Rush In The Mail

karkarius

If you ask me, I think R30's setlist and overall performance are MUCH better than S&A. But it's good that you'll get both.

I feel that when Rush decides to put out another live DVD, they should try to avoid songs that have a gazillion different registers live already: TSOR, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Limelight...why not focusing on rarities, odd setlist choices and new songs from now on?

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Aug 3 2010, 09:13 AM)
If you ask me, I think R30's setlist and overall performance are MUCH better than S&A. But it's good that you'll get both.

I feel that when Rush decides to put out another live DVD, they should try to avoid songs that have a gazillion different registers live already: TSOR, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Limelight...why not focusing on rarities, odd setlist choices and new songs from now on?

I agree although I think many fans who haven't seen them live a lot would be disappointed if they didn't do Tom Sawyer and Closer To The Heart. Same with Spirit of Radio. They do have to take those fans into consideration too.

2.gif

Granted, there are a million live versions of TS and TSOR, but these songs are staples. How does a band not play their biggest hits? Not everyone has heard the million different live versions that we have. I guess you could say these are necessary evils.

I think RiR's verasions of TS and TSOR are better than both R30 and S&A Live.

I liked the mix and Ged's bass tone better on Snakes and Arrows Live. Especially on "The Trees"

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Aug 3 2010, 01:22 PM)
I'm not saying they shouldn't play these songs live...I'd hate to see a concert without Tom Sawyer. But it doesn't have to be on EVERY DVD...

I want complete concerts on DVD.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Aug 3 2010, 10:13 AM)

I've been saying that for a while now. Variety.

You could keep ONE of the 4 you mentioned, and the concert would not be disappointing in the least.

I've watched RiR a bunch of times, but so far only seen the first half of S&A live and only skimmed through R30. I know Rio has less-than-perfect sound, but the energy more than makes up for that.

Maybe after the shows I'll sit down and watch the rest of the newer DVDs.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Aug 3 2010, 01:39 PM)
I'm not saying they shouldn't play these songs live...I'd hate to see a concert without Tom Sawyer. But it doesn't have to be on EVERY DVD...

Agreed! Just once, I'd like to have a whole show on DVD from beginning to end, un-edited, and un-interupted. Also, I've always thought it would be cool if the whole thing was filmed from a single stationary camera, positioned to take in the entire stage and light show from a straight-on, centered angle.

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Aug 4 2010, 09:41 PM)

Agreed! Just once, I'd like to have a whole show on DVD from beginning to end, un-edited, and un-interupted. Also, I've always thought it would be cool if the whole thing was filmed from a single stationary camera, positioned to take in the entire stage and light show from a straight-on, centered angle.

You mean like Rush in Rio, R30, and Snakes & Arrows Live? All complete shows, man.

And no. That single camera thing would be hella stupid.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Aug 4 2010, 08:43 PM)

You mean like Rush in Rio, R30, and Snakes & Arrows Live? All complete shows, man.

I'm fairly certain the R30 DVD did not contain the entire setlist, but I could be wrong.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 4 2010, 11:13 PM)

I'm fairly certain the R30 DVD did not contain the entire setlist, but I could be wrong.

yes.gif You are correct! The original version unfortunately contains an abridged version of the concert because they didn't want it to be completely reminiscent of the Rio DVD.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 5 2010, 01:13 AM)

You're right, my apologies. However, the blu ray DOES contain the entire concert, and that is the version I have. That's why I was mistaken.

QUOTE (karkarius @ Aug 3 2010, 08:48 AM)
I just ordered the Snakes & Arrows Live DVD and the R30 dvd. I should be getting them soon. Woohoo!

2.gif

do you have all the others or have you chosen these two for a reason?

both terrific shows but just wondered th1245.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Aug 5 2010, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (karkarius @ Aug 3 2010, 08:48 AM)
I just ordered the Snakes & Arrows Live DVD and the R30 dvd. I should be getting them soon. Woohoo!

2.gif

do you have all the others or have you chosen these two for a reason?

both terrific shows but just wondered th1245.gif

I have the others yes. These are the two I don't have. I might get Replay though since I have those on VHS instead of DVD.

2.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Aug 4 2010, 09:43 PM)

"Hella stupid"? That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Look at it this way; when you go to a live performance, you sit or stand in one general area. If you're in the right spot (dead center), you can take in the entire show all at once, or focus on something in particular at you own discression. You don't have that same kind of control when watching a concert video shot from 17 different angles, edited together, all (or most) mistakes and glitches removed, to suit someone else's vision of how that show should be experienced. Also, I disitnctly remember there being songs missing from the live dvd's mentioned that I'm 100% sure were played at the shows I attended. But then, I still live in the Stone Age, and have yet to up-grade to Blu-Ray...old.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Aug 7 2010, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Aug 4 2010, 09:43 PM)

"Hella stupid"? That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Look at it this way; when you go to a live performance, you sit or stand in one general area. If you're in the right spot (dead center), you can take in the entire show all at once, or focus on something in particular at you own discression. You don't have that same kind of control when watching a concert video shot from 17 different angles, edited together, all (or most) mistakes and glitches removed, to suit someone else's vision of how that show should be experienced. Also, I disitnctly remember there being songs missing from the live dvd's mentioned that I'm 100% sure were played at the shows I attended. But then, I still live in the Stone Age, and have yet to up-grade to Blu-Ray...old.gif

I can see where you are coming from, but I found find it extremely boring to watch a concert DVD from one angle. It is different in a live situation because you are actually there in person, taking in the live experience. However, when you are at home sitting on your couch, it is an entirely different scenario. The DVD needs to keep you entertained, because if you were watching from one angle the whole 3 hours, you get bored quite quickly. At least I would.

And get up and get yourself a blu ray player grandpa! And yes, all those shows I mentioned have the entire concert.

Archived