Found a new like for Roll The Bones

That One Guy

I decided to throw a couple Roll The Bones songs on a playlist and found a new appreciation for the album. It might have been a soft sound for the beginning of the 90's, but I'm really digging songs like The Big Wheel and Face Up. They're nice and upbeat. This album could have used thicker production, but is still solid all around.

Hated this album at first, but it's really grown on me lately. It's far from perfect but I love most of the songs on the album. I just wish there was a little more punch to the bass. The only skips for me for the most part are Heresy and Neurotica (and even Heresy I don't dislike that much). "Where's My Thing?" is my favorite instrumental, so props to RTB for that...

...and I don't mind the Roll the Bones rap at all wink.gif

Some of the melodies and guitar lines of the album are very catchy. They would have had something if the Counterparts producer (forgot his name) had produced Roll The Bones.

There's some stuff on it that I really like. I think Dreamline, Bravado, RTB, WMT?, TBW and GOAC are all great. The rest of it just falls flat. Probably their most inconsistant album as far as i'm conserned. Some really good stuff with several stinkers thrown in.

Facts:

1) Neurotica ROCKS! Easily a Top 3 song on RTB for sure.

2) The 'RAP' in RTB is great. I've never had an issue with it whatsoever, and think it fits just fine within the song (and I dislike actual Rap music)

3) Ghost of a Chance, Dreamline, and Bravado are all spectacular songs, and are important pieces of the Rush catelog.

4) All the hate for this album is ridiculous in my book.

Crap , except Ghost Of A Chance

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Oct 25 2010, 02:16 PM)
I do wish the production was meatier.... like That One Guy said, I would have loved to have heard these songs produced a la Counterparts.

Absolutely...

As much as we all shit on VT for it's crappy production, the production of RTB is just as bad (just the opposite sonically).

With a "meatier" production, there is no doubt that this RTB would've benefited greatly (same goes for Presto).

It's disappointing, but at the same time, I still believe in these songs, and I think they are still great personally.

I honestly believe that better production, and giving the songs more "balls" would've definitely helped it in terms of people's overall view of this album.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Oct 25 2010, 02:00 PM)

I honestly believe that better production, and giving the songs more "balls" would've definitely helped it in terms of people's overall view of this album.

Oh hell no........................... You can paint a garbage can Gold, but it is Still a garbage can laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 25 2010, 03:05 PM)

Oh hell no........................... You can paint a garbage can Gold, but it is Still a garbage can laugh.gif

But if it's gold, then it would be worth more! wink.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Oct 25 2010, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 25 2010, 03:05 PM)

But if it's gold, then it would be worth more! wink.gif

More like Fake Gold laugh.gif

As much as we all shit on VT for it's crappy production, the production of RTB is just as bad (just the opposite sonically).

Not true at all. I agree that RtB could be better in terms of production, but MY issue with VT is that my head physically hurts whenever I try to listen to it. I have no unpleasant physical reaction to RtB when I hear it.

Personally RtB has 3 of my "five star" Rush songs on it, so I can't help but like it a lot. I don't find the "less than stellar" songs to be crap- but it seems the album is mostly either 5 star songs or 3 star songs for me, so it does lack in consistency.

Archived