2nd Chicago show canceled

tcbroonsie

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jul 8 2010, 08:34 AM)
This is one of several reasons why I HATE outdoor venues! I wonder why they choose outdoor venues over indoor.

Two words; "air conditioning"...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mavman @ Jul 8 2010, 03:04 PM)
Looking at 9/11 Rosemont Horizon for the rescheduled date.

I don't think I have seen Rush at the Horizon since Counterparts. I think that was the tour where Primus opened for them.

They Havent played there since the Counterparts tour. I hae a hard time believing this. First Midwest Bank Amphitheater is open, why wouldnt they play it there. If it is at Rosemont, I will be F-ing Pissed, we paid $195 a piece for section 103 row M. How in the hell would the do the ticket exchange.

I also am not a fan of the outdoor venue. While I've been to several good concerts outdoors, I'll always prefer seeing bands in an indoor environment. I'm happy Rush chose to come back to the Mohegan Sun Arena as it is such a great venue to see a band in - it's so small compared to most arena venues and as such there are very few if any bad seats; the sound is quite good as well.

I really hope the show gets rescheduled for those that missed out and also hope that those with some of the great seats mentioned get similar seating choices.

QUOTE (Jind @ Jul 8 2010, 05:42 PM)
I also am not a fan of the outdoor venue. While I've been to several good concerts outdoors, I'll always prefer seeing bands in an indoor environment. I'm happy Rush chose to come back to the Mohegan Sun Arena as it is such a great venue to see a band in - it's so small compared to most arena venues and as such there are very few if any bad seats; the sound is quite good as well.

I really hope the show gets rescheduled for those that missed out and also hope that those with some of the great seats mentioned get similar seating choices.

Yeah, Im glad to be seeing them in an indoor mini-arena. Every seat has good views of the stage. Plus you get to hit the slots before and after the show laugh.gif

I'll say this for the Chicago crowd; they took the bad news pretty well...Obviously it was disappointing for all, but as far as I know, no shit happened... 1022.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jul 8 2010, 05:23 PM)
I'll say this for the Chicago crowd; they took the bad news pretty well...Obviously it was disappointing for all, but as far as I know, no shit happened... 1022.gif

Except a 10 year old girl cried....

According to who??

And if so, what happens to our tickets??

Like my 30th row center and 1st row in front of Geddy Lee seats??

This is exactly why I chose the ACC instead of the Molson Amphitheatre when the Toronto dates were announced. I've seen them twice down by the lake; TFE tour was beauty night and S&A was decent but the sound was a bit flaky.

You really are at the mercy of the weather for outdoor shows obviously and if its nice out, there's nothing that beats it provided you get a decent sound mix depending on where you are sitting.

Rush are an arena band imho... always have been and always will be. Stage lighting is perfect, sound more consistent, no wind or weather to delay or postpone the show.

Sorry those of you you missed this Chicago gig, but you know the boys will return when the schedule permits, unless too many people ask for refunds and they cancel it outright (highly doubtful).

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 8 2010, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jul 8 2010, 05:23 PM)
Except a 10 year old girl cried....

She'll get many more chances... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif

Edited by CygXanTor

QUOTE (ByTor2112 @ Jul 8 2010, 06:42 PM)
This is exactly why I chose the ACC instead of the Molson Amphitheatre when the Toronto dates were announced. I've seen them twice down by the lake; TFE tour was beauty night and S&A was decent but the sound was a bit flaky.

You really are at the mercy of the weather for outdoor shows obviously and if its nice out, there's nothing that beats it provided you get a decent sound mix depending on where you are sitting.

Rush are an arena band imho... always have been and always will be. Stage lighting is perfect, sound more consistent, no wind or weather to delay or postpone the show.

Sorry those of you you missed this Chicago gig, but you know the boys will return when the schedule permits, unless too many people ask for refunds and they cancel it outright (highly doubtful).

Well, I don't know whether to take you seriously or not. For one, they didn't play Molson on the T4E Tour, and secondly, the night they played there for S&A was gorgeous.

I just got home and saw that date posted (rumor?) as well. Rescheduled concert at Allstate Arena 9/11/10....though it's not on the Rush website news yet.... huh.gif

Here is a news clip on Monday's concert:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=n...ocal&id=7538678

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 8 2010, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (ByTor2112 @ Jul 8 2010, 06:42 PM)
This is exactly why I chose the ACC instead of the Molson Amphitheatre when the Toronto dates were announced.  I've seen them twice down by the lake; TFE tour was beauty night and S&A was decent but the sound was a bit flaky. 

