Emotion Detector

Cygnus-x50

They've never played it live, it's powerful, great lyrics, an awesome guitar solo and one of my favorites from that era. Definitely one to bring out of the vault!

Honestly, if you haven't given it a spin for awhile, do it now!

Edited by Cygnus-x50

QUOTE (Cygnus-x50 @ Dec 1 2010, 06:10 PM)
They've never played it live, it's powerful, great lyrics, an awesome guitar solo and one of my favorites from that era. Definitely one to bring out of the vault!

Honestly, if you haven't given it a spin for awhile, do it now!

I agree with you. This is a great tune. I was lucky enough to catch Middletown back in 86, but this was sadly left off the list. I would take this over Manhattan Project or Grand Designs, both of which were played.

QUOTE (Jean Simmons @ Dec 1 2010, 06:27 PM)
No. It's CRAP.
Doesn't the fact they've never played it suggest something? Yes, they know something that I know.

Power Windows should have been a four track EP

The Big Money
Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Territories

eyesre4.gif

Emotion Detector and ALL OF SIDE 2 OF POWER WINDOWS totally kicks ass! 1022.gif

Lol, it seems like so many people hate Power Windows. Even my dad only likes "The Big Money", but it was one of the first albums I got my hands on (after Moving Pictures and Exit.. Stage Left) so I'm kind of predisposed to like it.

"Emotion Detector" is a great song but I don't know how big of a hit it'd be in a concert setting. However, from that same album, I believe "Mystic Rhythms" and "The Big Money" would be awesome live.

The aforementioned song in this topic did inspire a short story I wrote.. So I agree it's pretty powerful and inspiring.

My second favorite 2.gif song...if they played it, I'd best wear a space suit to the show, because I'd be launched into orbit!

And Christine, Power Windows is my fave Rush album. I'm validated by a recent interview Geddy did where he said it was one he's most proud of. He also liked the interviewer's idea that the boys sit around and eat potato chips whlie they're not touring. I exclaimed "Power Windows and potato chips? My kinda guy"!!!

Edited by 1 of the 7

No. It's CRAP.
Doesn't the fact they've never played it suggest something? Yes, they know something that I know.

The Big Money
Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Territories

To each his own I guess. 'The Big Money' is probably my most unliked song on the whole album.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Dec 1 2010, 06:41 PM)
No. It's CRAP.

The Big Money
Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Territories

eyesre4.gif

Emotion Detector and ALL OF SIDE 2 OF POWER WINDOWS totally kicks ass! 1022.gif

Agreed one hundred percent. Actually, of the synth era, side two of Power Windows is my favorite album side. When I was in tenth grade, I spent hours on my bass getting that snap of the bass line. Still one of the lines I play when trying out a bass. Every song on side two is amazing.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Dec 1 2010, 05:51 PM)
My second favorite :rush: song...if they played it, I'd best wear a space suit to the show, because I'd be launched into orbit!

And Christine, Power Windows is my fave Rush album. I'm validated by a recent interview Geddy did where he said it was one he's most proud of. He also liked the interviewer's idea that the boys sit around and eat potato chips whlie they're not touring. I exclaimed "Power Windows and potato chips? My kinda guy"!!!

That's awesome. :D

Might I ask where you saw/heard this interview? I'm interested to hear Geddy's thoughts on Power Windows. O:

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 1 2010, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Dec 1 2010, 05:51 PM)
My second favorite 2.gif song...if they played it, I'd best wear a space suit to the show, because I'd be launched into orbit!

That's awesome. biggrin.gif

Might I ask where you saw/heard this interview? I'm interested to hear Geddy's thoughts on Power Windows. O:

I'm pretty sure it was the Planet Rock interview - there's a lot of mention of it out there on various websites, but I can't find where it's archived anymore. I don't remember him elaborating much on Power Windows, but it was still cool that that was the one he mentioned. cool.gif

No. It's CRAP.

That statement is a tad bit unfair. Let's be real here... Rush only play for 3 hours per night on each tour, so that only fits about 25-30 songs PLUS an intermission. Seeing as how a lot of the concertgoers aren't diehard Rush fans, and rather, casual fans instead, Rush always make room for their popular staples such as the songs off of Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves. This comprises about 7 or 8 songs in total.

The next set are the songs off of the album they are promoting on the tour. On the S&A tour, they used a good chunk of their second set playing songs off that album (I think 5 or 6). So naturally, this also comprises a huge chunk of time.

Because of this, this only leaves room for a couple handfuls of gems from various albums throughout their history, so that's 19 albums to sift through!

When you look at it from this analysis, it's not necessarily an issue of "Emotion Detector" being a terrible song in the band's eyes. It's all time constraints.

To answer the OP, I really would like to hear this song on the second leg! Maybe if they could swap Marathon for it..? Oh, hell! Keep 'em both, I love 'em!

tongue.gif

No. It's CRAP.

The Big Money
Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Territories

this post is crap

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 1 2010, 10:55 PM)
No. It's CRAP.

The Big Money
Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Territories

this post is crap

No it isn't.

It's the Gospel Truth.

If they had really liked it they'd have played it on the PoW tour or HYF tour.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 1 2010, 11:55 PM)
No. It's CRAP.

The Big Money
Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Territories

this post is crap

yes.gif

If I heard right, Alex had mentiones it was one of his favorite solos. I think this one would translate perfectly live. It's just got so much energy to it. Everyone's going crazy during the solo. Then again, I'd also like to see Available Light and Countdown live. laugh.gif Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

QUOTE (xXDreamlinerXx @ Dec 3 2010, 11:06 AM)
If I heard right, Alex had mentiones it was one of his favorite solos. I think this one would translate perfectly live. It's just got so much energy to it. Everyone's going crazy during the solo. Then again, I'd also like to see Available Light and Countdown live. laugh.gif Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

I love "Countdown"! Totally deserves a spot, even (dare I say it?) over "Emotion Detector". I think that song's just so epic, even if it is chronicling an event that happened quite a while ago.

No. It's CRAP.

The Big Money
Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Territories

They decided to play Entre Nous for the first time ever on the S&A tour. So don't assume that just because they've never done a song live that they don't like it.

Power Windows is one of my favorite albums. This was the era that I became a fan. I can remember sitting up all night trying to learn the bass line to this song. I eventually got it and could play it pretty close to note for note by morning. It was a big achievement then and still is today to be able to play that and other songs off this album. I too would love to see this song played live.