You Might Be a Proghole If...

This list was written by an independant prog group called Salem Hill (explaining the introduction) who are VERY sarcastic...

--------------------------------------------------------------

You might be a Proghole if...

At some indeterminable time in the past, some source in the Salem Hill inner circle coined the term "proghole." The term was used to describe a progressive rock elitist who was long on opinion and short on the knowledge to support it and/or the wisdom to keep it to himself. However, over time, we (SH) noticed with great concern that there are some "progholian" tendencies which we all, at one time or another, exhibit. We told ourselves that an occasional transgression does not a sinner make. But just to be sure, we've composed and compiled a test--a litmus test, as it were--by which we can identify certain tell-tale signs of progholiness. If you find yourself guilty of a couple of these, fear not. All of us have pitiable human failings. It's what makes us human. If you find yourself guilty of a handful, you may just be a borderline snob. There's still hope for you. However, if you're guilty of more than five, you'll find no humor in this list, and, quite frankly, will probably be too pissed off to even finish it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

You Might Be a Proghole if...

1. the word "mellotron" causes a strange tingling in your private parts.

2. you refer to Yes' lead singer as "the holy prophet Jon Anderson."

3. you blame Phil Collins for "driving Peter Gabriel out of Genesis."

4. you love the albums "Invisible Touch," "90125," and "Love Beach", but are ashamed to admit it.

5. you actually liked SH's "Not Everybody's Gold."

6. you know what a firth is.

7. you believe the talent of a drummer is commensurate with the size of his drum set.

8. you consider lyrics to be wasted time between solos.

9. you go to a King Crimson concert and take notes.

10. you look down on any keyboardist who is "not willing" to haul around a real Hammond B3.

11. you prefer Bruford to White, noting with knowing condescension that "groove and feel are way overrated."

12. you actually like Steve Howe's electric guitar tone.

13. your menage a trois fantasy involves you, Emerson, and Wakeman.

14. you find nothing comical about Robert Fripp, and are willing to kick anybody's ass that does.

15. the prefix labels of "Cantebury", "melodic", "symphonic", and "neo" before the word "prog" all simply mean "sucky".

16. you've named all the fish in your aquarium the names of past and present Yes members.

17. the words to "Close to the Edge" have profound meaning in your life.

18. you've done time or community service for striking someone who said, "I love Yes. Owner of a Lonely Heart rocked!"

9. you regularly set aside "me time" to listen to Tales from Topographic Oceans in its entirety.

20. you still love Kansas, despite their miscues with Carry on Wayward Son, Point of Know Return and Dust in the Wind.

21. you've ever constructed and worn a Jethro Tull "Aqualung" stage jumpsuit.

22. you've spent years in therapy in an effort to forget that John Wetton has ever been involved with anything outside of King Crimson.

23. you're one-word code for "time to leave" at a Yes concert is "Roundabout."*

24. all of your favorite bands are named after characters or places from "The Lord of the Rings."

25. you believe a bassist isn't even worth a derisive chortle if he doesn't own a Rickenbacker.

26. you actually know what a Warr guitar is.

27. you find yourself labeling most current Prog as "derivative", yet you secretly pine for Yes to record "Close to the Edge II".

28. you believe that radio play signals a band's demise.

29. you think "Beatlemania" is for pathetic hangers-on, yet you've seen "The Musical Box" six times.

30. you spend more time and energy on turning your woman onto prog than on turning your woman on.

31. you've danced to "Tom Sawyer."

32. you're unwilling to admit that Zeppelin was a prog band.

33. upon finding that one of your friends has discovered a Styx album in your collection, you find yourself quickly spouting "youthful indiscretion."

34. upon leaving an ELP concert, you find yourself repeatedly mumbling "sellouts!" because the band only played the "1st Impression" of "Karn Evil 9."

35. you think Yes' "Union" album should have been title "Onion" instead--it stank!

36. you're male, college educated, you're a groupie, yet you're asexual.

37. you've ever called a radio station and cursed them out for playing the short version of "Thick as a Brick."

38. you know who Annie Haslam is.

39. you know the lyrics to any Gentle Giant song.

40. you insist on your own Persian rug when you play onstage.

41. you know what Taurus Pedals are.

42. you hear a car crash and say "That's derivative of {insert band's name here.}"

43. your music collection is broken down by the note's the artists have played.

44. you will spend oodles of money and time to see a band but only get their CD's by swapping.

45. you actually know that "House of the King" was done by Focus and not Jethro Tull.

46. you know the difference between Jurgen Fritz and Keith Emerson.

47. you principally condemn house/dance music (because any sound generated by a computer can never be music) but secretly compare the soundstyles on [insert any hit] to [insert any keyboard player]'s playing on [insert any record here].

48. in addition, you secretly wish they had contracted Steven Rothery to "spice it up some more".

