The Official Beatles Thread

Soni

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jan 3 2011, 12:14 PM)
Yeah I dig them...I mostly listen to the 1965-1970 period.
I do enjoy their material before '65 but I don't listen to those albums or songs as much as Rubber Soul-Let It Be.

Same here, not a fan of the early works

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 4 2011, 11:59 AM)
It took the remasters to make me realise how astonishing the 62-65 stuff really is. For a while now Beatles For Sale has been my favourite album. Astonishing stuff going on there.

There really is some emotional growth going on with the songwriting. For the first time you really get the impression it's not all going to be about sunny pop songs.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 4 2011, 05:18 PM)
It took the remasters to make me realise how astonishing the 62-65 stuff really is. For a while now Beatles For Sale has been my favourite album. Astonishing stuff going on there.

There really is some emotional growth going on with the songwriting. For the first time you really get the impression it's not all going to be about sunny pop songs.

Exactly. Have had McCartney's Driving Rain on a lot of late. What do you think of it? I think it's very strong, even if it was inspired by that hag of an ex-wife of his.....

I absolutely love the Beatles. I grew up listening to them from when I was a baby.

If I were to list my favorite songs, I'd be here all day typing.

To me, they were the most prolific songwriters of the past 50 years.

To think what they wrote, recorded and released with the kind of success they had in such a short time period is just mind boggling.

I don't think any other band can compare to them. Just my opinion of course.

Earlier in the thread, Soni mentioned that George doesn't get as much praise as he deserves. I agree. In fact, I've been listening to the "Concert for George" soundtrack quite a bit lately. Fantastic stuff. For those of you who don't have it...GET IT!

QUOTE (Natch @ Jan 4 2011, 10:10 PM)
In fact, I've been listening to the "Concert for George" soundtrack quite a bit lately. Fantastic stuff. For those of you who don't have it...GET IT!

OOOH YES!

Gotta love Clapton's version of While My Guitar...

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 4 2011, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 4 2011, 05:18 PM)

Exactly. Have had McCartney's Driving Rain on a lot of late. What do you think of it? I think it's very strong, even if it was inspired by that hag of an ex-wife of his.....

McCartney has been very good from, oh say, Flowers in the Dirt onward. I don't think any one album is a masterpiece, but each album has several superb songs that remind you how good McCartney can be. My major complaint is he comes across as extremely lazy as a lyricist on a lot of songs.

"Driving Rain" for example - 1,2,3,4,5, let's go for a drive. 6,7,8,9,10, let's go there and back again! schla03.gif

Anyway, one could make a killer McCartney compilation from 1989 to 2010. Absolutely killer.

Also, I really like The Fireman Electric Arguments. It's a great listen.

QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 4 2011, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (Natch @ Jan 4 2011, 10:10 PM)
In fact, I've been listening to the "Concert for George" soundtrack quite a bit lately. Fantastic stuff. For those of you who don't have it...GET IT!

OOOH YES!

Gotta love Clapton's version of While My Guitar...

It's great concert film.

Greatest songwriters of all time. No one even comes close. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Dec 31 2010, 03:47 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 31 2010, 02:29 AM)

Are you kidding me?

no.

I liken that song to a big ugly boil on a beautiful face.

I agree. I love Something and Here Comes the Sun. I feel the same way you do about Within you without you or what ever its called.

I love Abbey Road. I play Here Comes The Sun, Strawberry Fields, In My Life, and Two of Us in my acoustic Duo. If I could though, I would love to put an electric band together that would do the entire second side of Abbey Road.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 30 2010, 07:19 PM)
The White Album is great but there's a lot of filler (i.e. Yer Blues) but it has awesome songs on it like Glass Onion, Revolution 1, etc.

Wait a minute! You think "Yer Blues" is filler, but "Glass Onion" isn't?!?!?! wacko.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jan 4 2011, 08:30 PM)
i'm happy to see Two of Us getting some recognition here, it's a really sweet song, always been one of my favorites and i think it's incredibly underrated.

The entire Let It Be album is underrated. They were barely a band when they recorded those songs and they still sounded great.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 4 2011, 08:30 PM)
Regarding the remasters - listen to "Dear Prudence" with headphones on. There is so much going on.

I was blown away when I heard the stereo remaster. I also have a newfound respect for the earlier recordings because of it.

I think they also did an amazing job with Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road...but that may just be my bias XD

I'm starting to like more and more Magical Mistery Tour! Lot's'of classic tunes in there; the titles track, Hello Goodbye, Penny Lane, Strawberry fileds, Walrus etc... The Beatles at their psychedelic peak! I think it's more in the vain of Sgt.Pepper than the white album

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jan 4 2011, 08:30 PM)
i'm happy to see Two of Us getting some recognition here, it's a really sweet song, always been one of my favorites and i think it's incredibly underrated.

One of my favorites too.

13 early Beatles songs I'm currently into:

"I've Just Seen A Face"

"Things We Said Today"

"I'll Be Back"

"I'm Down"

"I'm Looking Through You"

"There's A Place"

"Misery"

"The Word"

"If I Needed Someone"

"All I've Got To Do"

"I'll Cry Instead"

"You're Going To Lose That Girl"

"I Don't Want To Spoil The Party"

The Beatles were the very first band I got into when I was growing up. Still to this day, I enjoy their music although I really dig the Rubber Soul to Abbey Road period more. Revolver is my favourite in case you're wondering.

And if it weren't for Ringo, I'd never taken up the drums!

(Neil I didn't discover until later).

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 11 2011, 08:32 AM)

"I've Just Seen A Face"
"Things We Said Today"
"I'll Be Back"
"I'm Down"
"There's A Place"
"Misery"
"The Word"
"If I Needed Someone"
"All I've Got To Do"
"I'll Cry Instead"

Those first three are some of my favorites bar none. "The Word" and "There's A Place" too.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 11 2011, 06:32 AM)

"I've Just Seen A Face"
"Things We Said Today"
"I'll Be Back"
"I'm Down"
"There's A Place"
"Misery"
"The Word"
"If I Needed Someone"
"All I've Got To Do"
"I'll Cry Instead"

Great list:

My 13 are pretty typical:

All My Loving

Baby's In Black

The Night Before

Any Time At All

I'll Be Back

Yes It Is

This Boy

It Won't Be Long

I'm A Loser

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

I Saw Her Standing There

No Reply

A Hard Day's Night

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jan 11 2011, 01:42 PM)
I'm A Loser

Nice, the Fab Four wrote a song for me!

laugh.gif

edit: and yes, one day, I'll get around to listening to their records more. I haven't really wanted to, but this thread got "I Want to Hold Your Hand" stuck in my head, so now I kinda have to. biggrin.gif

Edited by Xanadu93

Just finished "Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney" by Howard Sounes. Very good, fairly balanced, the odd dig here and there, one gets the impression Sounes is a bit of a Lennon acolyte, and he gratingly addresses Ringo as "Ritchie" for the whole bloody book.

The whole Heather Mills/divorce malarkey reads like a thriller. The woman is as madder than a leg of salmon.

• Like 2