Rush are an arena band imho... always have been and always will be.  Stage lighting is perfect, sound more consistent, no wind or weather to delay or postpone the show. 

Well, I don't know whether to take you seriously or not. For one, they didn't play Molson on the T4E Tour, and secondly, the night they played there for S&A was gorgeous.

So my memories of the TFE concert and my ticket stub don't exist, is that right Cygnus?

You are an idiot, do some simple research next time before discrediting yourself.

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jul 8 2010, 06:23 PM)

There was one guy who was yelling pretty loud as he made his way from middle 200 seat area, down past the stage, cursing and 'calling out the band'. He walked right by me and he was STEAMED.

I also saw a pair of guys get into a pretty heated argument - one guy thought it was the band's fault, and was ripping on them pretty hard. The other guy was sticking up for the band and was being pretty well-mannered.

I get the frustration - I certainly was. But the band doesn't control the weather, and I would suppose that they are somewhat at the mercy of the venue when it comes to insurance, contracts, etc.

But yes, overall, the general feel was simple disappointment. No rioting or chucking stuff on stage. There was even a huge crowd of folks crowding row 1 trying to get pics when the crew was disassembling the set.

Edited by DetachedandSubdivided

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jul 8 2010, 06:23 PM)

We saw security run past us outside the gates to stop a guy stealing a chair! fing.gif

He was tugging the chair back from security saying it was his and that he was taking it back to his car. The chair clearly had Charter One printed on it. cool10.gif

For those of you who don't live in the Chicago area, Northerly Island used to be an airport for God's sake until Mayor Daley had it destroyed in 2003 in the middle of the night using dozers, pointing to his 'fear of terrorist attacks.' A big deal for those who screamed abuse of power.

So, the land was made into a park and the stage area was added as a part of it. It sucks, no doubt. No cover, no real seats, it's just basically a parking lot sort of look with some zip tied seats.

The problem is, Chicago doesn't really have a really good outdoor venue sound wise anymore. There's Ravinia up north, which is the classical crowd place (Rush could never play there). Then there's the World Music, ummm, Tweeter Center, ummmm, First Midwest Bank Amphitheater. A HUGE shed that has (at least the many times I've been there) TERRIBLE sound. There is Alpine Valley up north in WI, but ever since SRV died there, it's kind of out of favor. Plus it's all back roads to get there and a bitch to park close.

And that's it. The rest are sporting venues (Toyota Park - soccer stadium; Wrigley Field - Cubs; Soldier Field - Bears) and that's really it.

The best place the area used to have was in Hoffman Estates called Poplar Creek. A great outdoor place to see a show.

I was quite surprised to see Rush at Northerly. Would have at least thought the Sears Centre (indoor - 11.8K seats).

Oh well, moving to Denver next month. Getting my Red Rocks tics soon!

it was so wet and sticky ,and their was another front coming. the equipment was soaked ,so the effects might not have worked.saw them at summerfest last sat. 2nd set was great when it got dark and the lights took effect they will be back september 11 ,2010 on a sat. nite to blow me away again ,saw them at oakbrook twin ice forum in 74 .steppenwolf,canned heat and rush .came early and was leaning on the stage when this band rush came out ,wit drummer ruts,played 1st album and blew meaway,saw them soon after at fremd high school in palatine,il backing up kiss paid 4 bucks and watched from the gym stage rush come out with neil and play fly by night stuff and kiss come out and play hotter than hell stuff never forget

Its funny that you guys are still calling the Allstate Arena the Rosemont Horizon :-) Thats what I call it...the good ole Rosemont Horizon. Saw my first show there for Roll The Bones.

And Fitz, did you happen to catch Rush at The Forum on Rand/Euclid back then? My dad took my Mom to that show just before they got married. I think Kansas played there too.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 8 2010, 06:37 PM)

According to who??

And if so, what happens to our tickets??

Like my 30th row center and 1st row in front of Geddy Lee seats??

