Biggest Surprise?

HolySmoke

Hey, this is my first post so I'm sorry if this is an old or nonsensical topic.

I was just wondering what the biggest surprise(s) people had at the gigs this year in terms of how live performances of songs turned out, for the better or worse?

May will be my first Rush gig and I'll be very surprised if I enjoy Stick it Out, and equally surprised if I don't absolutely love every other song (especially Presto and TCE).

Cheers Guys.

Welcome HolySmoke!

With the "Time Machine" tag to the tour I was surprised they did not play some really closet or vault stuff. I was not disappointed though! Loved MP front to back and look forward to hearing it again in Cleveland.

2.gif

My biggest surprise was at the Albuquerque show, which was the first show on the tour, was getting to see Presto played for the first time ever and was stunned and that was my favorite part of that concert.

My biggest sirprise for this tour was that they did Presto for the first time. Adding Marathon was also a bit of a surprise. But since i've seen them so many times live there was nothing about the performance that surprised me at all because I knew how great they are live and what to expect.

There is one surprise in the first set that I won't tell you about because then you won't be surprised when it hits you.

But here's what I will share:

I was surprised that more vault stuff didn't make it into the setlist.

I was surprised by how much I loved Time Stand Still. I've never liked the song before, but this version with less synth and no Aimee Mann vocals is really, really good.

I was surprised by the arrangement changes to Marathon and Closer to the Heart. I liked the Marathon changes and LOVED the new third verse for CTTH.

I was surprised by how heavy BU2B sounded.

Presto sounded great, but I wasn't surprised by that. The stage production is flawless, but I wasn't surprised by that either.

You are in for a treat. Rush puts on one of the best live shows of any band EVER. I remember hearing Geddy say in an interview that he learned early on from touring with Kiss how important it was to bring your "A" game every night and to really give people their money's worth at each and every show.

My biggest surprise (and I didn't know the setlist ahead of time) was that I didn't get any good surprises.

With the great surprises on the S&A tour such as Entre Nous and Circumstances, I was expecting another 'B-side classic'. Especially with Alex mumbling about wanting to play more of these type songs before the tour. I was certainly upset not to hear Jacob's Ladder which I thought for sure was going to happen.

With that said, my favorite unexpected song of the night was Marathon. Although I think the setlist to me was a dissappointment, each and every song rocked out and put a big smile on my face smile.gif

My first Rush show ever on the VT tour in Hershey. It was at the brand new Giant Center and the sound in that place was unbelievably loud. I had no clue what to expect and when Neil hit that first crash to bring in Tom Sawyer and I saw that I was truly in the same room with those three I was in total shock. I almost cried. One of the most memorable events of my life.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 9 2011, 08:30 PM)
Welcome!

I was very surprised with Leave That Thing Alone. They seemed to really enjoyed playing it and Geddy's bass playing was awesome. 1022.gif 2.gif

yes.gif Geddy tore it UP on that song!! 1022.gif

And, welcome! I wouldn't say that I was "surprised" that I absolutely LOVED TCE and Presto, but I am so glad that they didn't disappoint. Presto especially came across VERY well live. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Welcome to TRF! trink39.gif

I was surprised by almost everything because I hadn't seen the set list beforehand. I knew they were doing all of MP but that was the only thing I *did* know. Many of the songs were new to me because of my "blind period" and I enjoyed everything. When they went into La Villa at the encore, I almost fainted with joy (it's my very favorite).

These guys are amazing live. You will definitely enjoy it yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 14 2011, 01:31 PM)
I figured Camera Eye would be good, but not THAT good! Hands down the highlight of the setlist, particularly the masterful job Alex did on the solo.

Not only that...not being a huge fan of Moving Pictures...how cool hearing the WHOLE album in one fell swoop is! That was a highlight of when I saw them, and can't wait to hear it done again!

(although, not quite as cool as seeing Roger Waters do The Wall live, but pretty damn close!)