Scalpers and Security

nobodys hero

I was sitting in my seat for the 8/18 show when some peeps come along and tell me I'm in there seats. They had bought them from a scalper(same thinkg as broker in my book) for $600 a pop.

I had a great security guard near me on Monday and so he went and looked at the guys ticket and told him the date on his seats had been 8/16. After much ado the guy admitted he used the hard copy seats 14 & 15 to get in.

The story gets uglier from here. "David" the scalper had somewhere between 24-28 seats all in the front row he sold to non-handicapped people! dazed025.gif Not only that but the seats were duplicates! The security peeps were like David is on his way and he will straighten this out. The show is getting ready to start and David comes along and tells us we need to double up because he has sold too many other seats. My hubs and I were like F-U! I didn't buy seats from you and this is not my problem.He threatened to throw us out, to which I replied go ahead! He packed people in there like sardines and if you look at the other RR thread you can see I am in front of my hubby.

Intermission comes and I ask the security who is this guy and why is he able to do this? The guy told me I don't know who his connections are but he sells seats like this every show. Not satisfied with that answer, I asked the security manager who told me he doesn't even know who David is connected to.

So I track down David and tell him he has screwed me over as I have back problems and now I can't sit during any part of the show if I want to see it. He tells me they are moving peeps down to the other end to make up for some overcrowding. He takes my number down and tells me he will try to get me a refund as Live Nation double booked the show.

My friend Mike who has 5% of his vision left and his kidneys are failing was down at the other end. He was told by David that if he stood the whole night he would be in the DVD. By the time I went to get him he was totally blind. I started to pick up his bag and his cane and he started yelling for security. I got right in front of him and started talking to him and calmed him down. He realized who I was and he nearly had to be carried out. He was a mess because he stood all night. He honestly thinks he may have had a small stroke.

I did get a call from David on my road trip. We've played phone tag so I've yet to really speak with him. I also called the person at Live Nation who sold me the seats.

There is some real BS happening at RR and I'd like to know who to hold accountable. My friend was such a mess and I myself was in a world of hurt but I don't really know who to contact other than those mentioned above.

Anybody have any ideas for me on what to do?

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Aug 25 2010, 10:52 AM)
Let me see if I got this straight. You had legit tickets for the show and a scalper sold the same seats illegitimately AND then came in and told you you had to "double up" because he sold bogus tickets? And Security backed him up? WTF???

What is RR?

Red Rocks

wtf.gif is going on at Red Rocks? Some really weird stories. Just when we think we have one cleared up THANKS to Nobody's Hero, another one is started..

Sorry, but this just doesn't make sense. Why in the worls would security support this if they were sold illegaly? And who is this scalper to tell YOU and Security what they had to do so that his illegal seats could be accomodated? Bizarre...

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Aug 25 2010, 07:52 AM)
Let me see if I got this straight. You had legit tickets for the show and a scalper sold the same seats illegitimately AND then came in and told you you had to "double up" because he sold bogus tickets? And Security backed him up? WTF???

What is RR?

Yep! He has some kind of scam going on over there. I just cant figure out who to call to report his ass.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 25 2010, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Aug 25 2010, 07:52 AM)

What is RR?

Yep! He has some kind of scam going on over there. I just cant figure out who to call to report his ass.

The time to do something about it would've been at the show. I would not have allowed to be doubled up, would've demanded that security remove these people, and if security refused to do so I would've done it myself and also would've gone further up the chain of command to complain.

At this point I would try to gather as much info about this David guy as you can (what is his connection to Live Nation?) and try to get him to refund your money. If he refunds your money I'd let him off the hook. If he doesn't, then I would do everytihng in your power to make his life miserable. That's why I suggest you try to figure out who he is and what exactly happened so that you can screw him if he doesn't refund your money.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 25 2010, 10:51 AM)
Sorry, but this just doesn't make sense. Why in the worls would security support this if they were sold illegaly?

My guess is that this "David" has got some sort of serious pull at the venue or in something that's related to the venue. I'm guessing if security is allowing the guy to do this that they're probably getting a cut from whatever money "David" makes off the tickets.

