Bands That Deliver

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Genesis deserves a nod here. They were a great live band. Sadly, I only got to see them on their 2007 reunion tour but it was a fantastic show and they proved they can still go and their songs are just as powerful as ever.

Live videos I have seen of them from the past (70's, 80's, and early 90's) prove this as well.

For me, it's Rush, Iron Maiden (w/Bruce), Judas Priest (w/Rob), for certain. My three favorite vocalists, and they always give it 110% every concert I've seen them in.

Alice Cooper is also always a good show, as he goes way back in a time-machine of his own, at least each tour I've seen him on.

In the past few years, a few of my other favorite prog bands (Kamelot and Symphony X), have really opened my eyes live. Their crowds are only a fraction the size of the 'big boys', but they give every ounce of energy they can, and journey through their past pretty regularly (at least the shows I've seen).

I do think that people take different things away from a live performance, based on their attachment to the band. For example, I've seen AC/DC live just once - and while it was an 'ok' concert, I wouldn't put it up there with my favorites. But there are folks who would definitely put them at the top of their lists - thanks to their attachment to the band and their music.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jul 2 2010, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (amylovesrush @ Jul 2 2010, 02:50 AM)
Muse are already there IMO - consistently excellent live - a trio; thinking man's lyrics; and excellent musicians.  Sound familiar?  wink.gif

Primus? tongue.gif

The time I saw Primus (in '91 at the old 9:30 Club in DC), they sounded great, but the setlist didn't deliver (which is actually the main topic of this thread).

They only had 2 albums at the time, so I expected to hear certain stuff (like John the Fisherman), but it just wasn't there.

I think the only bands that truly able to please every single one of their fans with their setlists are The Cure, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and I guess if you're a fan Springsteen. No band, NO BAND does a set list like Pearl Jam. The Cure definitely give it their all too with stacked three hour set lists the entire tour. Pavement, if you're a fan, have had some AMAZING set lists on this reunion tour. Just a few examples. Pearl Jam set lists (this was 2 of 4 shows they played at the Spectrum arena). They truly give their fans their moneys worth.

10/30/09:

* Gonna See My Friend

* The Fixer

* In My Tree

* Given To Fly

* Tremor Christ

* Untitled

* MFC

* Hold On

* Unthought Known

* In Hiding

* Deep

* Habit

* Cropduster

* Off He Goes

* Force of Nature

* Present Tense

* Got Some

* Do The Evolution

Encore 1

* Just Breathe

* Parting Ways

* Jeremy

* Breath

* Light Years

* Rearviewmirror

Encore 2

* Whipping

* Crazy Mary

* Footsteps

* Once

* Alive

* Sonic Reducer

* Baba O'Riley

10/31/09

* Why Go

* Last Exit

* Corduroy

* Severed Hand

* The Fixer

* Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

* You Are

* Amongst The Waves

* Even Flow

* Pilate

* Unthought Known

* Daughter / Another Brick In The Wall

* Johnny Guitar

* Rats

* I'm Open

* I Got Id

* Glorified G

* Out of My Mind

* Black

* Insignificance

* Life Wasted

Encore 1

* Just Breathe

* The End

* Low Light

* Speed of Sound

* Jeremy

* Inside Job

* Bugs

* Spin The Black Circle

* Porch

Encore 2

* Whip It

* Got Some

* Crown Of Thorns

* Satan's Bed

* Sweet Lew

* Do The Evolution

* Better Man / Save it for Later

* Smile

* Alive

* Rockin' In The Free World

* Yellow Ledbetter

Edited by theworkingman

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 2 2010, 07:44 AM)
Steely Dan.

Seconded. Absolutely.

Except for the one song on each tour that Becker sings. Not so good.

Last time I went, they did the entire Aja album start to finish, note for note. Incredible.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 06:53 AM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 2 2010, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 08:37 AM)
Ive seen many bands, and to me the best live band ive ever seen, and their name is very fitting too, is LIVE. They are very adventurous with their setlists, and they just had so much energy live, such a tight band, although they just broke up, so that's over with now. =(

Love them and I have seen them 8 times. They were one of the very best no question.

too bad the band broke up. But that writing was on the wall after Birds of Prey. Clearly the music went in a more short and pop direction with Ed writing everything top to bottom and the rest of the band clearly not having really any input or influence.

The Distance to Here is their Moving Pictures.

Oh yeah, once Ed was doing all the writing they really lost their edge. Plus as he was getting older he started suffering from the same thing geddy did, loss of range and control.

And yeah, distance is their MP.

used to love that band, but their albums too quickly started to suck, and unfortunately Ed turned out to be a giant Choad.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jul 2 2010, 10:48 AM)
I think the only bands that truly able to please every single one of their fans with their setlists are The Cure, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and I guess if you're a fan Springsteen. No band, NO BAND does a set list like Pearl Jam. The Cure definitely give it their all too with stacked three hour set lists the entire tour. Pavement, if you're a fan, have had some AMAZING set lists on this reunion tour. Just a few examples. Pearl Jam set lists (this was 2 of 4 shows they played at the Spectrum arena). They truly give their fans their moneys worth.

