Rolling Stone Top 10

clem

Once agian Rolling Stone proves what a shit mag it is. John Bonham number 1 all time ? The guy was not even the best drummer in the 70's

I kind of expected the top 3, especially from rolling stone readers..

...but ringo? f**k. he himself calls himself an average drummer with funny fills. I doubt he believes he's better than Buddy Rich! all too often people confuse "best player" with "player is the most popular band"!!

ok now that I think about it, I do have a problem with the top 3! just watch the video guy geez!!

While I don't think Ringo belongs in the top 10, there should be no debate that he's a damn good drummer. He was able to deliver with whatever musical style John, Paul or George threw his way. Definitely deserves 11 to 15 status.

Where the hell are Ian Paice and Carl Palmer? Why Ginger Baker and not Mitch Mitchell? eh.gif

Calling Ringo Starr a great drummer because of how influentual he was is an old and IMO a somewhat weak argument. Of course he was influentiual. He was in the frickin' Beatles! The whole world has heard their entire catalog a gazillion times. And in the 50's, when rock drummers that did anything outside of a 4/4 beat were rare, then he'll definitely be influential. But end of the day he was as basic as they come and was a guy at the right place at the right time. The Beatles success had ZIP to do with Ringo.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 10 2011, 11:02 PM)
While I don't think Ringo belongs in the top 10, there should be no debate that he's a damn good drummer. He was able to deliver with whatever musical style John, Paul or George threw his way. Definitely deserves 11 to 15 status.

Where the hell are Ian Paice and Carl Palmer? Why Ginger Baker and not Mitch Mitchell? eh.gif

Heck...there are rock drummers today who will dust those last guys you mentioned. Todd Sucherman is currently plays with Styx is a monster. Look up one of his vids. Maybe a solo vid? Also love Dean Castronovo who's with Journey right now. I think Portnoy belongs on there. He is real creative and a monster double bass player. Vinny Caluoita(sp?) He's not an all rock drummer but he may be the top living drummer right now.

I do agree with Stewart Copeland being in the top 10 I always liked his style. The Buddy Rich placement is a disgrace but what else does one expect from RS.

Gene Krupa... Buddy Rich...

Man, I wanna listen to some jazz now!

Where's that Charlie Parker CD... It's somewhere around here...

Hm, that's the other thing, where was Krupa on that list!?

Just sayin', if the list had truly been put together by people who know all music, particularly jazz, I bet at least half of those "top ten" would've been percussionists who at least specialize in jazz. Because, in my opinion, while it might not be as "exciting" (per se) in a technical sense they're the masters of the craft. It's insane.

...But I'm pretty sure Neil would make the list anyways.

(It would've been neat to see him do more jazz studies though... ph34r.gif )

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 10 2011, 11:02 PM)
Why Ginger Baker and not Mitch Mitchell? eh.gif

This! It's almost a shame that Mitch Mitchell ended up with Jimi, as Hendrix's guitar playing totally overshadows Mitchell's fantastic drumming. Regardless, they were a great pair.

In regards to Rush, I rank Peart above Bonham. I've largely moved past my Zepp days (though I recently got Physical Graffiti, so maybe I'll plunge back in), but Bonham's drums never stood out to me as a highlight of the music.

Someone I think often gets underrated is Bill Ward of Black Sabbath. Great drumming on the first few albums, and not a bad vocalist either.

Edit: Also to chime in on the Ringo debate: I think Ringo gets a lot of flack for receiving so much fame in the Beatles, but not being a primary songwriter. No one in that band is a virtuoso, and the music doesn't require virtuosity. If the Beatles had really busy drumming it would just ruin everything. Also, I think in the end it's good they didn't have four great songwriters, because they couldn't handle three! Is Ringo the BEST drummer? No, but he isn't the worst, and he fit what they were doing.

And what would have been this "dave lee roth something" "journalist's list of drummers of all time, that I'd have liked to read.. ? Alex Van Halen maybe the best because of his set, the second ?

I adore Neil (more maybe of his skills of intelligence and words, perfect master clock for a band), Bonzo, and Copeland (one of the very best ever). Cozy Powell would have been on my list (and the one also seen on concert). There are a lot of others too..

QUOTE (presto123 @ Feb 10 2011, 07:58 PM)
Top 3 are OK if you're talking rock drummers. Although I hate Keith Moons style. Talk about over-playing and not playing for the song. But the poll didn't say rock drummers. There are a lot of guys most of you probably haven't heard of that are miles ahead of any of those rock guys if you're talking strictly technique. Even Neil has been quoted as saying " there are at least 50 guys better than me". Anyhoo...for me it does boil down to style. Neil has a ton of chops but it's his style and creativity that makes him the best rock drummer. No offense to Bohnam but I feel Neil is much more creative.

goodpost.gif

Archived