Flat monitor screens at stage front

BellaCheval

I noticed on the Snakes & Arrows Live in Sweden DVD that there's a couple of monitors at stage front, but I can't tell what's up on them. Is it set lists, lyrics, baseball scores....?

On the Blu-Ray I can see those very well. They are teleprompters with the lyrics.

Nope, nothing wrong with having help remembering stuff. Hell, I have days where if I didn't look at my ID badge for work I'd have trouble remembering who I am! eyesre4.gif

Oh for sure. With so many songs to remember, anyone would need a little help.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 3 2010, 06:36 PM)
And I wonder if not being the writer of the lyrics makes them harder to remember?

Interesting question but I think the answer is no. When it is your job to remember these lyrics and sing them with conviction every other night, you get pretty good at it. Hell most of us have a pretty good handle on the lyrics and we are just listeners. smile.gif

Example: I didn't write the National Electrical Code but it's my job to interpret the code and enforce the code. Over the years I have learned to recite sections without even thinking about it but for some other sections, I have to refer to the code book - or the teleprompter. cool.gif

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 3 2010, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 3 2010, 06:36 PM)
And I wonder if not being the writer of the lyrics makes them harder to remember?

Interesting question but I think the answer is no. When it is your job to remember these lyrics and sing them with conviction every other night, you get pretty good at it. Hell most of us have a pretty good handle on the lyrics and we are just listeners. smile.gif

Example: I didn't write the National Electrical Code but it's my job to interpret the code and enforce the code. Over the years I have learned to recite sections without even thinking about it but for some other sections, I have to refer to the code book - or the teleprompter. cool.gif

yes but as fans we listen to their music a LOT more than they do. They pretty much have to learn all these old songs over again every time they tour.

QUOTE (Duck @ Nov 3 2010, 07:49 PM)
Obama must have suggested it to Ged.

Or any newscaster, sportscaster, talk show host, etc. etc. Teleprompters are ubiquitous. Sarah Palin even uses one tongue.gif

Wish I had the money for some flat screens. I always have papers around my pedal board on the floor. I have never had to look at them but just knowing they are there is a huge relief smile.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Nov 4 2010, 02:41 AM)
QUOTE (Duck @ Nov 3 2010, 07:49 PM)
Obama must have suggested it to Ged.

Or any newscaster, sportscaster, talk show host, etc. etc. Teleprompters are ubiquitous. Sarah Palin even uses one tongue.gif

I thought Palin used crib notes or something. I seem to recall the press making fun of that, as well as Obama with his teleprompter set up at the pre-school "circle-time" event with the little kids.

As for Ged using one -- yeah I guess "everyone" uses them, but I just wonder why he needs one since he is such a virtuoso. Does the 'prompter have the bass notes on it too?

Maybe someone should develop and patent some teleprompter headgear. They look like sun glasses -- a heads-up display on the glasses inside that projects a fake screen out ahead of your eyes in your field of view with the text on it. That way people that want 'prompting 24x7 can get it and look cool at the same time.

QUOTE (Duck @ Nov 4 2010, 02:58 PM)
As for Ged using one -- yeah I guess "everyone" uses them, but I just wonder why he needs one since he is such a virtuoso. Does the 'prompter have the bass notes on it too?

think about it... 35+ years worth of songs with complex lyrics, most of which Geddy probably hasn't listened to or attempted to play since they were released. Of course he needs a little help up there, or at least a backup in case he gets stuck.

Maybe Geddy could program them to give him real time updates on his fantasy baseball team so they wouldn't need breaks for him to check them out.

Archived