Converse All Star

robertrobyn

You can't go wrong with some Chuck Taylors!
  • Like 2

I'm broke so I don't buy Converse.. but I buy shoes that look just like Converse, and they're currently sharpie'd the heck out of. I even have a couple Rush symbols on on side of the.. right shoe, I think. I should take pictures and put them up. 8D

They're fairly comfortable but too flat for me most of the time (i.e. during marching band season).

And looking at photos.. yes, Geddy has plenty of shoes other than the Converse. But he wears them frequently, it seems.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 4 2010, 04:00 PM)
I'm broke so I don't buy Converse..

^ which is hilarious, because 'back in the day' I bought my low top and hi-top Chucks for precisely the opposite reason (i.e. because I was broke)

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Dec 4 2010, 04:14 PM)
My old bass player had a shit ton of Chuck Taylors... Maybe it is a bass player thing. tongue.gif

He had so many that he would go full 80's style and wear one color on one foot and a different one on the other. And it was never the same!

as a bass player angry.gif I can vouch for their popularity amongst my low end brethren (though to be fair, I started out as a drummer tongue.gif )

I really had a thing for them in the late 80's/early 90's, and the fact that a Converse Outlet store was less than an hour from my house didn't hurt

I got all kinds of bizarre Chucks: monochrome black leather hi-tops (loved those), hunter green w/tan rubber, monochrome white, and my favorites (the only ones I still wear) were monochrome black hi-tops with a boot sole/heel

very odd, and I've never seen anyone else with them

I'll have to take a pic - I can't even find them through Google

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Dec 4 2010, 04:20 PM)
Geddy has stated that he originally started wearing them because of the pedals, but now anything else just feels wrong

That actually makes alot of sense because those shoes are so damn flat.....maybe his feet formed to the shoes since he wears them alot so now he has flat feet and everything else feels uncomfortable? laugh.gif ...Not unless he had flat feet to begin with... huh.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 4 2010, 04:33 PM)
... (the only ones I still wear) were monochrome black hi-tops with a boot sole/heel

very odd, and I've never seen anyone else with them

I'll have to take a pic - I can't even find them through Google

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/4WAT/VARIED/IMG00374.jpg

as a bass player  I can vouch for their popularity amongst my low end brethren (though to be fair, I started out as a drummer tongue.gif )

So you started out smart and slowly dumbed yourself down. At least you did not become a guitar player! tongue.gif

Even P.J. did not have a pair of those! He did have a pair of high rise red velvet ones though... I can't find an interwebz picture!

I changed my avatar for the holiday season because I couldn't resist two cool things in one pic - the Grinch on what I now call "Geddy Shoes" cool.gif The only ones I have are fakes, all black on the outside with hot pink on the inside and a pink and white almost Claddagh-style symbol on the side. Got them for my Geddy Halloween costume.

I'm a bass player too who also plays taurus pedals. I wear them because you can feel the pedals through the shoes. They're also more narrow than other shoes so you're less likely to hit 2 pedals at once. I've worn them for years for that reason. Never knew Ged wore them religiously until recently.

QUOTE (WaylonJennings67 @ Dec 5 2010, 10:25 AM)
Speaking as a former basketball player, they're HORRIBLY uncomfortable. But, I still like the look....just can't wear 'em sad.gif

I wore them when they were popular many years ago and they were loose fitting but don't support the feet very well.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Dec 4 2010, 04:14 PM)
My old bass player had a shit ton of Chuck Taylors... Maybe it is a bass player thing. tongue.gif

Maybe! I play bass, and I also like wearing Chuckie T's. laugh.gif

But Geddy has MANY different stage shoes. I get the impression he's worse than a woman when it comes to footwear. Two Geddy-related anecdotes come to mind: on his page of the Presto tourbook, he wrote something like "It's so hard to find good shoes, isn't it?" And in the Boys in Brazil documentary, there was that upset and panicky moment when he thought he'd left his stage shoes in the travel van.

I think he changes his shoes often during the day, and he has several pair he considers JUST "stage shoes." The Converse All-Stars are in that mix.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 4 2010, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 4 2010, 04:00 PM)
I'm broke so I don't buy Converse..

I don't buy them because I can't find them in size 15 laugh.gif

And when I occasionally do find them, they look like clown shoes laugh.gif

z7shysterical.gif That's the thing with Chucks. If you have big feet, they can look kind of goofy because they're so narrow.

Ditto the uncomfortable thing. Maybe its cause I weigh about twice what Geddy weighs. Also, I wear 13s and the Bozo comments would be coming.
  • Like 1