Vapor Trails is actually a good album

cygnus_thegodofbalance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 6 2010, 09:53 PM)
I don't know VT that well... I think the only song I have is "One Little Victory" and I think it's awesome. But then again, I also really liked most of the songs on Snakes and Arrows...
...And yet I'm not nuts about their original album (Rush, obviously). The only song I have on my MP3 player from that one is "Working Man". I dunno; to each their own.

I don't think you can hold not liking just one or two albums against someone who claims to be a Rush fan. If they like the other 14+ albums then great, good for them, we'll have some great discussions about FBN and 2112 and Farewell to Kings. tongue.gif

Agree 100%! They cant hit the ball out of the park every time. I do like One Little Victory and few SECTIONS of some songs on VT but to me, it's just too long and unfocused. That being said, it got them back on the road and thats good enough for me! The first album is the only one of theirs I dont own, pretty much because I dont think its Rush without Neil. No offense to the memory of John Rutsey, he was just a different kind of drummer. I should pick up the first album though, cause I really do like Here Again and a few others.

Right now I'm getting other versions of my favorite albums (SHM-CD, MFSL, Atomic, etc). It's been a real blast to compare different versions of the same album side by side. Sometimes the difference in sound quality is truly amazing.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 6 2010, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 6 2010, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 6 2010, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 6 2010, 07:34 PM)
unsure.gif

Come on Goobs.

You KNOW you have something to say about this. laugh.gif

*bites tongue hard until it starts to bleed*

unsure.gif

I take it that means you love Vapor Trails, as any TRUE Rush fan should?

no.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Dec 6 2010, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 6 2010, 07:32 PM)
Until recently, I've ranked this album towards the bottom of the list, but in the past two months, I've thought about the music on the record without even having listened to it in months, and I think I prefer it to S&A. My opinion of it has also greatly increased. I need to refamiliarize myself with about half of the record, but the quality of OLV, Ceiling, Ghost Rider, Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, Earthshine, and Nocturne alone are enough for it to be a great album.

Agreed. I prefer it over S&A as well.

I don't think the band would agree at all.

While VT has some amazing moments:

Earthshine

Ghost Rider

Vapor Trail

Freeze

Secret Touch

Sweet Miracle

To me it has not stood the test of time. I loved it when it came out. It was new Rush, we had thought the band was essentially finished and this was a rebirth.

But of course the warts really started to show over time (of course on the first listen I was in shock at the piss poor sonic quality and thought my CD was defective at first until I started seeing all the reactions).

Many tracks feel pieced together, half realized ideas and forced. It really has way to many layers and it was over done to the extreme. The songs barely have any space to breath.

Many love the album because it is a hard Rush record. Hard does not always make it great.

I like the album but it certainly is one of the weakest albums they have in the catalog. It sounds dense and we can talk about "well if it was mixed better etc etc" all day but to me the songs as a whole are not their best work. Geddy's vocals are also....trying on a lot of songs. The bass work...over bearing. Alex's guitars....man I could not believe the sonic nightmare this record was. Even Neils drums were just sub par and I can't get over the sonic quality. I can't enjoy an album that sounds like this. I even have the MITA remaster and although much better it still can't hide the warts.

Live some tunes went over great on the VT tour, some did not. Earthshine, Secret Touch and Ghost Rider were awesome. OLV and Ceiling Unlimited not so much.

The fact they barely represent this album live should tell you something.

Comparing this to Snakes and Arrows is like comparing Moving Pictures to Caress of Steel. It is that wide of a gap in song quality, and production.

Snakes and Arrows is a gem. An album with a clear direction. Songs with amazing phrasing, bridges, chorus hooks, etc. That sounded like Rush getting their groove back.

VT was a long and difficult struggle for the band. What, some 16 months or so to get it all done. Neil was coming back we know the story and the results reflected a passionate, heartfelt album that just really came up short on the songwriting and production end of Rush's high standards.

VT has a lot of really good songs.

This is Neil's return to the band after a traumatic change in his life and you can hear it in the songs and the production.

