Skid Row's Sebastian Bach covering Jacob's Ladder

fonzbear2000

Sounded pretty damn decent to me althoogh some of the drum parts were a little obscure nearer to the end.

The song wasn't even on the album that's pictured.

Anyway, the drumming is too busy, the vocals aren't horrible, but are kind of annoying, and the vocals and guitar are just a tad too metally for my tastes. Meh.

It wasn't an embarrassment to Rush or anything, but I rarely ever hear a Rush cover that is worthy. I'm usually left wondering why someone bothered as it can never touch the original. The only time I've heard a successful cover was that Jacob Moon dude doing Subdivisions because he changed it SO much and made it so much his own that it was at least interesting.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 14 2010, 11:09 AM)

Anyway, the drumming is too busy, the vocals aren't horrible, but are kind of annoying, and the vocals and guitar are just a tad too metally for my tastes.  Meh. 

It wasn't an embarrassment to Rush or anything, but I rarely ever hear a Rush cover that is worthy.  I'm usually left wondering why someone bothered as it can never touch the original.  The only time I've heard a successful cover was that Jacob Moon dude doing Subdivisions because he changed it SO much and made it so much his own that it was at least interesting.

WOW...this Jacob Moon 'Subdivions' cover on a roof is pretty cool! Thanks for pointing it out. And it's a really cool video too!

QUOTE (KidGloves @ Nov 14 2010, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (fonzbear2000 @ Nov 13 2010, 10:42 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r39RmBLZpo

It's actually pretty good IMO. What do you think?

It's not too bad. I like his Children of the Damned cover (Iron Maiden) better. Also, Travis, you're from Maidenfans, aren't you?

Yep, that's me. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 19 2010, 12:53 PM)
Have you heard Skid Row's cover of What You're Doing?

What You're Doing

Good cover.

the drumming is waaay too busy. it's alright. the guitarist is on, definitely and so is the bass. I've never been too big of a SB fan vocals wise, but it's not half bad.

Personally, I'd prefer if a band or singer covered a song and changed it around a little to make it their own instead of trying to song exactly like the original. Thats why I like Jacob Moon's cover of Subdivisions, he made it unique. Why listen to a cover if it sounds just like the original?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 14 2010, 11:09 AM)

Anyway, the drumming is too busy...

Yeah, this was on a Rush tribute album (maybe Working Man?) some years ago.

The drumming is far too busy. That's the beauty of Neil's playing, he can play busy but not all the time and often he does so with taste and not quite the wankery displayed here by I don't know who (I want to say Portnoy...I wouldn't be surprised).

Archived