10/30/09:

* Gonna See My Friend
* The Fixer
* In My Tree
* Given To Fly
* Tremor Christ
* Untitled
* MFC
* Hold On
* Unthought Known
* In Hiding
* Deep
* Habit
* Cropduster
* Off He Goes
* Force of Nature
* Present Tense
* Got Some
* Do The Evolution

Encore 1

* Just Breathe
* Parting Ways
* Jeremy
* Breath
* Light Years
* Rearviewmirror

Encore 2

* Whipping
* Crazy Mary
* Footsteps
* Once
* Alive
* Sonic Reducer
* Baba O'Riley

10/31/09

* Why Go
* Last Exit
* Corduroy
* Severed Hand
* The Fixer
* You Are
* Amongst The Waves
* Even Flow
* Pilate
* Unthought Known
* Johnny Guitar
* Rats
* I'm Open
* I Got Id
* Glorified G
* Out of My Mind
* Black
* Insignificance
* Life Wasted

Encore 1

* Just Breathe
* The End
* Low Light
* Speed of Sound
* Jeremy
* Inside Job
* Bugs
* Spin The Black Circle
* Porch

Encore 2

* Whip It
* Got Some
* Crown Of Thorns
* Satan's Bed
* Sweet Lew
* Do The Evolution
* Smile
* Alive
* Yellow Ledbetter

cant go wrong with PJ 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 2 2010, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jul 2 2010, 10:48 AM)
I think the only bands that truly able to please every single one of their fans with their setlists are The Cure, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and I guess if you're a fan Springsteen.  No band, NO BAND does a set list like Pearl Jam.  The Cure definitely give it their all too with stacked three hour set lists the entire tour.  Pavement, if you're a fan, have had some AMAZING set lists on this reunion tour.  Just a few examples. Pearl Jam set lists (this was 2 of 4 shows they played at the Spectrum arena). They truly give their fans their moneys worth.

10/30/09:

* Gonna See My Friend
    * The Fixer
    * In My Tree
    * Given To Fly
    * Tremor Christ
    * Untitled
    * MFC
    * Hold On
    * Unthought Known
    * In Hiding
    * Deep
    * Habit
    * Cropduster
    * Off He Goes
    * Force of Nature
    * Present Tense
    * Got Some
    * Do The Evolution

Encore 1

* Just Breathe
    * Parting Ways
    * Jeremy
    * Breath
    * Light Years
    * Rearviewmirror

Encore 2

* Whipping
    * Crazy Mary
    * Footsteps
    * Once
    * Alive
    * Sonic Reducer
    * Baba O'Riley

10/31/09

* Why Go
    * Last Exit
    * Corduroy
    * Severed Hand
    * The Fixer
    * You Are
    * Amongst The Waves
    * Even Flow
    * Pilate
    * Unthought Known
    * Johnny Guitar
    * Rats
    * I'm Open
    * I Got Id
    * Glorified G
    * Out of My Mind
    * Black
    * Insignificance
    * Life Wasted

Encore 1

* Just Breathe
    * The End
    * Low Light
    * Speed of Sound
    * Jeremy
    * Inside Job
    * Bugs
    * Spin The Black Circle
    * Porch

Encore 2

* Whip It
    * Got Some
    * Crown Of Thorns
    * Satan's Bed
    * Sweet Lew
    * Do The Evolution
    * Smile
    * Alive
    * Yellow Ledbetter

cant go wrong with PJ 1022.gif

That's awesome they played Sweet Lew.

I loved Pearl Jams first 2 albums.

The third one is much better live no question.

No Code - good album

Yield - good album

Then the bottom had fallen out IMO.

I know they give great shows I had the pleasure of seeing them at the Cameo Theatre in 1991 for the Ten tour. What a special treat that was in an old movie theater.

I saw them for the No Code tour and that setlist was insane and an amazing show. I then saw them fore the Yield tour and again was blown away.

Then Binaurl came out. Man that album sucked the big one and I went to the show anyway because I loved them live.

I walked out. They were really bad that night.

They have not gotten me back since and that is due to the low quality of their last 4 albums. Really way below the standard they set with their first 2 albums. Way below IMO.

Good band no question. But their best music has been in the rearview mirror for quite some time now.

Hard cores will disagree but that's the way I hear it. Also Ten was their best never to be outdone. That is tough when your debut overshadows the rest of your catalog. But what a debut it was.

Edited by Todem

Heres another amazing set list (recent also but definitely one of their best...ever.)