"things that last and the things that come apart"

I`ve not listend to VT in quite a while. It`s "hard work" listening to the album. It`s loud, it`s distorted, it`s a mostly "dark" record. What it also is, is very good.

If you`re "in the mood" (pun intended), then VT is as enjoyable as any of the other Rush albums. I recently got back into Presto, having seen the title track being performed on the TM tour. Thin production, but again, great songs if your are in the right frame of mind for them.

Freeze. Not on everyone`s favourite list, but possibly my favourite on VT. It`s also very apt for the weather conditions here in the UK at the moment. I might just play the track right now.

QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 7 2010, 07:07 AM)
Until recently, I've ranked this album towards the bottom of the list, but in the past two months, I've thought about the music on the record without even having listened to it in months, and I think I prefer it to S&A. My opinion of it has also greatly increased. I need to refamiliarize myself with about half of the record, but the quality of OLV, Ceiling, Ghost Rider, Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, Earthshine, and Nocturne alone are enough for it to be a great album.

Comparing this to Snakes and Arrows is like comparing Moving Pictures to Caress of Steel. It is that wide of a gap in song quality, and production.

Snakes and Arrows is a gem. An album with a clear direction. Songs with amazing phrasing, bridges, chorus hooks, etc. That sounded like Rush getting their groove back.

There is no comparison. Vapor Trails is better than Snakes & Arrows (their worst imo) in every way. It simply blows S&A away.

And Caress of Steel is one of their greatest behind PWaves/MP.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 7 2010, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 7 2010, 07:07 AM)

There is no comparison. Vapor Trails is better than Snakes & Arrows (their worst imo) in every way. It simply blows S&A away.

And Caress of Steel is one of their greatest behind PWaves/MP.

caress of steel cool10.gif

Would you guys tear me apart if I said I liked Caress of Steel and Rush the least of all their albums?

Because I honestly believe there's merit to the argument that S&A and VT are both good, solid albums.

I'm just curious... What's the appeal, to each of you, with CoS and Rush?

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 7 2010, 06:14 PM)
Would you guys tear me apart if I said I liked Caress of Steel and Rush the least of all their albums?
Because I honestly believe there's merit to the argument that S&A and VT are both good, solid albums.

I'm not crazy about those records either, but then, I do tend to hold minority opinions.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Dec 7 2010, 05:17 PM)

I'm not crazy about those records either, but then, I do tend to hold minority opinions.

I don't like them. Caress is my least favourite album.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Dec 7 2010, 07:48 PM)

Caress is interesting, it's like an experiment for the boys leading up to 2112 and beyond. In a way I don't even think of pre-2112 albums as "Rush", but "pre-Rush".

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 7 2010, 06:51 PM)

Caress is interesting, it's like an experiment for the boys leading up to 2112 and beyond. In a way I don't even think of pre-2112 albums as "Rush", but "pre-Rush".

Haha, okay, these comments make me feel a little better.

Because I've seen a number of people who are just nuts about CoS and Rush. Exception to that last comment, though, I think would have to be Fly By Night. That has some of my favourites, like the album title song, and "Anthem".

And really I only like side 1 of "2112"... but I do enjoy "Passage to Bangkok". That's an interesting one.

(Oh my, getting WAY off the topic of VT here. D:)

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 7 2010, 09:36 PM)

Because I've seen a number of people who are just nuts about CoS and Rush. Exception to that last comment, though, I think would have to be Fly By Night. That has some of my favourites, like "Xanadu" (the original epic!), the album title song, and "Anthem".

And really I only like side 1 of "2112"... but I do enjoy "Passage to Bangkok". That's an interesting one.

Xanadu is on Farewell To Kings

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 7 2010, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 7 2010, 09:36 PM)

Because I've seen a number of people who are just nuts about CoS and Rush. Exception to that last comment, though, I think would have to be Fly By Night. That has some of my favourites, like "Xanadu" (the original epic!), the album title song, and "Anthem".

