The Gorge - Good or Bad

Spike

I'm curious about some TRFers' comments about The Gorge in Seattle. I've never been - but I was under the impression that it's a really cool venue. Today I've seen some people say they hate it.

So I'm wondering - do you like concerts at the Gorge or not, and why?

[i've flown out from CT to see Rush at White River, and I really didn't like White River. It was just like any other shed, and the traffic afterwards was the worst I've ever been stuck in. I've always said I want to go back to Seattle to see Rush at The Gorge - so I'm planning it for this year.]

Thanks!

QUOTE (Spike @ Jan 20 2011, 12:03 AM)
I'm curious about some TRFers' comments about The Gorge in Seattle.  I've never been - but I was under the impression that it's a really cool venue.  Today I've seen some people say they hate it.

So I'm wondering - do you like concerts at the Gorge or not, and why?

[i've flown out from CT to see Rush at White River, and I really didn't like White River.  It was just like any other shed, and the traffic afterwards was the worst I've ever been stuck in.  I've always said I want to go back to Seattle to see Rush at The Gorge - so I'm planning it for this year.]

Thanks!

I too saw them at White River (last August, in fact! 1022.gif ) and It was alright, but nothing spectacular in my book. As far as traffic, the worst I have EVER been in has been The USANA in West Valley City (Salt Lake), UT. Takes me at least an hour just to get out of the parking lot every time, and I have seen Rush there 3 times. I go because it's usually the closest they come to me, and the venue is pretty good. But, parking...Uuuuggg.... 062802puke_prv.gif

Haven't been to The Gorge yet. Always wanted to, because I hear it's just a beautiful venue. I believe Neil said that it was one of his favorite places to play.

Edited by Rushchick10

The Gorge is in an absolutely beautiful venue... at least the setting is. The parking is a right pain in the butt. Not paved, dusty, crowded.... especially in the summer. The seats are uncomfortable so bring a stadium seat pad. If you don't have one - BUY one. Alcohol is served and can be brought back to seats. It has several eateries, though.

Also, it's a fairly long drive from Seattle and there are only a few hotels within a 10 mile radius.

Neil loves it, Jaime's right. He loves the setting and the sunset painting the Columbia gorge. And I hear that the backstage area is very nice. But for us, it's... meh.

Here's why Neil likes it so much:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p-RP8efQaTk/THZ2CkwP-5I/AAAAAAAAAXs/sr7Zma_MvAY/s1600/The+Gorge.jpg

Yeah, it IS pretty spectacular...

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 20 2011, 02:04 AM)
The Gorge is in an absolutely beautiful venue... at least the setting is. The parking is a right pain in the butt. Not paved, dusty, crowded.... especially in the summer. The seats are uncomfortable so bring a stadium seat pad. If you don't have one - BUY one. Alcohol is served and can be brought back to seats. It has several eateries, though.

Also, it's a fairly long drive from Seattle and there are only a few hotels within a 10 mile radius.

Neil loves it, Jaime's right. He loves the setting and the sunset painting the Columbia gorge. And I hear that the backstage area is very nice. But for us, it's... meh.

Here's why Neil likes it so much:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p-RP8efQaTk/THZ2CkwP-5I/AAAAAAAAAXs/sr7Zma_MvAY/s1600/The+Gorge.jpg

Yeah, it IS pretty spectacular...

Looks like the group I will be with is going to be camping near by. Probably better for my budget. I have a truck with a camper shell and an air mattress and sleeping bags. Good enough for me and my son for a night or two. cool.gif

I'll be up from Twin Falls for the Portland show a few days earlier, and hanging out with family in that area until The Gorge show. 1022.gif Should be great. I really love it up there, and any excuse I have to travel out that direction...well, I take it. biggrin.gif

To be totally honest the Gorge overall sucks. After many shows over the last 10 years here is what you have to look forward to. A long drive to get there from almost anywhere and a long drive back late at night unless you want to stay at the campground (aka District 9). Not too bad getting into the parking but a long walk down to the seating.Beautiful place to watch a show but after wards prepare for a long, long slow trudge uphill back to a packed lot (good luck finding your car) and then the longest wait to get out of the lot and back onto the highway for you long return home (for most people). One hint for those in the area that complained about traffic getting out of the White River Amphitheater, it ain't nothing compared to the Gorge and if you want to make it easy on yourself just enter and leave the WRA from the east and you will get in and out in a few minutes tops smile.gif

I recall watching the Dave Matthews Band Gorge concert DVD, and it seemed like a pretty cool looking place. The band members loved it.

