Are there any shows you've been to...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Jul 23 2010, 04:45 PM)
"Blue Collar Man" perhaps?

Styx is a very good act. I miss Dennis DeYoung - but I am a fan of Lawrence Gowan.

Candlebox and MSG were decent Rush openers. Anyone here see Max Webster open for Rush. That would have been killer!!!!!!!!

2.gif

Yeah BCM is what I meant. How did I mix that up? unsure.gif

Yup saw MW open up for 'em and Al and Ged joined them for the encore Battlescar. Pretty cool.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 21 2010, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jul 21 2010, 01:20 AM)
Zebra, I can't remember who they were opening for, I just remember it was @ The Cincinnati Gardens. We drove from Dayton, OH to Cinci in rush hour traffic and ran in as they had just taken the stage.

Ah, good ole Zebra!

I went to a Scorpians show to see King's X open for them.

I saw Zebra open for Sammy Hagar in San Diego, mid to late 80's.

The Red Rocker was good. But I thought Zebra was great. ( The La La Song).

i've never actually gone specifically for the opening band, but i have been to one particular show where the opener turned out to be better. last year i went to see robin trower, and despite he being a guitar whiz on the records, he was just really bad live, not to mention the sound being awful...anyways, the opening act was some local rock band (whose name escapes me) who ended up being awesome. they whipped out doublenecks and closed out their set with a killer rendition of la villa strangiato!

Wnet to Yngwie Malmsteen open up on his first tour for AC|DC. Angus had to resort to mooning the audience to get a response. Malmsteen really blew them away on that tour.

1022.gif

The Other was Zebra opening up for Survivor and REO speedwagon. I went to See REO but Zebra just blew both bands away! REO Kicked Ass though, They always kicked Ass then.

trink39.gif

Yep, and both times it was bands opening for Priest, 27 years apart:

1)Maiden opening for Priest at MSG, Screaming for Vengeance Tour 1982. Maiden was much, much better, IMO...

2)Whitesnake opening for Priest last year. Though here Whitesnake bowed out cause of Coverdale voice issues, and we got Kix instead.

Edited by greg2112

hmmm.

how about alice in chains opening for VH in the early 90's? saw that 3 times...

1022.gif metallica open for Ozzy in '86????????? are you kidding me??????

or: FREAKING PRIMUS opening for RUSH!!! on counterparts??? or Eric Johnson opening for RUsh on roll the bones 3 times??

Down open for Metallica in '09!!

Jerry Cantrell open for metallica in '94 his band played the dark side of the moon...amazing!

kinda cheeting: 95 lolapalooza- saw the ramones and soundgarden play before metallica. or monsters of rock in '88: metallica and the scorpions, then VH (i didn't forget to mention dokken or kingdom come; i just left them out...)

those were some great openers! now, for the not so great!!

worst ever: weedeater 062802puke_prv.gif opening for Down. they were without question, the worst assembly of crap ever to attempt at playing music on a stage...just brutal. the melvins were between them and down, they sucked as well. down kicked all kinds of booty thankfully!

lauren harris open for her dad's band...

i was looking forward to hearing lamb of god open for metallica last year; i heard good things about them- they were weak. a bunch of recycled metal riffs and grooves...

funny to me how so many of the newer metal bands are reaching for the heaviness of Pantera...too bad they will never get there.

I went to see Faith No More when they opened for Billy Idol. 1990. The Charmed Life tour. They rocked but so did Billy Idol. No shit. I can honestly say that Idol put on one of the best shows I've seen. That dude is an entertainer. Faith No More's lead singer, Mike Patton is just as good. That band has so much individual talent, it's sickeneing. Kind of like our boys from Canada.

Far Beyond Driven tour. Pantera. We went to see Sepultura. Again, both bands f***ing rocked. 30 minutes was not nearly enough time for Sepultura, but Pantera put on one hell of a show. IMO, either band could have opened for the other in both cases. Great shows.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 31 2010, 08:31 AM)
hmmm.

how about alice in chains opening for VH in the early 90's? saw that 3 times...

or: FREAKING PRIMUS opening for RUSH!!! on counterparts??? or Eric Johnson opening for RUsh on roll the bones 3 times??