Still, this is very strange indeed i've been going to concerts for 18 years. I've seen shows in every type of venue both big and small and i've never heard of anything like this ever happening. confused13.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 25 2010, 10:51 AM)
wtf.gif is going on at Red Rocks? Some really weird stories. Just when we think we have one cleared up THANKS to Nobody's Hero, another one is started..

Sorry, but this just doesn't make sense. Why in the worls would security support this if they were sold illegaly? And who is this scalper to tell YOU and Security what they had to do so that his illegal seats could be accomodated? Bizarre...

its called kickback....do the math. $600 per ticket? 20-30 seats?

up to 18k. a few bucks to the head of security and your still way ahead

You know that some money is being passed along if you go to the supervisor of security and he tells you he can't help.

Lucky for me the phone number I have for David has a friendly recording with the companies name, so I have a little more info.

I will call him yet again, call Live Nation but I think the real person who may be able to help is a guy at RR who handles all the accessible seating. If all else fails the news stations may be interested. This explain why it is so damn hard to get accessible seats unless you want the last row in the venue. angry.gif

I have a feeling this guy is going to be exposed as a scammer. I wonder if the cops can get involved?

Call one of your local TV news channels. I don't know if they do reports on scammers like this in your town. Here, they do this all the time on the news. This sounds like just the perfect story they would cover.

Man, there's some weird sh-t happening at these Red Rocks shows.

What a shame because it really is a beautiful venue. As I said elsewhere.... I guess it tends to bring out a lot of bad people.

I've been to three Rush shows and about 15-20 others in very diverse locations for very diverse acts, and none of them ever felt quite like the 8/16 show did to me.

It just felt like there was something "off" about it from the very beginning. The technical issues, the band appearing flustered, the (already well-documented) problems with crowds in this and other threads.

I had an absolute nightmare of a time trying to get tickets from LiveNation; the moment tickets went on sale for that show, the server completely crashed. I had to overpay from StubHub last time because they all sold out in about 10 minutes when I did them online.

If there are indeed some ticketing shenanigans going on with LiveNation it doesn't surprise me one bit. I've had trouble both times I've seen Rush at RR.

I think I might see them in Omaha or something next time.

Just curious, is it possible that the two incidents we have heard about at Red Rocks are related? What I mean is that I am wondering if the person who claimed she was removed by security "for no reason", was removed because security discovered she was one of the people who didn't have rightful access to front row confused13.gif Maybe a shot in the dark, but just curious if the two are related...

I'd contact the local AG. they love to take on crap like this. In FL we have FDLE, Florida Department of Law Enforcement. They handle scams like this as well as other big crimes like money laundering, racketeering etc. If you have an organization like this in CO, I'd call and ask for an investigator and express your concerns. Don't even bother with the locals.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 25 2010, 06:54 PM)
Just curious, is it possible that the two incidents we have heard about at Red Rocks are related? What I mean is that I am wondering if the person who claimed she was removed by security "for no reason", was removed because security discovered she was one of the people who didn't have rightful access to front row confused13.gif Maybe a shot in the dark, but just curious if the two are related...

yes.gif me thinks you be right.

Here's where I stand right now: I just talked with the scalper and he told me that both Ticketmaster and Live Nation told him there would be no refund because we were still able to see the show. When he came and asked for my phone number I knew he was gonna blow smoke up my ass with some lame story and there it is. I did tell him I was going to talk to someone at a news station as well as Live Nation and Red Rocks and he didn't give a rats ass.

As I sit here typing I just heard back from Ron the guest services manager at RR. He's had many problems with David in the past but he didn't know he was back in action, he last knew of David scalping at RR 2 years ago. He wished he had known the night of the show as he would not have let him push me and the other peeps around. This guy has figured out how to double book seats and then flies in for the show grabs the tickets from the box office and passes them out. The last known phone number was no good so I just gave him David's phone number. Apparently TM and LN are aware of this guy. I don't understand why they don't bust him. confused13.gif

Ron assures me that his security guys have been there so long and are so honest and he is sure they would never take money but he was going to talk to them all so they would know to contact him the next time David shows up.

He thanked me profusely for letting him know and was really sorry especially about Mike. Although he couldn't give me a refund he was going to talk to the person at Live Nation who sold me my tickets. Maybe I will get a refund. I'm thankful I was able to see Rush again but my friend and I really suffered through the show.

