Christmas Songs

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 6 2010, 04:45 PM)
"Jingle Bell Rock" make me want to punt a kitten every time I hear it.

(props to CMWriter for the kitten line -- couldn't resist the cross-thread reference)

xD You're the second person to point that line out.

And I thought of another tune I can't stand...

All the ones they play on the hip-hop radio station.

Seriously. They play these BIZARRE Christmas-y songs and it's like, "NO! If I want Christmas music, I'll go to the OTHER station! Quit giving me this weird stuff! Just put on Lady Gaga and let me listen in PEACE."

Ugh. It's a horrid thing to hear.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 6 2010, 11:16 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 6 2010, 04:45 PM)
"Jingle Bell Rock" make me want to punt a kitten every time I hear it.

(props to CMWriter for the kitten line -- couldn't resist the cross-thread reference)

xD You're the second person to point that line out.

And I thought of another tune I can't stand...

All the ones they play on the hip-hop radio station.

Seriously. They play these BIZARRE Christmas-y songs and it's like, "NO! If I want Christmas music, I'll go to the OTHER station! Quit giving me this weird stuff! Just put on Lady Gaga and let me listen in PEACE."

Ugh. It's a horrid thing to hear.

This begs the question - you listen to the hip-hop station? unsure.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Nosirree, nothing at all. laugh.gif (Really - it's not my kinda music but tastes are different. Not often you find a Rush fan who likes hip-hop!)

Anyhow, I agree with you. Some things are sacred and should not be messed with. Like traditional Christmas songs. When I was a kid the music director at our church somehow got it into her head that it would be really cool to write all of her own arrangements on the Christmas hymns. It wasn't. I was not the only one who thought so, either.

Heard Queen's Thank God It's Christmas today. Made my day. Others I need to hear before the season's out: Grinch (cartoon), or any from the movie soundtrack (of course - already have), TSO's Carol of the Bells (my fave traditional Christmas song), Snoopy and the Red Baron, Bob and Doug Mackenzie, 12 Pains, and I love Christmas at Ground Zero by Weird Al, but they never play it.

O Holy Night (the right version) has a special place in the heart of my family - one of my ancestors loved the song so much, she insisted it be played at her funeral, which ended up being in July or something!

Ones that'll have me on the ceiling, hanging by my fingernails, I hate them so much: Santa Baby, Hippo, Donkey, and the Jackson 5 ones where Michael's little-boy voice could shatter glass. You'd think that with an obvious affinity for high-voiced singers, I'd not mind, but nope, it turns me inside out! Then there's the one they play that's all barking dogs. I love animals, but it's unimaginably awkward to be waiting on a customer while feeling like you're in the waiting room at the vet's office wacko.gif

And oh, God, I heard a REMAKE of Last Christmas the other day. I don't really even hate the original, but NOTHING is going to improve upon it, either. *shudder*

Really, though, I don't care for Christmas music that much - I'd prefer to only hear it for a few days. I'm glad our radio station at work only plays one or two an hour. My co-workers are threatening to switch over to the all-Christmas station next week while I'm on vacation tongue.gif

Ones I hate:

-Deck the Halls (fa la la la la la 062802puke_prv.gif )

-Silent Night

-Christmas Shoes (too depressing for Christmas)

-Jingle Bell Rock

-Good King Wensclesaus (WTF???)

-Chipmonk Song

-We Wish You a Merry Christman

Ones I like:

-Happy Christmas: John Lennon

-I Believe In Father Christmas: ELP

-Halleujah! Its Christmas - 38 Special

-Santa's Messing With The Kid - Lynyrd Skynyrd

-Jingle Bells

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 6 2010, 09:22 PM)
This begs the question - you listen to the hip-hop station? unsure.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Nosirree, nothing at all. laugh.gif (Really - it's not my kinda music but tastes are different. Not often you find a Rush fan who likes hip-hop!)

Anyhow, I agree with you. Some things are sacred and should not be messed with. Like traditional Christmas songs. When I was a kid the music director at our church somehow got it into her head that it would be really cool to write all of her own arrangements on the Christmas hymns. It wasn't. I was not the only one who thought so, either.

Lolyeah, I listen to the hip-hop/rap station. I don't love every song, but a lot of them are really catchy and make for good dance tunes. (I can Soulja Boy like nothin'. Watch out, yo. Okay I'll stop now. But I really can pull off that dance.) 'Cause let's face it, I can't really dance to any of those weird time signatures Rush is always writing.. xD

But I can't sit down and analyze the lyrics to "Bad Romance", though I have danced around the neighborhood belting out those lyrics. That's why I have 80-some Rush songs.