Jerry Cantrell open for metallica in '94 his band played the dark side of the moon...amazing!

kinda cheeting: 95 lolapalooza- saw the ramones and soundgarden play before metallica. or monsters of rock in '88: metallica and the scorpions, then VH (i didn't forget to mention dokken or kingdom come; i just left them out...)

those were some great openers! now, for the not so great!!

worst ever: weedeater 062802puke_prv.gif opening for Down. they were without question, the worst assembly of crap ever to attempt at playing music on a stage...just brutal. the melvins were between them and down, they sucked as well. down kicked all kinds of booty thankfully!

i was looking forward to hearing lamb of god open for metallica last year; i heard good things about them- they were weak. a bunch of recycled metal riffs and grooves...
funny to me how so many of the newer metal bands are reaching for the heaviness of Pantera...too bad they will never get there.

Speaking of System of a Down, what the hell are they doing? Damn, it's been way too long since we've had anything from them.....they kick ass

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 31 2010, 02:26 PM)
hmmm.

how about alice in chains opening for VH in the early 90's?  saw that 3 times...

or:  FREAKING PRIMUS opening for RUSH!!! on counterparts???  or Eric Johnson opening for RUsh on roll the bones 3 times??

Jerry Cantrell open for metallica in '94  his band played the dark side of the moon...amazing!

kinda cheeting: 95 lolapalooza- saw the ramones and soundgarden play before metallica.  or monsters of rock in '88:  metallica and the scorpions, then VH (i didn't forget to mention dokken or kingdom come; i just left them out...)

those were some great openers!  now, for the not so great!!

worst ever:  weedeater 062802puke_prv.gif opening for Down.  they were without question, the worst assembly of crap ever to attempt at playing music on a stage...just brutal.  the melvins were between them and down, they sucked as well.  down kicked all kinds of booty thankfully!

i was looking forward to hearing lamb of god open for metallica last year; i heard good things about them-  they were weak.  a bunch of recycled metal riffs and grooves...

Speaking of System of a Down, what the hell are they doing? Damn, it's been way too long since we've had anything from them.....they kick ass

System Of A Down. They do kick ass. I hated them when they first came out. Don't ask me why. 'Chop Suey' was not a good first impression I guess. I needed to borrow a CD real quick one day and my cousin tossed me 'Hypnotize'. I was blown away. Extremely talented band. Smart and original. Original is an understatement. They have those quadratic equation time signatures that are just crazy. How they come up with those arrangements is beyond me. They're still kind of doing their own thing right now. I heard a few months back from a local rock station that there had been some discussion among them about getting back together, but who knows? I would expect something in the next year or two. They're to good of a band to not do it again. They cranked out a lot of material in a short span. They probably fried their brains.

Have I ever gone to a show just for the opener...? Sure. I really wanted to see Mr. Big back in '92 but they were opening for some ridiculous unknown band... Slush, or Mush or something.

Okay, not really. I hated Mr. Big.

I actually did go to the Scorpions/Crue show years ago just to see Scorps, who were opening.

Funny this question should pop now in my Rock and Roll concert history...

I've never done this, that is up until now.

I just purchased tickets to see King's X open up for Accept at BB Kings in NYC this Septemeber.

Will most likely check out the King's X set and call it a night.

~Cheers, RGLT

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jul 31 2010, 06:23 PM)
I'm going to Uproar Festival but only to see Avenged Sevenfold. Everyone else there sucks, including Disturbed. But 'technically' Avenged Sevenfold are headlining but they still go on before Disturbed.

I'm going to the same show, and I feel the total mirror image of how you feel - that is, I hate Avenged Sevenfold and would just go for Disturbed (who I've already seen live). The other band is Stone Sour, I believe.

Edited by Hemispheres89

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 31 2010, 01:26 PM)
hmmm.

how about alice in chains opening for VH in the early 90's?  saw that 3 times...

or:  FREAKING PRIMUS opening for RUSH!!! on counterparts???  or Eric Johnson opening for RUsh on roll the bones 3 times??