Xanadu is on Farewell To Kings

Oh -- oh snap, I forgot. D: I get them mixed up. Blah. Let me fix that.

Sorry. I feel like a terrible, ridiculous person now. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Why I like Rush - it shows their beginnings, and has an almost twangy, southern-rocky sound in places that they would rarely if ever return to, so this is the only place to hear it.

Caress of Steel - Bastille Day just rocks. And Necromancer - the different musical parts take you on an emotional roller coaster ride. Love it! And the three men from Willowdale turning south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of the Necromancer...geez, are we Americans that unwelcoming, haha?

As for the later 90's albums, they all have great songs on them, but aren't as memorable overall as some of the early ones. Or, it may be my unfamiliarity with the 90's albums...maybe in time I'll feel differently, but my initial impresion is that they're taking much longer to make an impression.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Dec 7 2010, 10:14 PM)
Why I like Rush - it shows their beginnings, and has an almost twangy, southern-rocky sound in places that they would rarely if ever return to, so this is the only place to hear it.

Caress of Steel - Bastille Day just rocks. And Necromancer - the different musical parts take you on an emotional roller coaster ride. Love it! And the three men from Willowdale turning south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of the Necromancer...geez, are we Americans that unwelcoming, haha?

As for the later 90's albums, they all have great songs on them, but aren't as memorable overall as some of the early ones. Or, it may be my unfamiliarity with the 90's albums...maybe in time I'll feel differently, but my initial impresion is that they're taking much longer to make an impression.

Okay, I agree with you there -- Necromancer is a good one. I do like that one. So you make some valid points. (: I was just curious!

OH and I finally remembered the song I thought was from Fly By Night that I loved, and that was "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"... not "Xanadu", which isn't even on that album as was pointed out. But yeah, one of my absolute faves from their early days. Maybe even in my top 25 for Rush overall. :D And like I mentioned earlier -- "Working Man" from Rush is a great song every morning. x3

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 7 2010, 05:14 PM)

In early 1981 I first heard the albums Rush, Caress of Steel & 2112 pretty much simultaneously after my parents' divorced and Dad left his rather large record collection spanning the years 1964-1980. These quite simply are the ones that made me a fan. So they hold a special place, as they were my first taste of Rush and the taste is still as sweet today as it was back then.

Rush and Caress of Steel are the embodient of the band's unbridled, youthful energy and I personally love the raw sound they had at the time. They represent that real core Rush sound that on subsequent albums the band developed into a broader, more refined and sophisticated sound. But that core sound remains and you can still hear it to this day.

Alex's playing on these records is simply brilliant. Classic guitar riffs all over the place and soloing that is off the charts and just insane. And Geddy's singing is so unique, raw and expressive. The 2.gif album is riveting, with a sound as explosive as its album cover. A stone cold classic. I can't go very long before I need to hear this...it's addictive. Caress is a rare gem, dark and adventurous. A journey into the mysterious and otherworldly. The Necromancer is the shit. They're both just fun to listen to. 653.gif

What it boils down to is how much you like/understand the whole mid-'70s heavy guitar rock vibe. They're the whole package, my friends...if you love heavy rock, that is. cool.gif

VT, Rush, and CoS are far and away my least favorite albums, with a fairly large gap between VT and Rush (VT being my least favorite). Rush is where most "meh"'albums by bands I like sit, whereas CoS is not far behind Presto (my least favorite "great" album by Rush). The gap between Presto and MP (my favorite Rush album) is not very large.

I am certain that VT would elevate into the pack if I could listen to it without getting a headache.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Dec 6 2010, 08:43 PM)
I think the album is crap.  Thought it when it first came out and still think so now.  I think S&A was light years better.  There is no detectable melody, the songs are too long and the lyrics are just a mess.  I think it took them a little while to find their chops.  S&A had everything VT didnt and I think S&A is their best work since Counterparts.  I can usually only make it through about half a song on VT before I give up, disgusted.

I noticed something, many who disliked VT liked S&A and some who liked VT disliked S&A.

I loved VT and thought S&A was so so, never could get into it.

Archived