* Release

* Last Exit

* Got Some

* Why Go

* In My Tree

* Unthought Known

* Even Flow

* Supersonic

* Down

* Daughter / W.M.A. / Blitzkrieg Bop

* Goin' Back To Indiana

* Rats

* Wishlist

* Insignificance

* Force of Nature

* Jeremy

* The Fixer

Encore 1

* Just Breathe

* Off He Goes

* Given To Fly

* Lukin

* Better Man

* Do The Evolution

Encore 2

* Garden

* Whipping

* Alive

* Baba O'Riley

* Yellow Ledbetter

I saw Judas Priest on the 30th British Steel Anniversary tour and that setlist was AWESOME. All of British Steel, You Got Another Thing Comin, Victim of Changes, Rock Hard Ride Free, Prophecy & others. Great variety and I was not expecting Victim of Changes, that was pretty much the greatest moment of last year when they kicked into that 1022.gif

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jul 2 2010, 03:48 AM)
QUOTE (Faithless Mover @ Jul 2 2010, 02:05 AM)
IMO the only active acts that measure up to the greats (Rush, Pink Floyd, The Who, Queen) are Springsteen, Tool, Peter Gabriel & Fleetwood Mac. They consistently bring it live. Kings of Leon and Muse are getting better and better but don't have the catalog just yet, but it won't be long. Gary Moore, U2, Metallica, Queensryche, Van Halen, Prince, Bob Dylan & Iron Maiden are capable of amazing shows but are too inconsistent in my experience.

Leonard Cohen was amazing last year.

Never got to see Zeppelin, The Doors, The Clash, The Band or classic Yes. Born too late. If only I had a real time machine. Some people would change history. I would go to concerts.

I used to like Kings of Leon until they changed their whole sound. I really liked some of the stuff on Youth and Young Manhood, and I liked the direction they were going. By the third album, I thought they had really refined their sound and then they changed it.

I agree on the consistency issues with Bob Dylan. I've seen him twice. Once he was fantastic and played some of his best material (Desolation Row!!!) and the next time he stunk.

I've said in other threads, nobody digs as deep into their own catalog as well as everybody else' as Phish. The whole catalog is in play every night. You never know what they will play next, whether original or a cover. Highway to Hell, Purple Rain, Freebird, Sabotage (Beastie Boys), Good Times Bad Times, Walk Away, Tubthumping, whatever. I've never seen them live, though, so I can't say that they really bring it every night, but I've heard that the recent shows have been good. Part of me doesn't want to see them, because they are really hit or miss. The trouble with a band digging so deep is that if you don't like all of their stuff, there is a good chance you'll hear a bunch of stuff you don't like all that much. I would need to be able to see them 5-6 times in a row before I would really be wanting to see them. Does that make any sense?

Dude! GO SEE PHISH!!! They are BACK and nearing the top form that made many declare them to be "the most important band of the 90s." They might be hit or miss, but even their "miss" shows are better than almost any other bands' shows. And when they bring the heat, they can't be beat. Rush is my all-time favorite band, but one Rush show per tour is enough for me these days, while I still try to make a few Phish shows per tour. Phish is a lot like combining the Grateful Dead with Rush...if that makes sense.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 2 2010, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 06:53 AM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 2 2010, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 08:37 AM)
Ive seen many bands, and to me the best live band ive ever seen, and their name is very fitting too, is LIVE. They are very adventurous with their setlists, and they just had so much energy live, such a tight band, although they just broke up, so that's over with now. =(

Love them and I have seen them 8 times. They were one of the very best no question.

too bad the band broke up. But that writing was on the wall after Birds of Prey. Clearly the music went in a more short and pop direction with Ed writing everything top to bottom and the rest of the band clearly not having really any input or influence.

The Distance to Here is their Moving Pictures.

Oh yeah, once Ed was doing all the writing they really lost their edge. Plus as he was getting older he started suffering from the same thing geddy did, loss of range and control.

And yeah, distance is their MP.

used to love that band, but their albums too quickly started to suck, and unfortunately Ed turned out to be a giant Choad.

This is unfortunate to hear. I really dug Live when the 4 Songs EP came out and I had hopes that they would carry on the torch from Rush one day. But after Samadhi came out I gave up on them and didn't really listen to them anymore. Looks like I gave up one album too soon. I'll definitely be checking out The Distance to Here.

!!!!!!!DEVO!!!!!!!!

*Note*

Move thread to MOTS please.

Have a nice day.

QUOTE (Faithless Mover @ Jul 2 2010, 02:05 AM)
IMO the only active acts that measure up to the greats (Rush, Pink Floyd, The Who, Queen) are Springsteen, Tool, Peter Gabriel & Fleetwood Mac. They consistently bring it live. Kings of Leon and Muse are getting better and better but don't have the catalog just yet, but it won't be long. Gary Moore, U2, Metallica, Queensryche, Van Halen, Prince, Bob Dylan & Iron Maiden are capable of amazing shows but are too inconsistent in my experience.

Leonard Cohen was amazing last year.

Never got to see Zeppelin, The Doors, The Clash, The Band or classic Yes. Born too late. If only I had a real time machine. Some people would change history. I would go to concerts.

I'm with you 100% 1022.gif

Muse is one incredible band. They give their moneys worth and always plays deep into their catalog which goes back to 1998.

The Police were sweet too. Best three live bands I have seen in order.

Rush

Muse

Incubus

Not sure if this thread title is appropriate as most comments have been around which bands play a diversified setlist. The way I personally interpret the thread to mean is which bands deliver a consistent and impressive concert. My votes would go for KISS, Rush, Aerosmith, Queens of the Stone Age, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Heaven and Hell and Tool. I've seen hundreds of shows and these bands tend to bring it everytime.