Jerry Cantrell open for metallica in '94  his band played the dark side of the moon...amazing!

kinda cheeting: 95 lolapalooza- saw the ramones and soundgarden play before metallica.  or monsters of rock in '88:  metallica and the scorpions, then VH (i didn't forget to mention dokken or kingdom come; i just left them out...)

those were some great openers!  now, for the not so great!!

worst ever:  weedeater 062802puke_prv.gif opening for Down.  they were without question, the worst assembly of crap ever to attempt at playing music on a stage...just brutal.  the melvins were between them and down, they sucked as well.  down kicked all kinds of booty thankfully!

i was looking forward to hearing lamb of god open for metallica last year; i heard good things about them-  they were weak.  a bunch of recycled metal riffs and grooves...

woah, woah, woah... DOWN not system of a down.

i was refering to REAL heavy metal band...

don't tell me ya'll haven't heard of Down?!?!?!? wtf.gif

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Jul 31 2010, 12:54 PM)
I went to see Faith No More when they opened for Billy Idol. 1990. The Charmed Life tour. They rocked but so did Billy Idol. No shit. I can honestly say that Idol put on one of the best shows I've seen. That dude is an entertainer. Faith No More's lead singer, Mike Patton is just as good. That band has so much individual talent, it's sickeneing. Kind of like our boys from Canada.

Far Beyond Driven tour. Pantera. We went to see Sepultura. Again, both bands f***ing rocked. 30 minutes was not nearly enough time for Sepultura, but Pantera put on one hell of a show. IMO, either band could have opened for the other in both cases. Great shows.

I saw Pantera on that tour. Prong opened for them when I saw them, and there was supposed to be another band, too, but something happened and they didn't play. I think Prong picked up a lot of the slack and played a longer set.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Aug 1 2010, 02:52 AM)

I saw Pantera on that tour. Prong opened for them when I saw them, and there was supposed to be another band, too, but something happened and they didn't play. I think Prong picked up a lot of the slack and played a longer set.

I saw Prong when they opened for White Zombie. They were better than Zombie. Shocker! But not by much.

Where did you see them?

We just went to the CARNIVAL OF MADNESS show on Sunday. We went ONLY to see SEVENDUST, who played second out of five bands.

Shinedown was the headliner - - although I couldn't figure out why! They only had a couple of good numbers - - their older stuff. Most of the show was talk, talk, talk, gab, gab, gab - - - he reminded me of Meatloaf meets Elton John meets Cinderella. Mostly, they played Chick-flixxxxx music schla03.gif .

I kept waiting for the Shinedown drummer to "break-out", but alas, I'm spoiled by the best! I liked Ten Years, Chevelle was ok, Puddle of Mud, not my style.

It was a fun night to spend with friends - - our RUSH shirts and tats attracted a few interesting new friends and conversations!

Oh, and the place was SWARMING with date-chicks! EVERYWHERE!!!! I've never seen so many women at a show! . . . I had to wait in line in the women's room. Geeeeezzzzzzzz! angry.gif rofl3.gif

IMO, SEVENDUST was the much better band!

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Aug 1 2010, 02:57 AM)

I saw Prong when they opened for White Zombie. They were better than Zombie. Shocker! But not by much.

Where did you see them?

The Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis, TN. There were some legendary shows there back in the day.

BTW, Prong was probably as good as Pantera that night.

Edited by amish_ashaman

Where did you see them?

I just realized that you saw Sepultura open for Pantera. Wow.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Aug 5 2010, 01:51 AM)

Where did you see them?

I just realized that you saw Sepultura open for Pantera. Wow.

No doubt. I love Pantera, but Sepultura is who I really wanted to see.

Like I said before, a 30 minute opening set wasn't nearly enough time for them. They were just kicking ass and then it was over. They were promoting Chaos A.D. on that tour. Pantera came out and just rocked. They were so much louder than Sepultura but I'm pretty sure that was on purpose. I guess they didn't want to be "showed up" but that's how it goes when you're an opener. Great show except that I thought I broke my back when I landed on the back of a seat bolted into the concrete. Thank god it was near the end of the show. I couldn't walk upright for two weeks. No shit. The good old days. laugh.gif