Never been there though so I can't offer any insights into what it's like to see a show there, but as for parking, I can't imagine that it's any worse than the Molson Amphitheatre

QUOTE (KTMMan @ Jan 20 2011, 02:00 PM)
To be totally honest the Gorge overall sucks. After many shows over the last 10 years here is what you have to look forward to. A long drive to get there from almost anywhere and a long drive back late at night unless you want to stay at the campground (aka District 9). Not too bad getting into the parking but a long walk down to the seating.Beautiful place to watch a show but after wards prepare for a long, long slow trudge uphill back to a packed lot (good luck finding your car) and then the longest wait to get out of the lot and back onto the highway for you long return home (for most people). One hint for those in the area that complained about traffic getting out of the White River Amphitheater, it ain't nothing compared to the Gorge and if you want to make it easy on yourself just enter and leave the WRA from the east and you will get in and out in a few minutes tops smile.gif

Unfortunately, he's spot on. About everything, especially the, "good luck finding your car at night." You really, really, REALLY need to pay attention to where you park because the parking lot is a huge, dark field.

But even what seems like a big hassle, the gorge is a wonderful amphitheatre. White River was gross and disgusting. I'm sorry, but I will never go to another show there. It was my first time there and it was icky.

Gorge-ous George, WA drool1.gif

i had a GREAT time seeing 2.gif in 2008 yes.gif

but it might have been the company that i LUV'd so much wub.gif

YaYa flew in from Toronto, and I flew up from Phoenix,

and Lady April, God bless her, hostessed us for The Gorge and Portland. 653.gif

good times! biggrin.gif

the traffic WAS very busy at The Gorge, but we were expecting it. confused13.gif

its all good. trink39.gif

hope you have a fantastic time, Spike! cheer.gif

The Gorge is a great venue, BUT, as far as Rush is concerned, it's not as good as the White River, and here's why:

Because of the winds and what not blowing in from the gorge itself, Rush can't do all the pyro stuff that they normally would do (safety hazard). Also, you don't really get the full light show experience that you would under the cover of the White River, because there is no covering over the reserved section of the Gorge. So the cool lighting effects don't really kick in until he second set (because it's daylight when the show starts).

With that said, the setting is beautiful at the Gorge, so it's worth it for that reason alone. traffic does suck... perhaps even worse than the White River.

I saw the last S&A show at the gorge. The venue is fantastic. It was very windy that night causing the hanging speakers to sway and twist, it had a bit of an affect on the sound quality but overall, for me it was a good show.

I look forward to seeing them there again

question about gorge seating -- are the 200 sections as portrayed on the Live Nation seating map? i.e. there's a defined aisle between the 100 & 200 sections? Or is it just one big slab of seats that arbitrarily becomes the 200 section once you're a certain distance back from the stage?

QUOTE (cheech44 @ Jan 27 2011, 12:37 PM)
question about gorge seating -- are the 200 sections as portrayed on the Live Nation seating map? i.e. there's a defined aisle between the 100 & 200 sections? Or is it just one big slab of seats that arbitrarily becomes the 200 section once you're a certain distance back from the stage?

there is a railing between the 100 and 200 series seats. and there is a railing/bulkhead wall between the 200 and grass seating areas.

each area is clearly defined.

QUOTE (cheech44 @ Jan 27 2011, 01:02 PM)
thanks -- wanted to make sure my little guy would have an unobstructed view from the front of the 200s.

any recommendations on how early to get there prior to the show to deal with parking, etc?

The gorge is out in the middle of nowhere, 2 lane county/country roads in and out. Parking is in huge fields and as said earlier can be dusty in the drier months. I would suggest you target to be there as much as 2 hours early just to be sure. I've only attended the one Rush show at the Gorge so my experience is based on that only. We rented a hotel room in nearby Moses Lake.

This time my daughter lives in the Wenatchee area so we'll just drive to her house after.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 20 2011, 08:03 PM)
Gorge-ous George, WA drool1.gif

i had a GREAT time seeing 2.gif in 2008 yes.gif

but it might have been the company that i LUV'd so much wub.gif
YaYa flew in from Toronto, and I flew up from Phoenix,
and Lady April, God bless her, hostessed us for The Gorge and Portland. 653.gif

good times! biggrin.gif

the traffic WAS very busy at The Gorge, but we were expecting it. confused13.gif
its all good. trink39.gif

hope you have a fantastic time, Spike! cheer.gif

That was a damn good time yes.gif

I do remember it being quite an epic journey back to the truck in the dark with hundreds of equally drunk Rush fans. It was a nightmare trying to get outta there, but we blasted some Rush and just chilled.

