I can't believe I looked at the setlist :(

This Friday I will be seeing the time machine tour. I told myself I wasn't going to look at the setlist because I wanted to be surprised. I went all this time without looking at the setlist and for some reason I couldn't help myself but to peek. Im not saying it's a bad setlist but I am now pretty mad at myself for looking. Anybody else have that problem?

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 08:07 PM)
This Friday I will be seeing the time machine tour. I told myself I wasn't going to look at the setlist because I wanted to be surprised. I went all this time without looking at the setlist and for some reason I couldn't help myself but to peek. Im not saying it's a bad setlist but I am now pretty mad at myself for looking. Anybody else have that problem?

Have you been reading this forum? I mean, actually reading it?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2010, 08:09 PM)

Yes, I just have been staying away from this part of the forum. I knew about moving pictures, the two new songs, and closer to the heart, but I didn't know the rest of the setlist.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 08:12 PM)

Yes, I just have been staying away from this part of the forum. I knew about moving pictures, the two new songs, and closer to the heart, but I didn't know the rest of the setlist.

There's a lot of ragging on the setlist from certain members. Overall, I found that most fans are open minded to it. There are a lot of defenders.

Like I previously posted, I was totally bummed when I read the setlist. I made a playlist of the songs and it works. Now, I have to experience it in person. I'm looking forward to it.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:19 PM)
Yeah me too. I like the element of surprise at a concert, but yet I also like knowing what song is coming up next.

I always peek at the setlist before any concert, especially Rush shows, because I am one of those Rush fans whose favourite songs are pretty much EVERY song, and wouldn't mind hearing anything they throw at me.

Having said that, when the setlist first was released, I was disappointed, but like I said in previous threads,I didn't know back then that this disappointment stemmed from me finally being relieved of NOT knowing, and now definitely KNOWING (if that makes any sense). There was no more room for speculation, which was what made the whole thing exciting. It was now a confirmation.

What I did was examined the setlist fairly thoroughly, listened to a few songs, but afterwards, left it alone. I find that if you create a playlist of the setlist and listen to it too much, it ruins the full potential enjoyment on show night.

If you're mad about peeking, what I suggest to you is... simply, don't look at it again. Try to forget the songs, and try to forget the order. The more you look at it, the more you will memorize. If you lose track of songs at the concert and are caught off huard with a song you forgot about, it will at least salvage some of the excitement.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 05:12 PM)

Had to look didn't ya? Now, just because you did, there's going to be lighting problems, audio problems, Al's gonna break a string, Neil's gonna break a head and drop sticks, and Ged's gonna forget lyrics!

You HAD to look didn't you? IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!! angry.gif

Looking at the setlist doesn't ruin it for me. It actually gets me really excited about hearing certain songs, if that makes any sense.

I was disappointed when I first saw it, but I'm also glad I looked because I would have been really let down at the show if I had kept on waiting for that big "wish list" song that never came.

When I first saw this setlist, i thought "Damn, this is the worst mock setlist I've seen yet. I really hope this is nowhere close to the actual setlist." Every fake setlist I'd seen was better than this. This setlist has absolutely zero surprises that qualify as "wish list" type songs. Last tour, Entre Nous, Circumstances and Bangkok were all songs I could check off of my imaginary list. This tour, there is only Red Barchetta (I know they've played it a lot, but I've never seen it), and also Vital Signs to a lesser extent, but I already knew about those. I was hoping for a real Time Machine moment or two like Bastille Day or A Farewell to Kings or such.

That said, one thing I like about knowing the setlist is that it gives me a chance to better learn some of the material I'm not as familiar with. There are 8 such songs in this setlist that I am not as familiar with as I am the stuff from Grace Under Pressure and before.

Time Stand Still - I have found that I still don't like this all that much, but Geddy is shredding in that song, and I like some of the lyrics, but no big surprise there. I'm just warming up to it enough to find parts of the song that I will enjoy when I see it live.

Presto - This is about what I remember and should translate well to a live performance. To me, it was one of the last songs they played at that time that made me think they still had a little bit left in the tank. I know a lot of people here don't like it, but at the time it made me wonder if they had a shot at regaining some of the past glory.

Stick It Out - I still don't like this, but at least I know the words now, and the jam at the end does get somewhat aggressive.

Leave That Thing Alone - A decent instrumental. I am basically neutral about this one---I know they need instrumentals now, though, to let Geddy rest his voice.

Faithless - I liked this when I first got S&A, but since they didn't play it last tour, I didn't listen to it as much as some of the others (I listen to S&A Live a lot). I've heard that it hasn't gone over well live, though. If they drop it for something else, I will be fine with that, but I think I'll like it anyway, despite what I've heard.

Marathon - All these years I've gone thinking all of Power Windows was horrible. This is easily the best song on the album, and I really, really like it now. Can't wait to hear it live.

Brought Up to Believe - Love it. The opening riff is going to be badass played live. I've heard the live version is harder and heavier than the studio version, which still rocks.

Caravan - This is really good, too. The lyrics on both of these new songs seem to be getting back to the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures/Signals style. I thought Workin' Them Angels was that type of song, too, and these two definitely continue that trend.

So in the end, I am glad I looked at the setlist. Unless they play several of my favorites in one show (not likely), looking is going to prepare me to have a good experience, if not quite the experience that I have always wanted.

If your a beer drinker at shows,(and I am) its not a bad idea to look at the set list so if you need to take a break for a beer or to pee, you can know at what point you don't mind doing so.

In 2004, I missed 3/4 of Between The Wheels during a bathroom break. I was totally pissed off!

This tour I choose Working Them Angels to take a quick break and it worked out well for me.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jul 22 2010, 01:08 AM)
QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 05:12 PM)

Had to look didn't ya? Now, just because you did, there's going to be lighting problems, audio problems, Al's gonna break a string, Neil's gonna break a head and drop sticks, and Ged's gonna forget lyrics!

You HAD to look didn't you? IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!! angry.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:07 PM)

You are sooooo weak. rage.gif wink.gif

Its that impulse you can't stop yourself from doing. Kind of like all the reactions that will happen to the setlist from others. This is certain, there is not stopping this.

But I envy you for making it this far.

My show is still in 2 more months and I saw the setlist first hand so I wouldn't be shocked and full of conflicting feelings after it ended. Better to prepare yourself before hand, than to deal with all those weird feelings after it ends.