Drummers!

CygnusX-1Bk2

I don't really care too much for RotoToms. They are a cool idea when used as they are designed, to be like small tympanum, but nobody really uses them that way. They are more often used as substitutes for normal toms. The main reason I don't like them is the lack of shell. Drum tone is all about the wood (well any instrument for that matter). All you get from the Rotos is head tone, which is kind of smacky. They do not cut very well in a live situation because without the shell they lack volume and projection. If you just want extra toms to hit then they are fine but I consider them far from ideal. With good drums available for inexpensive prices these days there is little reason to use them for anything other than accent percussion, like timbales, wood blocks or cowbells, etc.

But that's me.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 25 2006, 01:30 PM)
I don't really care too much for RotoToms. They are a cool idea when used as they are designed, to be like small tympanum, but nobody really uses them that way. They are more often used as substitutes for normal toms. The main reason I don't like them is the lack of shell. Drum tone is all about the wood (well any instrument for that matter). All you get from the Rotos is head tone, which is kind of smacky. They do not cut very well in a live situation becaue without the shell they lack volume and projection. If you just want extra toms to hit then they are fine but I consider them far from ideal. With good drums available for inexpensive prices these days there is little reason to use them form anything other than accent percussion, like timbales, wood blocks or cowbells, etc.

But that's me.

I agree wholeheartedly. You have nothing to gain by getting rototoms unless as auxiliary percussion once you have all the toms you need. I had them when I first started to "make my 5 piece an 8 piece", but what I got was shallow sounding drums that don't project hardly at all with no tonal characteristics like a drum shell provides.

A few years back I used to use a 6,8 and 10 inch set of rototoms with my 5 piece kit and I found that the small sized roto's REALLY kicked in the high end as they should and the sound really projectd way above the loudness of the guitars. I think it's just the bigger , low end Rototoms that may not project as well. Edited by different strings

QUOTE (RushDrummer @ Jul 25 2006, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Jul 24 2006, 07:20 PM)
thanks! but what about the rototoms?  confused13.gif

I love my roto toms. Bought them on ebay for about $75. They had some wear and tear, but I'm happy with the sound of them. They will be a part of my kit so long as I drum.

There are some nice deals here...

Roto Toms on eBay.

...Remos normally go for $200-$300 from what I've seen, so if you're just testing the waters, this might be your best bet. Look around, I'm sure a bargain can be found on ebay.

Holy crap! I can't believe how cheap Rototom knockoffs are now! Hell, in 1983 Remo Rototoms were $175! lmao

QUOTE (different strings @ Jul 31 2006, 04:58 AM)
A few years back I used to use a 6,8 and 10 inch set of rototoms with my 5 piece kit and I found that the small sized roto's REALLY kicked in the high end as they should and the sound really projectd way above the loudness of the guitars. I think it's just the bigger , low end Rototoms that may not project as well.

Put them next to the same size concert toms and get back to me. Mass equals volume.

Here's my kit as it was on Saturday when my band recorded our first demo cd and it was my first time of recording something so it was a great experience.

We recorded 3 songs and the best bit was i didn't use a click track.

It was very difficult getting in the booth so they decided to keep me in there to record all the parts so i was stuck in it for half an hour sweating away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Stickman1984/Mykitinthestudio.jpg

Edited by Stickman

QUOTE (YYZ Working Man @ Oct 2 2006, 01:36 AM)
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/munupy/Olddrumkit1988.jpg

Its not my recent drum kit but I found an old pic of my first real Pearl kit from 1988 ..was 18 then- lost some better photos -oh well

I whis i had a kit like that. Aww.... I want a drumset!

Good stuff guys...

Stickman - Beautiful drums, but you guys are killing me with trying to emulate Neil's tom arrangement. I'm not big on unsolicited advice, but I feel the need to intervene smile.gif Do yourself a favor and put those things down there where you can get a stick on them without giving yourself a hernia! (I'm just kidding dude.... I was once the guy with 30 roto-toms trying to be Alex Van Halen!)

QUOTE (KirkDS @ Oct 2 2006, 10:39 AM)
Here's my junk....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/Drums/DSC01866.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/Drums1.jpg

Awesome set mate! 1287.gif

Nice Kit!! But that vintage Tama poster of Neil caught my eye too!!! That`s a classic!!

Ya`ll take care

wow!!!!!!! I found one when i was 15- 16 with my first band on my first real kit

7 peice Westburys- "check out the mullet"

this is about 1985-86

I still jam with my guitar player "Smiley"

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/munupy/tn2.jpghttp://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/munupy/tn.jpg

then upgraded in 88 or 89 to Pearl PM7 posted before -

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/munupy/Olddrumkit1988.jpg

the new kit to come later

Edited by YYZ Working Man

I've got a Roland TD-8 electronic kit and a Mapex M Birch acoustic kit.

Roland:

TD-8 Module

1 FD-7 - Hi Hat Pedal

1 PD-7 - Hi Hat

1 PD-120 - Snare

1 KD-120 - Kick

2 CY-12R/C - Cymbal

3 PD-80 - Tom

1 PD-80R - it's actually a snare, but i use it as a tom.

Red TD-10 Rack

Mapex:

2 cowbells

22" x 18" kick

10" x 8" tom

12" x 9" rack tom

13" x 10" rack tom

16" x 16" floor tom

5"-1/2" x 14" snare

Remo Heads

AA Medium Ride 20"/51cm

AA Medium Crash 16"/41 cm

Medium Crash 16"

Regular Hats 14"/36 cm

all cymbals are Sabian

QUOTE (drummerboy @ Oct 16 2006, 09:32 PM)
I've got a Roland TD-8 electronic kit and a Mapex M Birch acoustic kit.

Roland:

TD-8 Module
1 FD-7 - Hi Hat Pedal
1 PD-7 - Hi Hat
1 PD-120 - Snare
1 KD-120 - Kick
2 CY-12R/C - Cymbal
3 PD-80 - Tom
1 PD-80R - it's actually a snare, but i use it as a tom.
Red TD-10 Rack

Mapex:

2 cowbells
22" x 18" kick
10" x 8" tom
12" x 9" rack tom
13" x 10" rack tom
16" x 16" floor tom
5"-1/2" x 14" snare
Remo Heads
AA Medium Ride 20"/51cm
AA Medium Crash 16"/41 cm
Medium Crash 16"
Regular Hats 14"/36 cm
all cymbals are Sabian

Cool drumset drummerboy!

Is the Pearl Forum a nice beginner set?

QUOTE (drummerboy @ Oct 23 2006, 08:48 PM)
If you mean the new 2005 forum drum set with only one cymbal, then no i don't think that that is a good beginner drum set.

you should get a different kit with a crash and a ride

What about the Pearl Target? I can buy a pack whit 2 cymbals and a hihat or something to get better cymbals.

QUOTE (drummerboy @ Oct 25 2006, 11:46 PM)
Yes, that's what you should get. cool.gif

but i am wondering about ddrum? they look cool and isn't so expensive either i think, do they make good drums?

I'm looking at a kit like this one for small

piano bar type gigs:

http://bidvalue.com/GP75WR.jpg

Features:

• 10 inch High-Hat Cymbals
  • 15 inch crash/ride Cymabl
  • Genuine Maple Wood Shells
  • Durable PVC Covered
  • Adjustable Tom Mounts
  • Clear Polymer Heads
  • 8 Inch Snare with Throw-off (8 lugs)
  • 15 Ince Floor Bass (16 lugs)