RushRevisited I do NOT believe the two incidents are related. She was really moving around a lot and was blocking the exit aisle as she was dancing. She really got in to it with the security guy and he was as nice as can be. She was using her arms to make angel wings and all kinds of stuff that blocked the view of others.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 25 2010, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 25 2010, 06:54 PM)
Just curious, is it possible that the two incidents we have heard about at Red Rocks are related?  What I mean is that I am wondering if the person who claimed she was removed by security "for no reason", was removed because security discovered she was one of the people who didn't have rightful access to front row  confused13.gif    Maybe a shot in the dark, but just curious if the two are related...

yes.gif me thinks you be right.

I really don't think so. They did NOT remove anyone while David squished us together which was very frustrating. Security took a total hands off approach to the whole double seat problem. She was just not staying within her seated area and when security asked her nicely to move back she got really pissed at him. I watched it throughout the night. Security would tell her to move, she would bitch him out and as he turned back to his seat she was right where he told her to move from. He'd no sooner sit down and he'd be back up making her move again.

What if Ron, the "guest services manager" is on the take???? Just a thought.

I'd definitely get the AG and the news stations involved. They'll be all over it, especially since handicapped seating is involved.

That so pisses me off about your friend. angry.gif

If you want to get a news station on this call Tom Martino "The trouble shooter"630 AM K.H.O.W.

He has been working Denver issues for a long time.

He has a lot of media power.

Maybe they can get this guy at a popular show like Paramore in Sept.

I think Rod Rocks is a Denver Park and Contracts to Promoters (You would need to check this out)

Denver is very shady these days and this could be hard because the mayor is running for Gov.

When I Buy through Brokers (Scalpers) I buy the insurance, It's exstra Money but I can work it and maybe get my money back if something goes bad.

To get the good seats we all use Brokers (Scalpers), they have Software that dominates the servers when tickets go on sale.

Just some things to think about before pulling the trigger.

THE TICKET B.S. THESE DAYS TOTALLY SUCKS!! angry.gif

Edited by RUSHAMILEHIGH

Another thought:

Are the seats specifically designated ADA?(American w/ disabilitys act).

You would need to check with the AHJ.(Authority having jurisdiction).

Denver parks/ State of Colorado.

If so you may be able to file criminal/civil charges against scalper and a

All parties involved.

You have pictures showing double stacking in the row.

They May settle out of court, to make it go away.

If this happens to anybody else, call the police, not venue personal.

At red Rocks it is the Denver sheriffs dept.

I am very sorry for you and your freind.

QUOTE (RUSHAMILEHIGH @ Aug 25 2010, 08:11 PM)
To get the good seats we all use Brokers (Scalpers), they have Software that dominates the servers when tickets go on sale.

Is this legal?

I'm guessing it isn't but is probably too difficult to enforce.

It certainly shouldn't be.

It's why people like me could only go to one show instead of two on this tour, because we overpaid for the one.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Aug 26 2010, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHAMILEHIGH @ Aug 25 2010, 08:11 PM)

Is this legal?

I'm guessing it isn't but is probably too difficult to enforce.

It certainly shouldn't be.

It's why people like me could only go to one show instead of two on this tour, because we overpaid for the one.

I don't really know about the leagle part, that is a good question.

I have tried to use live Nation/Ticket master in the past right when they go on sale and the first tickets I have a choice on are row 25 & back.

This happened at Red Rocks for S&A and Fiddlers Green for Aerosmith.

The bad thing is I am only buying 2 tickets.

Dose this happen at other venues?

With the TM tour I tried the VIP rought through Rush.Com/Live Nation and was Promused the first 14 rows but the package cost more than the Broker's(Scalper's) 7th row and 4 th row.

In this thead the scalper said to NH that Live nation double booked.

Back in the day If you wanyed good seats you camped in line (Great times!)

Then they started the Lotto system in line and now with the web it is totally out of control.

The situation in this thread lets you know how bad it has gotten.

And why can you listen to the Radio station the day of the show and if your pet licks your face the longest you get front Row WTF!!!!! angry.gif