Alex guitar problems at Boston show?

dakota2112

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Sep 15 2010, 01:08 AM)
Yeah, it's all over Facebook... Maybe the guitar tech should just have brought him another guitar..... confused13.gif

It isn't as easy as that for Alex. He probably doesn't have another guitar with the tuning he uses for La villa. That is why he changes guitars so often during a show. Each guitar suits a certain song with it's tuning.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 15 2010, 10:37 AM)
FOH? what song is that?

FOH = Front Of House (or in other words, the speakers facing the audience). His guitar may have been heard out "front" but not in his ear monitors.

QUOTE (tst4eko @ Sep 15 2010, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (Supersyl @ Sep 15 2010, 01:08 AM)
Yeah, it's all over Facebook... Maybe the guitar tech should just have brought him another guitar.....  confused13.gif

It isn't as easy as that for Alex. He probably doesn't have another guitar with the tuning he uses for La villa. That is why he changes guitars so often during a show. Each guitar suits a certain song with it's tuning.

No. Most (if not all) Rush songs are in standard tuning, except Between the Wheels which I believe is in dropped-D. The reason he switches guitars so much is because he can! If I had a zillion guitars to bring on tour I would too.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 15 2010, 09:16 AM)

From where I was sitting, I wasn't sure he was having problems or not. It seemed like it was another joke for the sake of entertaining the audience.

But when he comes back on stage, given where I was sitting (way up there in the balcony), I couldn't tell if it was all real or not.

They were so smooth at handling it I considered that it might have been staged to build tension.

It was not staged and Alex was not happy at all.

He tried his darnest to make the best of a bad situation.

I'm not too sure why the band came out so quickly for the encore when it was evident that there was no guitar sound for the 2nd part of Far Cry. You would have thought that they would take the opportunity to address the technical problem first.

Despite that, the whole show was awesome and the band were really enjoying themselves prior to the above mentioned difficulties.

QUOTE (orangefan244 @ Sep 15 2010, 10:58 AM)
Watching the YouTube videos, they really brought it last night. No offense to Boston, but I was hoping my Syracuse show was going to be the best :-) I guess there's no such thing as a "bad" Rush concert!

They were so good that one of my least favorite songs, "Working Them Angels", was one of the best songs they played all night.

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Sep 15 2010, 11:14 AM)
QUOTE (orangefan244 @ Sep 15 2010, 10:58 AM)
Watching the YouTube videos, they really brought it last night.  No offense to Boston, but I was hoping my Syracuse show was going to be the best :-)  I guess there's no such thing as a "bad" Rush concert!

They were so good that one of my least favorite songs, "Working Them Angels", was one of the best songs they played all night.

Felt the same way about Leave That Thing Alone in Syracuse. Not one of my favorites, but boy Geddy just tore up that bass on it!

I thought the no guitar rant was entertaining enough that it could have been staged. We were way in back though, so I couldn't really see Alex's interaction with the incompetent techie. I actually thought the rant added to the show, although I was disappointed to get a neutered version of Far Cry.

The guitar was lost during the pyro in Far Cry. It was gone for the rest of the song.

When they came back on stage it was still gone.

People are saying it was the wireless because of the cables, but they changed cables a couple of times. The problem most definitely had nothing to do with the ES 355. I think it might have been the amps themselves (although it probably was just the wireless). The sound was significantly different once they got their work around in place.

In my usual manner of over thinking solutions to problems that I didn't have to work on... I think he might have been going straight into the PA for the encore. From my seat in the way distance the guitar kinda had that DI sort of crappy sound to it.

He clearly was pissed off about the situation, but hats off to the tech who found a way to get him back up as quickly as humanly possible. The guy clearly found himself in a really painful situation and he kept his head and got things to work out. The "Still No Guitar" improv was a blast, but it very well could have been the end of the show. Nice job, guitar tech.

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Sep 15 2010, 09:32 AM)
I was there 13th row center. Alex had guitar problems throughout much of the 2nd set, intermittently not being able to hear himself, going back and forth from the stage to side stage, despite his guitar being present in the FOH mix. And yes at one point then there was no guitar in FOH for almost an entire song. Then when they went into the La Villa intro, Geddy and Neil played the intro repeatedly while the techs worked to try to get Alex's guitar working again, trying 3 different cables. It was actually very funny at this point as they played the intro over and over for several minutes. After a while Alex started making up his own lyrics that went along with the La Villa intro, "Still no guitar"...eventually the crowd joined in too. Funny as hell. I also thought I heard him singing "I wish my guitar would work" too. I don't know who these techs were but these kids looked like dopey 18 year old kids who didn't know a guitar cable from from an Xbox cable. Alex actually introduced one of them saying "this is my new tech". I thought the way Alex handled it was awesome. It actually added some spontaneity to the show.

I'm with you on all this- I was also 13th row Alex's side. He was clearly having problems with his mix in the earphone monitors for a couple of songs prior to Far Cry- he kept looking stage right at the guys doing monitor mix and gesturing to say "turn it up" for a while.

As for those who think it was part of the act, I dont think so. Alex was so happy through the whole show, goofing, making faces at his boys and people in the audience, but when this started that all changed. He was visibly disturbed and angry, and it lasted all the way through La Villa. Those glares and arrows from his eyes to the tech were genuine...

I noticed Geddy asking for help with his monitors a couple of times too. I think they might just have had a crappy night, technologically speaking. They sure weren't having any problems playing, they were all on fire all night.