Alex guitar problems at Boston show?

dakota2112

A friend of a friend texted me saying that Alex was having seriously bad technical difficulties with his guitar setup this evening. Can anyone confirm this?

update: they're saying his guitar either barely worked, or didn't work at all, through most or all of (one song), and then still did not work at the beginning of (another song).

Edited by dakota2112

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guitar cut out before the "solo" section of Far Cry. They (Geddy and Neil) finished the song, and then left the stage like the show was over. When they came back out, Geddy and Neil start into a jam while making fun of Alex because he couldn't play. This probably went on for five minutes before Alex came back on, and they launched right into La Villa.

Yeah, it cut out during Far Cry. He tried to wave off Neil and Dirk before they started La Villa- he knew he was still having problems, but he couldnt get their attention, and they started anyway.

Alex was trying to make light of it and started a rant of "still no guitar", but he was clearly pissed. I hope somebody got the rant on video, it was pretty funny, and the audience joined right in.

The problem was with the ES-355, the tech came out and even tried a couple of cables instead of the wireless, but no sound at all. He gave a lot of really angry looks and gestures at the tech, and seemed unsatisfied with the guitar and distracted through La Villa, but he recovered well for Working Man and was smokin.

Too bad, cuz for most of the show he was clearly enjoying himself, lots of goofy faces and hamming it up. They were amazing, cant wait for Bristow this weekend.

I hear ya Supersyl, but I was really hoping they wouldn't take the 355 away... Something about that guitar, especially for La Villa...

As frustrating as it clearly was for Lerxst, it was cool to watch them deal with it like the pros that they are, they made the best of it, and I do hope somebody got video of the "still no guitar, stupid guitar" rant for our viewing pleasure.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Sep 15 2010, 06:40 AM)
Aside from that, the boys were on FIRE. They played tight all night, the audience was LOUD and energetic (I was one of the crazies in the back row), and Alex and Geddy were hamming it up left and right.

The boys did a fine job there, like Deckkiller said.

I took some great pics of them.

The problems made this show unique, although Alex seriously didn't enjoy it. I did laugh.gif

Ha! Here is a link to somone that got the video! Part of it anyway, he missed the audience chanting "still no guitar" with him. It went on for a bit longer than this video, but still its gets the gist...

Edited by tskidmore

It seemed like the pyro on Far Cry blew out something. They finished the song, (sans guitar sound) but Alex was glaring at his tech and periodically yelling over to him. When Neil started La Villa, Alex ran over and was waving for him to stop, but it was too late. The ad lib was actually entertaining. But Alex was clearly aggravated for the rest of the show. He still played amazingly though. The beauty of a live performance!

The last time Alex's guitar gave out during 'Far Cry' after the pyro went off, was on the last date of the 2007 leg of the Snakes & Arrows Tour on October 29, 2007 in Helsinki.

The differences between this one and the current is that the rhythm overdubs kept the guitar part going and that it was the amps and not the wireless system that was the problem.

Edited by RushFanForever

QUOTE (tskidmore @ Sep 15 2010, 05:56 AM)
Ha! Here is a link to somone that got the video! Part of it anyway, he missed the audience chanting "still no guitar" with him. It went on for a bit longer than this video, but still its gets the gist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy2tqwjhlaI

That was great! I'd love to see a closer video though. It was a bit hard to hear everything Alex was saying.

WTH is happening with Al and his guitar this tour? Does it simply come down to an issue with his tech?

I am so TIRED from last night!

From where I was sitting, I wasn't sure he was having problems or not. It seemed like it was another joke for the sake of entertaining the audience.

I did notice that when the pyro went off, right after the song was definitely sounding differently and without guitar.

But when he comes back on stage, given where I was sitting (way up there in the balcony), I couldn't tell if it was all real or not.

I remember seeing Rick Wakeman have an issue during a Yes concert and you could see him yelling at his tech. And that show was taped for a DVD!

Nice meeting Deckiller and all the other TRF'ers I hadn't met before.

On Facebook, Donna Halper met up with Neil before the concert had some philosophical discussions with him, something she said never happens (hanging with Neil at a show).

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Sep 15 2010, 06:24 AM)
RUSH "La Villa Strangiato" Boston - Time Machine Tour - Guitar Malfunction.

Real quick before I have to be on mom patrol...

I was watching this clip and my son came in, heard Alex's rant about having no guitar and he had to go and grab my (more his these days) guitar and start playing for Al. I thought it was too cute. Maybe Al should hire my four-year-old to help him with his guitar issues.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/Picture1542.jpg

I was there 13th row center. Alex had guitar problems throughout much of the 2nd set, intermittently not being able to hear himself, going back and forth from the stage to side stage, despite his guitar being present in the FOH mix. And yes at one point then there was no guitar in FOH for almost an entire song. Then when they went into the La Villa intro, Geddy and Neil played the intro repeatedly while the techs worked to try to get Alex's guitar working again, trying 3 different cables. It was actually very funny at this point as they played the intro over and over for several minutes. After a while Alex started making up his own lyrics that went along with the La Villa intro, "Still no guitar"...eventually the crowd joined in too. Funny as hell. I also thought I heard him singing "I wish my guitar would work" too. I don't know who these techs were but these kids looked like dopey 18 year old kids who didn't know a guitar cable from from an Xbox cable. Alex actually introduced one of them saying "this is my new tech". I thought the way Alex handled it was awesome. It actually added some spontaneity to the show.