Final Album?

Ru5h F@n

Will Clockwork Angels be the final album for Rush?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Will Clockwork Angels be the final album for Rush?

• Yes, I believe so
    • No, I think there will be a few more before retirement
    • Undecided/not sure
    • Don't really care, just keep pumping them out guys

Yep. Another studio album. This is great news! What is your take on the future of Rush? Is this it or more to come? You decide. Please vote and give your comments. I'd like to hear your opinions on this topic. unsure.gif

I think they might use this model in the future -- go tour with a couple of new songs, raking in the bucks while being able to self-finance a release.

I think as long as they remain such a popular live draw with the ability to generate tens of millions of dollars in revenue over a four or five-month period, they will keep releasing new material.

I don't see them ever touring without new material, though, or becoming a Midwestern nostalgia act. There won't be a triple bill of Rush, REO Speedwagon and Styx in the future.

These guys in for the long run... yes.gif and they tell us that 653.gif

You can do a lot in a lifetime

If you don't burn out too fast

You can make the most of the distance

First you need endurance -

First you've got to last...

I see no reason for them to retire. 1287.gif This is their life and like others (BB King 86, John Mayall 76 with his newest TOUGH Released Sept. 15, 2009, and Walter Trout 59) they continue to do what they do. Rush takes time off the road and a way from the studio so they can recharge and not burn out to fast...

John Mayall at 76 and Geddy is not even gray yet....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/John_Mayall_1.jpg/250px-John_Mayall_1.jpg

That means we get 20 more years of 2.gif

At 56 to 59 we just puppys.... z7shysterical.gif

2 more albums and maybe they will retire in 2017 or something like that lol. They would be about 64 or 65 when that time came.

I'm getting a feeling that Clockwork Angels may be either their last or second to last. I mean, they're not getting any younger. Maybe they'll have an R40 tour and then retire? I could live with that biggrin.gif

I said before it was anounced they may tour again next year that I thought this might be end of it for them. The sad thing is I got that feeling even more after watching the BTLS doc. I honestly see them going their seperate ways and just 'meh', i don't need to do this anymore. I think they're getting tired of each other.

They're all pushing close to 60 and although they could go on more, why? They have plenty of cash I'm sure. I can't see the NEED to perform or record. At 60 I'd be tired of the touring.

I see them doing the Caravan tour, a one to two year break and then maybe one last tour of a bunch of Hard Rocks or something. Depends on Caravan's success though. I mean if Caravan (the album) actually got some airplay, it is a great song, I think they might get bouyed by that and possibly try one more record.

These guys really are one of a kind and I don't see them doing the "farewell tour" gig. They'll jsut announce they've thrown in the towell. I will cry that day. fists crying.gif

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 05:45 PM)
I don't see them ever touring without new material, though, or becoming a Midwestern nostalgia act. There won't be a triple bill of Rush, REO Speedwagon and Styx in the future.

That said, if there ever was an Rush, REO and Styx show, I'd be there in about 5 tenths of a second. Awesome line up that would be.

REO also released an album fairly recently. It's pretty good for low key acoustic rock kind of stuff. I really feel a few songs off it.

My answer is unsure. I think there may be a point where they retire from touring, but continue to make music.

I didn't that they were "tired of each other" at all from the documentary.

Alex and Geddy are still fairly inseparable. That kind of friendship is pretty rare, and I'm sure they will still hang out after Rush hangs it up.

However, I could see Neil never talking to the other two again after they retire.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 06:23 PM)

However, I could see Neil never talking to the other two again after they retire.

They're all friends. I don't think you understand the dynamic of a 40 year old band if you're making a statement like that. Neil may be put-off-ish to the outside world, but he seems to be as much a part of "one of the boys" as the other two now. They're friends, and they all are friends away form the band. Everything I've read/seen on Neil, his books, documentaries, etc. etc. paints him as a guy with a close circle of friends, and Alex and Geddy are part of that close circle.

