The Official Beatles Thread

Soni

I like the late Beatles much better than the early Beatles. My favorite albums are Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, and Magical Mystery Tour. The White Album is great but there's a lot of filler (i.e. Yer Blues) but it has awesome songs on it like Glass Onion, Revolution 1, etc.

My favorite songs are I Am The Walrus, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and A Day in the Life.

The Beatles were an awesome band and MCartney/Lennon were amazing songwriters. They are not overrated at all imo.

• Like 1

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 31 2010, 02:19 AM)
The Beatles were an awesome band and MCartney/Lennon were amazing songwriters. They are not overrated at all imo.

True!

On the other hand, I don't think George ever got the praise he deserves!

• Like 1

I own the stereo remasters set, i downloaded the mono version, and i have an assortment of other discs too. Essential listening for any beatles fan is Love -- it's amazing how existing music can be used as an instrument for making new music.

Here Comes The Sun

I never tire of hearing this perfect, PERFECT song. yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Two Of Us

Dear Prudence

Across The Universe

Paperback Writer

Taxman

Something

Julia

Strawberry Fields Forever

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ Dec 30 2010, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 31 2010, 02:19 AM)

True!

On the other hand, I don't think George ever got the praise he deserves!

yes.gif George had a unique voice and was an underrated guitarist. He really should have sung on more songs.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Sgt. Pepper's and Revolver are my fav. Beatles albums. But, "Something" is my favorite Beatles song. "A Day in the Life" runs a very close second. I'm not a huge fan of their early music, but I still appreciate the impact that music had. And, John Lennon will always be my biggest hero.
  • Like 1

I've been a Beatles fan practically all my life. I"ve know of them ever since I was little and grew up with them mainly because of my dad so they're a huge part of my life. I'm 23 btw smile.gif

For me, its honestly hard to pick and choose favorite songs and albums but I think as far as albums, my favorites are Sgt. Peppers, Rubber Soul and Help! mainly because those were the main 3 I always heard oh! and The White Album and songs....forget it! I have way too many favorites and theres some I like more than others but its really hard to pick...maybe I'll give it some more thought and get back to this laugh.gif

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Dec 30 2010, 10:32 PM)
Here Comes The Sun is my fav, perhaps for sentimental reason.

These fellows are not overrated. They're just fine where they are smile.gif

I don't think I've ever seen or heard them being referred to as being overrated. That would be the most ignorant thing to state, ever. I know a lot of people aren't really into them. But, to call them overrated? Nonsensical drivel.

I want to add "Let It Be" to my list of favorite songs, too. So beautiful musically and lyrically. How can anyone not just LOVE that song?

Edited by sullysue

Rubber Soul, Revolver & Sgt. Pepper and the singles of that era are the peak for me. But of course it's all great. "We Can Work It Out" would a strong contender for favorite song. John & Paul both sing lead, the lyrics each sings seem to match their personalities perfectly....with Lennon's part being particularly poignant. One of the most beautiful tunes they ever wrote. The lyrics are thoroughly applicable to any human relationship - two people, groups of people, countries, etc. A song anyone can relate to; completely universal.

I love all Beatles: The first 3 albums fun and poppy perfection, the next 2 coming of age musically and lyrically, the classic "R" albums experimentation (in more ways than one), the psychadelic year of 1967, the Apple years of each member expanding their own sound from '68-'70. I love it all, and all the singles sprinkled thoughout as well.

Well, I lied. The only Beatles songs I'm not a big fan of are the George Harrison Maharishi-hindu songs like Inner Light and Within you-without you. They annoy me, but he did write some great songs other than those.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Dec 31 2010, 12:55 AM)
Well, I lied. The only Beatles songs I'm not a big fan of are the George Harrison Maharishi-hindu songs like Inner Light and Within you-without you. They annoy me, but he did write some great songs other than those.

Are you kidding me? "Within You, Without You," is perfectly placed in Sgt. Pepper's and is SO great. It breaks the album right where they meant it to.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Dec 31 2010, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 31 2010, 12:46 AM)
my favorite beatles album is (what's the story) morning glory.

Now that is extremely bad! Oasis suck. angry.gif

Rubbish. First 2 albums are great...back on track...

I'm incredibly biased about The Beatles. I love everything The Beatles did. Everything. Yes, there is a song here and there that doesn't measure up, but that's to be expected. But when push comes to shove, The Beatles are my musical DNA.

Like many others, my favorite era is 1966-67. They did nothing wrong in those years.

Throwaway pop songs, flat out rock and roll, psychedelic music, blues, folk, ska, experimental...but most of all the melodies and the singing. In their time, they did it all and were always good to brilliant.

As for "The Inner Light" and "Within You Without You", listen to the melodies. Beautiful stuff.

The Beatles are probably my all time favorite band, if pressed to choose one. (Rush, Genesis, and The Who are right up there too!)

I never tire of them... it's amazing after hearing their music for over 30 years.

Favorite albums:

Abbey Road

Revolver

A Hard Day's Night

Magical Mystery Tour

Fave songs:

A Day In The Life (EASILY #1)

Strawberry Fields Forever

Tomorrow Never Knows

Something

Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End

Across the Universe

She Said She Said

A Hard Day's Night

I'll Be Back

Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me & My Monkey

Mother Nature's Son

I Am The Walrus

Rain

Paperback Writer

All My Loving

I love some of the earlier stuff as much as the later stuff. And count me in on "Within You Without You". What an amazing melody.

Beatles rule. Forever and ever, world without end, Amen.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman