Guitar Players: GAS early warning - new Lerxst axe

tskidmore

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jan 31 2011, 09:43 PM)
QUOTE (elvtnedge @ Jan 18 2011, 06:33 PM)
Alex and gibson agreed 300 non signed guitars a year for 5 years so 1500 in total.

Canada is getting 10 of the 50 signed guitars.. 5 of each colour.

the signature will be on the back of the headstock

Ok, so let's do the math.

Gibson gets 1500 x 4000 = $6m

Big al gets 250 signatures x 2000 = $500k, and he probably gets a few free ones to give away to family, friends, staff etc.

And lastly for tskidmore

1 AL355 + 1 AL Axcess = 1 Angry Wifey.

tongue.gif

Actually only 50 signed guitars total, not 250..

My wife said I could get it, Im just cheap and unsure if I want a guitar with a floyd rose as I havent used one (eventhough I have an Ibanez) in years for sake of ease...

hmmmmm still gassing...

Actually only 50 signed guitars total, not 250..

My wife said I could get it, Im just cheap and unsure if I want a guitar with a floyd rose as I havent used one (eventhough I have an Ibanez) in years for sake of ease...

hmmmmm still gassing...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Aug 20 2010, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 19 2010, 03:21 PM)
I can only imagine how much Gibson will be asking for it.

Watch it be $20,000

And yet Geddy's signature bass was once $600 eyesre4.gif

lol Tarkey laugh.gif It's cause it was a Japanese made Fender Jazz Bass - if it were a Fender USA Jazz Bass, it would have easily gotten at least $1500-$2000. I have it - the only Rush Signature instrument I will probably ever be able to afford wink.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Feb 23 2011, 03:13 AM)

Watch it be $20,000

lol Tarkey laugh.gif It's cause it was a Japanese made Fender Jazz Bass - if it were a Fender USA Jazz Bass, it would have easily gotten at least $1500-$2000. I have it - the only Rush Signature instrument I will probably ever be able to afford wink.gif

Wanted the R30 kit fists crying.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Feb 23 2011, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Feb 23 2011, 03:13 AM)

Watch it be $20,000

Wanted the R30 kit fists crying.gif

Pags has a friend who won one of the R30 kits, complete with Paragon cymbals and gold-plated hardware. I had a chance to jam with both those guys and that set....sounded great just live in the room with no mics.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 15 2011, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 19 2010, 02:21 PM)

Knowing Gibson it will be a lot. The last one (355) went for around 4K if I remember correctly. I got to play one of those and I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. I am a LP guy so this one will probably grab my interest.

How was the setup from the factory on that 335?

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jan 31 2011, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (elvtnedge @ Jan 18 2011, 06:33 PM)
Alex and gibson agreed 300 non signed guitars a year for 5 years so 1500 in total.

Canada is getting 10 of the 50 signed guitars.. 5 of each colour.

the signature will be on the back of the headstock

Ok, so let's do the math.

Gibson gets 1500 x 4000 = $6m

Big al gets 250 signatures x 2000 = $500k, and he probably gets a few free ones to give away to family, friends, staff etc.

And lastly for tskidmore

1 AL355 + 1 AL Axcess = 1 Angry Wifey.

tongue.gif

Well I dont know about your math hooch-man, but I ordered mine (Viceroy Brown of course) yesterday. I prefer for this equation to look more like:

1 AL355 + 1 AL Axcess = 1 tskidmore biggrin.gif

Life is short, GAS wins. Wife will get over it, especially if I sell my current LP Axcess.

QUOTE (tskidmore @ Mar 1 2011, 08:15 AM)
Well I dont know about your math hooch-man, but I ordered mine (Viceroy Brown of course) yesterday. I prefer for this equation to look more like:

1 AL355 + 1 AL Axcess = 1 tskidmore biggrin.gif

Life is short, GAS wins. Wife will get over it, especially if I sell my current LP Axcess.

Did you get the signed by Alex version?

I put down money on the Royal Crimson non signed. Like tskidmore I want to play it.

1 AL355 + 1 AL Axcess = 1 happy Rush fan... and my wife is totally ok with this as I showed her the guitar and she loves the red. This was before she knew the price but still cool with it! 653.gif

QUOTE (tskidmore @ Mar 2 2011, 09:26 PM)
any of you TRFr's got any tips on getting good sound from the piezo?

You need to run the piezo into it's own signal chain. You can run it straight to the PA via a direct box but you have little control or tone shaping available that way.

Run first into a good acoustic preamp/processor. The old Yamaha AG Stomp is excellent. Other good ones are the Aphex Aural Exciter, Zoom A2, Baggs Para DI, and Sansamp Para Driver. These will let you dial out the piezo quack, add some fx if needed, and get a good tone to send out to the PA.

For monitoring, go into an acoustic amp or a powered monitor cabinet with a good horn tweeter. Acoustic tones really need the high frequencies.

My current rig has the piezo going into a Zoom A2. I like it because it can model your tone to sound like different acoustics, and has a good selection of effects. All settings can be saved as presets.

For the Rush gig, I use 5 different presets. One for my 12 string Acoustic (Hope & TMMB), one for a nylon string classical (Broons Bane/Trees/La Villa intro), and 3 with the piezo (basic 6 string acoustic , one with a detune effect to simulate a 12 string, and the same detune preset with a ton of reverb (Natural Science). It's a slick box for $90. It seems complicated at first but after you get used to it, it becomes very easy to program.

The Zoom runs to a Kustom 12" powered cabinet. It sounds good but it's a bit low on power for my needs. It will do until I get around to replacing it.

Thanks for the tips Pete, I've got a Magic Stomp that I dont use much, pretty similar to the AG stomp, and has some good acoustic patches, I'll give that a go and then maybe try the zoom.

Are you gigging more again, have you settled in to the commute, or have you got a new thing going in FL?

Great to hear from you!

Congrats tskidmore and elvt. I hope they sound as good as big al's. smile.gif

I'm still hunting a 339, maybe I'll ship it to pete to put a floyd in it. Ha. ;p

I'm tying to stay displined with spending on equipment, sell stuff before buying other stuff etc. It can get out of control quickly. It is tempting cause my new bass player is a mgr at guitar center, so a potential discount could swing my decision. Must stay disaplined. tongue.gif

QUOTE (tskidmore @ Mar 4 2011, 11:38 PM)
Thanks for the tips Pete, I've got a Magic Stomp that I dont use much, pretty similar to the AG stomp, and has some good acoustic patches, I'll give that a go and then maybe try the zoom.

Are you gigging more again, have you settled in to the commute, or have you got a new thing going in FL?

Great to hear from you!

Well, there's no commuting from here.

It's an 11 hour drive from here to Nashville. That's a bit much for me.

We did, however, pull off a gig last October. I drove up there, we ran through the setlist in one day and did the show the next day. Actually, it may have been the best show we've done. Who needs practice?

We're talking about maybe doing another Tennessee show in May and a Florida show in late summer or fall.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 13 2011, 06:07 PM)
^^^ That a 339? I've been meaning to try one out for a while now.

You have it in your possession yet?

Thanks guys....si, been wanting a 339 for while too. Lands on Thursday. GC was matching a sale Sam Ash was having, so the price was pretty low to pass on (plus my new bass player is mgr there). It's in their platuim showroom (so that is the actual pic of one I get), I thought about the white "alex like" one, but the vintage sunburst is just too cool.

I think it has same pus as the al-355. Should be fun to play. And I did sell over 1500 of stuff on ebay this week to fund it.....so far it has all worked out well.

I love al, but his guitars are clearly out of my league $ wise.

I have two friends with 339s and I have played a handful of them. The body is much more accommodating than the full size without giving up any tone. It has that 335 sound. When A-B'd next to my Les Paul Standard through my Fender Deluxe you could really hear the difference between solid and semi hollow in the tone. More pronounced lower mids in the semi hollow.

They and all ES models have the "Classic '57" humbuckers, which are based on the classic PAFs from the 50's. Except for the Lucille models which have 490R and 490T pickups, which are based on the classic PAFs from the 50's. Oh, and the ES 137 has a 490R and a 498T instead of the 490T. The 498T is also based on the classic PAFs from the 50's. Whereas Les Pauls can come with either '57 Classics, the 490 series (including the 98), or the BurstBucker variants (1, 2, 3 and/or Pro) which are all based on PAFs from the 50's. Gibson also makes Ceramic humbuckers, "Dirty Fingers", Angus Young and Tony Iommi model humbuckers which are based on hot rodded/modified versions of PAFs from the 50's. Seriously though the variants on these are fairly subtle, like magnet composition or windings, etc.

I will point out that ALL of the top of the line models have the Classic 57's it seems. Interestingly they are not the most expensive Gibson pickup, but I suspect the most faithful, despite the inconsistencies of the specs from guitars made in the 50's.

I guess what I am not saying very well is that the 339 is a fine piece and I would get one myself when budget and opportunity allow.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 14 2011, 06:02 PM)
I have two friends with 339s and I have played a handful of them. The body is much more accommodating than the full size without giving up any tone. It has that 335 sound. When A-B'd next to my Les Paul Standard through my Fender Deluxe you could really hear the difference between solid and semi hollow in the tone. More pronounced lower mids in the semi hollow.

They and all ES models have the "Classic '57" humbuckers, which are based on the classic PAFs from the 50's. Except for the Lucille models which have 490R and 490T pickups, which are based on the classic PAFs from the 50's. Oh, and the ES 137 has a 490R and a 498T instead of the 490T. The 498T is also based on the classic PAFs from the 50's. Whereas Les Pauls can come with either '57 Classics, the 490 series (including the 98), or the BurstBucker variants (1, 2, 3 and/or Pro) which are all based on PAFs from the 50's. Gibson also makes Ceramic humbuckers, "Dirty Fingers", Angus Young and Tony Iommi model humbuckers which are based on hot rodded/modified versions of PAFs from the 50's. Seriously though the variants on these are fairly subtle, like magnet composition or windings, etc.

I will point out that ALL of the top of the line models have the Classic 57's it seems. Interestingly they are not the most expensive Gibson pickup, but I suspect the most faithful, despite the inconsistencies of the specs from guitars made in the 50's.

I guess what I am not saying very well is that the 339 is a fine piece and I would get one myself when budget and opportunity allow.

Yup, I have the 57+ in my 96 black strat with tx specials, that's a nice combo.

I listed the 1979 marshall on craigslist too (if anyone is interested). It's all original. I'm just more of a mesa guy these days, and so it gets very little use, plus its heavy as all hell. Ha. ;p.

Guitar Center is pushing the new Axcess on their web page. 4 granny is too much for any guitar made before 1962. Period.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 15 2011, 04:06 PM)
Guitar Center is pushing the new Axcess on their web page. 4 granny is too much for any guitar made before 1962. Period.

Agreed. As cool as the Axess is, it's not worth that kind of money. But that's been Gibson's thing lately -- jack the price up on their premium guitars because they think the name alone makes it worth the exorbitant price.

I had a 339 for a while. I loved the small body, loved the tone. For me, the fretboard and the frets were not to my liking. I like an ebony board and I do not like Gibby frets. I refretted my les paul and it is the only one for me now. I do miss the semi-hollow sound. No one does that like Gibby does. I am holding out for either a 355 (non-Alex...I don't do well with vibrato) or a HR fusion.