Such is my opinion. Their personal lives are still none of my business, and it feels almost awkward to talk about them away from the band like that... but I just don't get that feeling with Neil at all.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 18 2010, 06:26 PM)

They're all friends. I don't think you understand the dynamic of a 40 year old band if you're making a statement like that. Neil may be put-off-ish to the outside world, but he seems to be as much a part of "one of the boys" as the other two now. They're friends, and they all are friends away form the band. Everything I've read/seen on Neil, his books, documentaries, etc. etc. paints him as a guy with a close circle of friends, and Alex and Geddy are part of that close circle.

Such is my opinion. Their personal lives are still none of my business, and it feels almost awkward to talk about them away from the band like that... but I just don't get that feeling with Neil at all.

It was a joke.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 18 2010, 06:26 PM)

It was a joke.

oh.

*looks around awkwardly*

My bad.

I still think they got a couple more albums left in them. There are bands around who are older who are still doing it. As long as they stay healthy and have the drive to keep playing there's no reason to believe that Rush won't still be recording new material and touring for several more years.

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Jul 18 2010, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jul 18 2010, 05:18 PM)
They'll jsut announce they've thrown in the towell. I will cry that day. fists crying.gif

When that day happens, the world will be a different place........

More like the end of the world. When the Mayans predicted the apocalypse, they knew when they will retire and hopefully it's not for a long time.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 18 2010, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 05:45 PM)

That said, if there ever was an Rush, REO and Styx show, I'd be there in about 5 tenths of a second. Awesome line up that would be.

REO also released an album fairly recently. It's pretty good for low key acoustic rock kind of stuff. I really feel a few songs off it.

My answer is unsure. I think there may be a point where they retire from touring, but continue to make music.

Ha!

I would go, too.

My gut feeling is that after The Clockwork Angels Album/Tour they'll put out one more Final Studio album.... ( actually 1 studio, 1 live and 1- 3 disc archival best of/lost recordings/hidden jams ) and a Final Farewell World Tour in 2014. ( Forty year anniversary)

From the present date, that would be 2 more studio albums, 2 more live albums and 1 final archival best of album.... And 2 1/2 tours....

RUSH can then retire and still have some energy for their families and possible solo or collaboration projects.

Then in 2016...The Reunion... okay, I got a little ahead of myself.

But, realistically, I don't think I am too far off on my predictions.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 06:45 PM)
I think they might use this model in the future -- go tour with a couple of new songs, raking in the bucks while being able to self-finance a release.

I think as long as they remain such a popular live draw with the ability to generate tens of millions of dollars in revenue over a four or five-month period, they will keep releasing new material.

And I am glad of that. Not a knock on the other two bands, though.

Also not to say that if they did tour with no new material that I wouldn't buy a ticket!

I just don't think they themselves are ready to hang it up. A lot can happen in the 2 or so years they now allow themselves between albums, so who knows?

I think the bottom line here isn't so much about creativity but about the live performance and playing to the incredibly high standards they have set for themselves. I do think this might be the last studio album we see and I hope I am wrong.

Why? It's all about Neil at this point. He has a baby girl and he will be nearing 60 soon. I'm a huge fan of the band and Neil personally and I just cannot see him spending time away from home when his little girl starts becoming independent (those of you with children know what I'm talking about). Couple that with the fact he simply will be unable to perform at the level he is accustomed too and well, they won't release new material and not tour to support it.

Ged and Alex don't have those young family issues and they aren't required to exert such immense physical demands as Neil, so it really all boils down to him as it has in the past.

I read Alex once said he doubts they would ever announce their retirement or a farewell tour, but I hope this is not the case. For years I have always secretly wished when the time does come, they will announce one last tour and cap their incredible career with a week or more of sold out shows at Massey Hall.

And of course a blow your mind DVD of those shows, since they MUST have at least one live show recorded for posterity where it all began here in Toronto.

In the interview that are featured recently in the Rush.com news section, Geddy and Alex sound like they aren't finished yet. Geddy is looking forward to a symphony included performance. So at least a few tours and albums left. They aren't too old yet, they've still got some Rock-it sauce left in 'em. tongue.gif

Archived