I Remember When......

g under p

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can remember when a loaf of bread was 25 cents and gasoline was 33 cents a gallon.

I can remember Black and White television, dial phones, and having a milkman deliver milk to the house.

I can remember life without a computer/internet. It wasn't all that bad..... wink.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

I remember when a quart of beer was $.45 and a pack of smokes were $.55

I remember getting floor seats for Cheap Trick and Ted Nugent for $7.00

I remember when i got tour shirts in the parking lot after the show for $5.00

I remember when there were things on the news other than 9/11, war on terror, afghanistan, iraq, iran, stupid morons who run various countries around the world.

New should be news, not Politics 101, damnit.

Show me some damn floods! Show me a little boy named Cliffburt who saved a puppy from falling down a sewer drain! Show me anything!

I remember riding my bike without a helmet. And tying a rope with a wood handle on it to a friend's bicycle, grabbing that handle, and getting on my skateboard. Not a melon-cover in sight.

I remember being able to open a bottle of aspirin or Tylenol and not having to use military grade shears to get through all the protective wrapping. It was just open-and-pop tablets. (I swear, I hate that asshole who poisoned Extra-Strength Tylenol in 1986 with all my might. That's what led to all that shrink wrapping and "tear here" and "if the protective seal is broken, do not use" shit. If I ever got my hands on him. . .he'd need a lot more than Tylenol).

I remember when kids were actually told that they were doing something "WRONG" (instead of "inappropriate").....

I remember my teenage years in the 80s. Playing videogames at the arcade (during the "golden age" of videogaming), listening to New Wave/Pop music on the arcade's sound system, waiting to go see "The Karate Kid." And worrying about girls.

I began smoking then, and would get change from a dollar for a pack of smokes. (Ergo, cartons were about $10. Today, $10 will only get you a pack!)

I remember my young years in the 70s. No worries at all. Feeling great. "Star Wars." Playing outside until dark, and sometimes a bit later. Hide n' Seek, that kind of thing. We were outside all day. Today, kids (and I) are couch potatoes.

I wish I could go back and do it all again. Sometimes I overdose on 70s and 80s nostalgia, trying to re-live it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 30 2010, 06:20 PM)
Playing outside until dark, and sometimes a bit later. Hide n' Seek, that kind of thing. We were outside all day.

Ever worry about today's kids not having any concept of "Go outside and play"....?

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I remember when there used to be such a thing as a record store where you could walk in, browse through rows and rows of weird and wonderful lp's and maybe even buy a few.

I also vaguely remember when every single bloody tv show wasn't sponsored by some inane product or company.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Sep 30 2010, 05:38 PM)
I remember when music wasn't all about the latest top 40 singer

charts, sales, etc...have pretty much ALWAYS been about that. you're forgetting that in their day, people like The Beatles, Elvis, even Frank Sinatra, were equivalent in terms of popularity and social standing to the ke$sha's and lady gaga's of modern music.

of course, on the other end of the spectrum, music itself as an artistic expression has NEVER been about that, and most of the best current, modern, 21st century artists are the ones who couldn't care less about topping the charts or being the latest top 40 singer.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 30 2010, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 30 2010, 06:20 PM)
Playing outside until dark, and sometimes a bit later. Hide n' Seek, that kind of thing. We were outside all day.

Ever worry about today's kids not having any concept of "Go outside and play"....?

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Today you have to pay kids to play outside. The other day I almost fell over myself when I saw the kids outside playing basketball. I yelled down to them "you'll alright".

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Sep 30 2010, 04:23 PM)
I Remember Now....

I Remember How it Started....

I Cant Remember Yesterday....

I Just Remember Doing... What they Told me................

laugh.gif

Classic!!

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 30 2010, 06:30 PM)
...I listened to mostly overplayed classic-rock standards promoted by the aging-boomer-driven media, and wondered why there wasn't any good music anymore.

Then I grew up.

laugh.gif

I remember one phone in the house. With a dial. And a cord. And by cord I mean from the handset to the phone on the wall.

I remember dialing in a radio station and then manually going back and forth over the station to lock in the best reception and then pulling out that plastic/metal preset. I remember when there were only 5 presets possible for all of FM.

I remember rolling a car window down. The drivers window. Which is the only one that went down with that crank.

I remember not having cruise control, intermittent wipers, and a cool high beam switch on the floor that I could hit with my foot.

I remember playing on very rusty playground equipment.

I remember candy cigarettes, toy guns, and fake vomit.

I remember 7 channels.

I remember dittos.

I remember being scared of the word Vietnam, and I remember being scared of nuclear war.

I remember when John Lennon died, and when President Reagan got shot.

I remember wondering if anyone else thought Cheryl Ladd was hotter than farah Fawcett.

I remember thinking Fonzi was cool. As I got older, I saw that he was kind of a douchebag.

I remember really liking the brady Bunch, and not understanding why parents thought it was dumb.

I remember a lot of things.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 30 2010, 10:17 PM)

I remember . . . a cool high beam switch on the floor that I could hit with my foot.

I REMEMBER THOSE!

That was a GREAT design, and it needs to return.

I remember yesterday - walking hand in hand

Love letters in the sand - I remember you

Through the sleepless nights and every endless day

I'd wanna hear you say - I remember you

Ahhh, the halcyon days of hair metal...

Archived