According to "people in the know" that I know. Hopefully it comes to fruition as I would love to see them there. I am not a huge fan of Northerly Island, and as huge of a Rush fan as I am, I decided to see them in another city rather than these two shows. I heard both nights the streets "buckled" from the heat on LSD which caused huge problems.

I'm sorry to say you're out of luck with your seats. You'll be getting a refund and that's about it.

As bad as that sounds, I had 5 friends make the show that paid $50 each for some comp tickets a guy was selling. They will not recoup a penny of it.

Can't wait for September if it is true.

Cheers to all,

Mav

QUOTE (BIAS2112 @ Jul 9 2010, 02:35 AM)
Its funny that you guys are still calling the Allstate Arena the Rosemont Horizon :-) Thats what I call it...the good ole Rosemont Horizon. Saw my first show there for Roll The Bones.

And Fitz, did you happen to catch Rush at The Forum on Rand/Euclid back then? My dad took my Mom to that show just before they got married. I think Kansas played there too.

Check out this ticket/photo. Probably from the same tour:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3354/105/51/1318719748/n1318719748_30402486_3487369.jpg

2.gif

Edited by NeilBeart

All right! I'm new to this forum, and started checking it after the show Weds was cancelled. My account was just approved and I can finally post!

That being said, please don't take anything I'm going to say as truth, or definitive, it's just IMHO. Tho, after reading a bunch of the posts here, I have to say this...

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY!?!?!

Admittedly, I've only seen Rush 4 times (Starting with the Presto Tour at Alpine Valley when NRBQ opened)

Then I saw them a few times at Rosemont Horizon (It will ALWAYS be the Rosemont Horizon to me)

The best of those shows was the Counterparts tour, when a friends of mine got me a 3rd row seat, and I could basically get a sunburn from the flames shooting out of the bolts on stage.

That being said, I'd MUCH rather see them play at an outdoor arena. I know, Chicago has lost it's BEST outdoor arena, Poplar Creek, as someone mentioned. The World in Tinley Pk SUCKS. I'd rather make the drive up to Alpine Valley to see them.

If you have a close ticket at Allstate or Horizon, the show sounds great, anything towards the back or anywhere in the mezzanine / balcony at those venues suck due to the acoustics.

I've been to Charter One twice, and have loved it both times. (This would have been the third show there.) The backdrop of the city or lake is gorgeous, the sound is great, and there isn't a bad seat in the place.

In 25 years of seeing shows, this was the FIRST time I've ever seen a show cancelled due to weather, and I have to say, the rain didn't seem that bad. I will give Charter One a ding on not having ample coverage on the stage that caused the water to gather and short out equipment, that is lame, but I can't fault the band and or venue for calling off the show.

I sat in the rain for an hour with my nephew (his first Rush show) and of course we were disappointed, but that's life.

Also, as far as the rumor about the 9/11 show at Horizon, I'll believe it when I see it. I sent a tweet out tot the WLUP twitter account yesterday after I read it here, and they said they had been in contact with livenation, and no decisions were made yet. Not saying it's not true, just saying, I'll believe it when it's official.

Anyways.... I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, I just don't understand the love for seeing them in an indoor arena.

I'm 90% sure that I read an Interview with Geddy where he stated he hated struggling with acoustics at indoor arenas, and I"m 100% sure that I read an interview where his ideal concept of a concert was that everyone would put on headphones, and listen to the mixed live feed thru them.

Rock on everyone, hope to see you at the rescheduled show!

Johnny 1022.gif

I too am a first time poster as a result of Wednesday nights show.

While I was upset to see it cancelled, in the back of my head I kept thinking, they are 30-40 min behind schedule, there is no way they can pull off the full 2 sets they have been doing and make it in under city curfew laws for concerts. (I'm pretty sure its 11)

The reschedule date I heard from a ticket broker aquintance of mine was Sunday the 12th, at the worst venue I could think of that makes no sense...the UIC Pavilion?!?!?! Again hoping thats not true.

Disney on Ice is at the UC the 8-12th cancelling that out.

I'm surprised noone else has considered back at Charter One or Tinley on Aug 28th. With shows in MN and Columbus on the 27th and 29th respectively it makes the most logistical sense as far as tour routing goes vs trucking everything to and from the east for 1 night in September. It would mean 3 shows in a row, but if any band could pull it off it would be Rush!

I had amazing seats for Wednesday and would hate to loose them as a result of a new venue/exhange.