Stinkbugs

lerxt1990

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 26 2010, 09:43 PM)
Is it me or does the dragonfly look like a dog?
http://www.uglybug.org/images00/bug45.jpg

I LOVE dragonflies! They eat all the mosquitos at my cottage! I actually made friends with one at the dock and every time a mosquito landed on me the dragonfly would swoop down and snatch him off smile.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Sep 26 2010, 11:02 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 26 2010, 09:43 PM)
Is it me or does the dragonfly look like a dog?
http://www.uglybug.org/images00/bug45.jpg

I LOVE dragonflies! They eat all the mosquitos at my cottage! I actually made friends with one at the dock and every time a mosquito landed on me the dragonfly would swoop down and snatch him off smile.gif

"Dragonflies: Man's Best Friend". laugh.gif

What a great site! Thanks for posting. Amazing!! I dig this one as well. Check out the 'screen' over the eyes. The symmetry is almost perfect.

http://www.uglybug.org/images00/bug121.jpg

We get the mosquito-fogger truck driving through neighborhoods every so often.

What scares me are the three kids, all from the same family, who like to ride their bikes right behind the truck every time, directly in the mist of insecticide. They follow it up and down the street.

Bet THEIR children will be interesting -looking.

This is our third year of stinkbugs here. A few here and there.

They don't really do anything. They just hang out - mostly in the drapes. They are pretty harmless. Tiny little army tanks with feet.

I just pick them up and put them outside.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 27 2010, 10:02 AM)
We get the mosquito-fogger truck driving through neighborhoods every so often.
What scares me are the three kids, all from the same family, who like to ride their bikes right behind the truck every time, directly in the mist of insecticide. They follow it up and down the street.
Bet THEIR children will be interesting -looking.

This was one of our favorite summer activities when I was a kid, playing in the smoke from the "bug truck"

QUOTE (librarian @ Sep 27 2010, 12:44 PM)
They don't really do anything. They just hang out - mostly in the drapes. They are pretty harmless. Tiny little army tanks with feet.

We are overrun with the stinkbugs this year in western Pennsylvania, I smash them in tissue and flush them.

QUOTE (librarian @ Sep 27 2010, 01:44 PM)

You're kinder than I am. Anything in my house with more than 4 legs meets the Foot of Doom.

Or sometimes it's fun to play "Bomber Pilot" with the can of Raid.

I just think of them as the hippie of the bug world, they mean no harm, they hang out, and sometimes stink a little. tongue.gif I mean that in the best way.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 27 2010, 09:20 AM)
What a great site! Thanks for posting. Amazing!! I dig this one as well. Check out the 'screen' over the eyes. The symmetry is almost perfect.

http://www.uglybug.org/images00/bug121.jpg

It looks like its smiling.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 26 2010, 07:43 PM)
http://www.cirrusimage.com/Bugs/brown_stinkbug_13.jpg

These little guys are very big this year in some areas...

THAT'S a stink bug?? We had them all over the place in Spokane (where I grew up). I haven't seen a single one over here. I never knew what kind of bugs those were.

If I can't see a bug, I'm ok with it. It's the creepy crawly things we have all over the place here in Seattle that brings on barfing attacks. And they all start with the letter 's'.

Slugs (Banana slugs)

Spiders

Salamanders

Snakes

Snails

We're dealing with "waterbugs" right now in my area of Texas. These things are basically massive versions of cockroaches that fly. Not only do they fly, they wait to do so at the precise moment you're poised to wail on them with a shoe, rolled up paper, what have you. When they know you're at your most vulnerable, they fly into your face or hair. I've had full-on nervous breakdowns dealing with those mothers. And, if you do have an opportunity to step on one, first they crunch, then squish/splat, and spray bug guts EVERYWHERE.

Oh... my... god... 062802puke_prv.gif

My dog tried to eat a stinkbug when he was a puppy. Funniest thing I've ever seen. He was actually licking the ground to get the taste out of his mouth! laugh.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 29 2010, 02:59 PM)
We're dealing with "waterbugs" right now in my area of Texas. These things are basically massive versions of cockroaches that fly. Not only do they fly, they wait to do so at the precise moment you're poised to wail on them with a shoe, rolled up paper, what have you. When they know you're at your most vulnerable, they fly into your face or hair. I've had full-on nervous breakdowns dealing with those mothers. And, if you do have an opportunity to step on one, first they crunch, then squish/splat, and spray bug guts EVERYWHERE.

Oh... my... god... 062802puke_prv.gif

We get those in the coastal areas of the Southeast, as well, and we call them Palmetto bugs. Yeah - they're gross. Totally give me the willies.