49. you consider ANY music style to be derivative of prog, since it is "the only true form of music".

50. you have ever betted on the runtime of "A Change of Seasons" and/or "Grendel".

51. you actually agree with Fish and/or Marillion on their reasons NOT to play Grendel anymore

52. you have tried every prog album in you and your friends' collection as a soundtrack to reading "The Return of the King" and finally decided that, since they all suffice, Tolkien must have been a proghole as well.

53. your favorite band's "world tour" consists of 3 shows on the east coast--a bookstore "unplugged" show, a pre-festival, Friday night warm-up gig with six other acts, and a free show at your uncle's tuxedo rental shop.

54. you believe that prog's heyday will single-handedly be resurrected by the Chapman stick.

55. you love King Crimson...but wish that Lake, Wetton, and Belew would just keep their freakin' mouths shout.

56. you believe that playing keyboards without a cape is a crass and disrespectful mockery of the craft and prog genre in general.

57. you can sit in a room with other 'progholes' and intelligently carry on a conversation when it comes to the bands Renaissance and Illusion...but, all the while wishing they would all leave so you could listen to The Strawbs' Hero and Heroine' on vinyl.

58. you can resite any of Peter Gabriels stories he told in between songs with Genesis in both English & French!

59. you pay for the wife and kids to move out for the weekend so you can organise your own little progfest at home with all those 65-75 live albums you have. Even throwing on "Framptons Comes Alive" as the supposed non prog entity!

60. you believe that Rael was a real person and have searched for his biography on the internet!

61. you cry when your children call your CD collection boring and ask if you have any Nirvana!

62. you get teary-eyed when your children sing along with any of your old Prog records.

63. the first thing you look for in a good school for your kids is if they offer classes in Kobaian.

64. you're no longer speaking to your wife since she refused to name your children Dweezil and Moon Unit.

65. your boss has started questioning the upper-case 'K's before every 'c' in your memos...

66. your daughters're named Galadriel & Nico.

67. you've ever taken your son shopping for cymbals 'cause his kit looks bare with less than a dozen.

68. you measure the value of a song by the number of time signature changes in it.

69. you buy a record with roger dean's art on it regardless of the music in it.

70. you prefer the vinyl mastering of Fragile to the remastered CD

71. you lack the basic rules of civility you should've learned from your parents and find it necessary to publicly post a preview of your attendance at ProgDay2004, declaring "I'm probably going to need to be good and drunk to enjoy Salem Hill."

*As these are incontrovertible, in and of themselves they don't necessarily indicate progholian tendencies.

Edited by SheriffJohnBrown

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the ones I'm guilty of:

19. you regularly set aside "me time" to listen to Tales from Topographic Oceans in its entirety.

27. you find yourself labeling most current Prog as "derivative", yet you secretly pine for Yes to record "Close to the Edge II".

39. you know the lyrics to any Gentle Giant song.

SEVEN - does that make me a proghole? unsure.gif

I got these:

6. you know what a firth is.

For me. tongue.gif

7. you believe the talent of a drummer is commensurate with the size of his drum set.

22. you've spent years in therapy in an effort to forget that John Wetton has ever been involved with anything outside of King Crimson.

68. you measure the value of a song by the number of time signature changes in it.

I actually laughed when I saw number 22 biggrin.gif

Haha, that's fantastic biggrin.gif

'The holy prophet Jon Anderson' notworthy.gif

My mum's definately a prog-head: "Was Vangelis in Yes?" laugh.gif

Edited by Jaye

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Apr 22 2005, 05:55 PM)
14. you find nothing comical about Robert Fripp, and are willing to kick anybody's ass that does.
46. you know the difference between Jurgen Fritz and Keith Emerson.

applaudit.gif

That was great! And, lo and behold, I got five! (The quoted ones.) I guess that makes me a genuine bonified proghole! biggrin.gif Hurray!

Here's me:

35. you think Yes' "Union" album should have been title "Onion" instead--it stank!

44. you will spend oodles of money and time to see a band but only get their CD's by swapping.

So, not too much of one.

bumper.gif tongue.gif

You might be a Proghead if your room looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom5.jpg

And the Yes + Oldfield CD rack:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom6.jpg

Close 1, Close 2

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 29 2008, 08:26 PM)
bumper.gif tongue.gif

You might be a Proghead if your room looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom5.jpg

And the Yes + Oldfield CD rack:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Progroom6.jpg
Close 1, Close 2

laugh.gif

Pretty much you're beyond hope. tongue.gif

This is awesome! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Along the same vein... I highly recommend The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge smile.gif

Edited by Jen Sawyer

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 29 2008, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (Jen Sawyer @ Jan 29 2008, 08:30 PM)
This is awesome!  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Along the same vein... I highly recommend The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge  smile.gif

Ha, I might have to pick that up.

It's a fun little book. My wife got it for me one Christmas.