I like some contemporized (I made that word up) Christmas music, like just with a different beat or rhythm, but change it too drastically and it just doesn't feel right. Like once my dad put "Angels We Have Heard on High" (I think that was it) in a 6/8 bar for church and it sounded awesome.

I cant stand Rudolph , just the kids show thats it wacko.gif

I like Last Christmas i gave u my heart by Wham ph34r.gif

I love Oh Holy night

The Carpenters Christmas album is a classic

I love Believe from the Polar Express

White Christmas makes me think of home wub.gif Michigan

Baby its cold outside, I always wanted to sing it to a Lady wink.gif :l

She puts up my crap now shes a lady music.gif ,,,, oh wrong thread tongue.gif

Like:

New Kids Got Run Over By A Reindeer (Bob Rivers?)

Last Christmas (Wham)

O Holy Night (South Park)

Merry Christmas Everyone (Shakin Stevens)

Who Put The Dick On The Snowman? (Bob Rivers)

Happy Christmas (John Lennon)

Stop The Cavalry (Jonah Lewie)

Walking Around In Women's Underwear (Bob Rivers)

12 Pains Of Christmas (Bob & Doug McKenzie)

Fairytale Of New York (The Pogues & Kirsty McColl)

Merry Christmas Everybody (Slade)

1984 Do They Know It's Christmas (Feed The World) (Band Aid)

Lonely This Christmas (Mud)

Stop The Cavalry is one song I grew up with.

Don't like:

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (Mel Smith (UK comedian & Kim Wilde - just for the inane babbling)

Driving Home For Christmas (name's gone - can't think who did that)

A Winter's Tale (David yech Essex)

Hate:

All I Want For Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey - just for the sheer wailing/shrieking etc, but I'm sure it's not that bad) Maybe it's just me. I'm sorry...

I was just about to mention "The Grinch" theme song! A classic. (The cartoon, I mean. Jim Carrey isn't fit to lick dirt off Dr. Seuss' grave).

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 7 2010, 04:31 PM)
I was just about to mention "The Grinch" theme song! A classic. (The cartoon, I mean. Jim Carrey isn't fit to lick dirt off Dr. Seuss' grave).

Music for the Grinch was written by Albert Hague. People might know him better as the music teacher, Mr. Shorofsky, in "Fame."

[/trivia]

http://content7.flixster.com/photo/11/05/56/11055693_tml.jpg

"That's not music, Mr. Martelli. That's masturbation."

Oh Holy Night (and I just heard a version on "Raising Hope" that was great! but I dont know who sang it!!!)

Christmas is a Time to Say I love you...Billy Squier

Wonderful Christmastime...Paul McCartney

All I want for Christmas is you...Mariah Carey

Little Drummer Boy...David Bowie/Bing Crosby

Same Ol' Lang Syne...Dan Fogelberg

Carol of the Bells...Trans Siberian Orchestra

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 7 2010, 02:25 PM)
or the Kinks' "Father Christmas."

I'm glad someone mentioned this one. Quite amusing and it has a good sound.

music.gif Have yourself a merry Merry Christmas.
Have yourself a good time.
But remember the kids who got nothing
While you're drinking down your wine. music.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Dec 8 2010, 01:06 AM)
QUOTE (tkdryan @ Dec 7 2010, 12:31 AM)
I love Believe from the Polar Express

yes.gif Forgot that one! I saw this movie for free in the IMAX theater of the science museum I used to volunteer at. I was more than a little teary by the end!

we seem to have alot in common when it comes music. Yes it is a tear jerker. It really gets me when you hear tom hanks talk about the sister no longer hears the bell

QUOTE (Natch @ Dec 8 2010, 09:12 AM)
I'm not much of a Bruce Springsteen fan, but I like his rendition of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town"

Great. Now it's stuck in my head.

"SANta Claus is coming to town...SANta Claus is coming to town..."

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 8 2010, 10:56 AM)
I'm not much of a Bruce Springsteen fan, but I like his rendition of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town"

that's it exactly GG!...and now, yeah, thanks. Damn earworm!

(must start singing Silent Night in my head! Out damn Springsteen!)

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 8 2010, 10:56 AM)

Isn't it more... Sannna Claus in his case? laugh.gif

Archived