective. They're just people, after all.

Excellent rebuttal.