Driving all the way to Portland the next day while hungover was fun too. laugh.gif

Thanks for all the responses. I never realized The Gorge was 2 hrs from Seattle (duh) - until yesterday. My brother from Seattle is back in CT for a few days, and he just told me how far it is and that's why so many people camp. Hmmm...

Well - he's really excited for the concert, and he's stoked that I got 20th row center tix for us. Now we'll just have to decide whether we should camp overnight or drive back, knowing that my poor husband will be all alone in my brother's apartment because he doesn't like Rush!! wacko.gif

QUOTE (Spike @ Jan 30 2011, 09:37 PM)
...my poor husband will be all alone in my brother's apartment because he doesn't like Rush!!  wacko.gif ...

heehee 'Non-Rush Fan' tongue.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Spike @ Jan 30 2011, 07:37 PM)
Thanks for all the responses. I never realized The Gorge was 2 hrs from Seattle (duh) - until yesterday. My brother from Seattle is back in CT for a few days, and he just told me how far it is and that's why so many people camp. Hmmm...

Well - he's really excited for the concert, and he's stoked that I got 20th row center tix for us. Now we'll just have to decide whether we should camp overnight or drive back, knowing that my poor husband will be all alone in my brother's apartment because he doesn't like Rush!! wacko.gif

15th row! I want to meet you!

You want to know what's weird, or scary, depending on your point of view. The last time I saw Rush at the gorge, I was in section 103, row 15, seat 29. For this next show, I'm in section 103, row 15, seat 26. It was not planned that way or anything.

I've been to the Gorge many times over the last 20 years and it is probably the most beautiful venue that I've been to. However, the complaints lodged above are all valid.

- Long drive to and from Seattle.

- Takes forever to exit the lot. The lot attendants will guide you right into your spot when you arrive, but they are nowhere to be seen after the show. It's literally a free-for-all. Be prepared to sit in your vehicle for over an hour before you can even pull out of your spot.

- The campground is basically just a grassy field. It gets pretty noisy there and some people have a diffucult time sleeping. There are, however, quite a few motels in Ellensburg, which is about an hour west of the Gorge.

- It can be blisteringly hot there. When I saw Pearl Jam there a few years ago, it was actually about 110. Eddie Vedder said that it was reported to be 116, but I have a hard time believing that.

I've seen Rush there three times and am not really anxious to do so again. My buddy and I are going to road trip to Vancouver, BC. Comparable drive time and so much more to do before/after the show.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 31 2011, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (Spike @ Jan 30 2011, 07:37 PM)
Thanks for all the responses.  I never realized The Gorge was 2 hrs from Seattle (duh) - until yesterday.  My brother from Seattle is back in CT for a few days, and he just told me how far it is and that's why so many people camp.  Hmmm...

Well - he's really excited for the concert, and he's stoked that I got 20th row center tix for us.  Now we'll just have to decide whether we should camp overnight or drive back, knowing that my poor husband will be all alone in my brother's apartment because he doesn't like Rush!!  wacko.gif

You want to know what's weird, or scary, depending on your point of view. The last time I saw Rush at the gorge, I was in section 103, row 15, seat 29. For this next show, I'm in section 103, row 15, seat 26. It was not planned that way or anything.

Definitely Janie!! There are so many people I want to meet out there! My poor brother has *no* idea what he's in for. We've gone to about 4 Rush concerts together, but this one will be different for him!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 31 2011, 03:43 PM)

Janie: I'm section 103, 13th row, seats 29 & 30. Wondering how far to the left that is and how good the view over to Ged's side is? Also if you'd like, say "hi". I'll be the REALLY tall guy (6'6") most likely in the white GUP t-shirt with another really tall guy (my brother, same height).

Edited by driventotheedge

The Gorge is spectacular. The first time you come over that rise, and see the stage, well there is nothing quite like it. But having said that, the weather conditions can be miserable. Its very windy, it can be very hot and very cold in the same day. I got hailed on one year. There is food, and beverages though, and you can camp out. I have been there a few times, and I suspect I will go again, but when I can see Rush within 20 min of my home in Portland, I will pick that venue.