2112 to be in new Guitar Hero?

ofsalesmen

I was reading a Fark thread on the setlist for the new Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. Apparently 2112 is rumored to be one of the songs in the game!

After some searching, I came upon this: Rush's 2112 Coming to GH: Warriors of Rock

I can't imagine playing all of 2112 at once. My hands might fall off. But this would be extremely cool.

Since Rush supports Activision and Harmonix using their music, this is very much in the realm of possibility. But one continuous track? Then again, in Beatles Rock Band, you can play the B-side portion of Abbey Road as one continuous song...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Rock Band DLC release!

QUOTE (ofsalesmen @ Jul 1 2010, 04:54 PM)
Since Rush supports Activision and Harmonix using their music, this is very much in the realm of possibility. But one continuous track? Then again, in Beatles Rock Band, you can play the B-side portion of Abbey Road as one continuous song...

Ya that's a long side... I've done it and by the end Im like... UGH.... ENOUGH!!!!!

If only Rock Band got 2112 in full. I've spent too much on the Rock Band series to convert to the Guitar Hero one, and I'm not about to spend $60 for one song. At least RB 3 might be getting a Rush tune anyway, especially with the inclusion of keyboards. 653.gif

QUOTE (Synth Sense @ Jul 1 2010, 08:50 PM)
If only Rock Band got 2112 in full. I've spent too much on the Rock Band series to convert to the Guitar Hero one, and I'm not about to spend $60 for one song. At least RB 3 might be getting a Rush tune anyway, especially with the inclusion of keyboards. 653.gif

If they're introducing keyboards into the game, then surely Rush Rock Band isn't too far down the road!

(I just imagined myself playing Subdivisions on a toy-like keyboard peripheral with five buttons. Awesome.)

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Jul 1 2010, 04:40 PM)
I hate guitar hero, but that would be awesome.

QUOTE (Checkster2112 @ Jul 1 2010, 05:09 PM)
I hate it too, but I'd buy it for this.

I hate it 3, and I won't be buying this game. I'll be avoiding the sight of this game (something as simple as an ad for it) at all costs.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 12:17 AM)

I hate it 3, and I won't be buying this game. I'll be avoiding the sight of this game (something as simple as an ad for it) at all costs.

Why hate something that encourages discovery of rhythm or music? Yes, it isn't like playing a real instrument but if it gets kids interested in great music what's the harm?

My son started playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero and became incredible on Expert level. Then he got interested in playing the electric bass and took band in middle school. He got straight A's in band and learned to play the double bass as well. He will be taking summer band, playing bass again in advanced band next year and is taking a guitar course as well.

I can specifically attribute my son's blossoming interest in music and learning to play instruments to these "video instruments games" so don't be so quick to disparage that which, in your opinion, is fake or worthless.

btw, my 13 year old son is a HUGE Rush fan and says he'd love to learn to play like Geddy does.

(I know it's been said to death, but...)

Y'know, if you would pick up a real guitar and learn to play it instead of the pointless plastic piece of crap, you might:

a. actually learn a meaningful skill;

b. pick up chicks (or dudes, whatever, everyone digs a guitar player);

c. get into a band, get signed, make a killing as a musician;

d. all of the above.

Likely? Maybe not. Possible? Hell, yes. With Rock Band and Guitar Hero and all the clones, there's zero chance of any of it, plus, everyone from real musicians to fans of music in general will make fun of you mercilessly.

Keep tappin' those buttons.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 2 2010, 12:51 AM)

Y'know, if you would pick up a real guitar and learn to play it instead of the pointless plastic piece of crap, you might:
d. all of the above.

Likely? Maybe not. Possible? Hell, yes. With Rock Band and Guitar Hero and all the clones, there's zero chance of any of it, plus, everyone from real musicians to fans of music in general will make fun of you mercilessly.

Read my post above yours. Would you like to retract your statement?

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jul 1 2010, 11:49 PM)

Why hate something that encourages discovery of rhythm or music? Yes, it isn't like playing a real instrument but if it gets kids interested in great music what's the harm?

My son started playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero and become incredible on Expert level. Then he got interested in playing the electric bass and took band in middle school. He got straight A's in band and learned to play the double bass as well. He will be taking summer band, playing bass again in advanced band next year and is taking a guitar course as well.

I can specifically attribute my son's blossoming interest in music and learning to play instruments to these "video instruments games" so don't be so quick to disparage that which, in your opinion, is fake or worthless.

btw, my 13 year old son is a HUGE Rush fan and says he'd love to learn to play like Geddy does.

He's likely the only kid in history to do that, to become interested in music only after becoming a god in a music-based video game. Kids have been getting into music and picking up guitars for decades. They didn't need a video game to get 'em started.

That said, your son sounds like a great kid. It's awesome that he gets such great grades and is getting into the arts as well.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jul 1 2010, 11:52 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 2 2010, 12:51 AM)

d. all of the above.

Read my post above yours. Would you like to retract your statement?

No biggrin.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jul 1 2010, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 2 2010, 12:54 AM)
With Rock Band and Guitar Hero and all the clones, there's zero chance of any of it,

"Zero chance" huh. Guess you were wrong.

Not at all. Your kid is playing real instruments. My comment was for those that don't. Read it again. Nobody - NOBODY - gets rich and famous only playing Rock Band. Nobody. That was my point.

Your kid is the exception, not the rule - and he wouldn't even be that, if he hadn't decided to pick up a real instrument.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 2 2010, 01:14 AM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jul 1 2010, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 2 2010, 12:54 AM)
With Rock Band and Guitar Hero and all the clones, there's zero chance of any of it,

"Zero chance" huh. Guess you were wrong.

Not at all. Your kid is playing real instruments. My comment was for those that don't. Read it again. Nobody - NOBODY - gets rich and famous only playing Rock Band. Nobody. That was my point.

Your kid is the exception, not the rule - and he wouldn't even be that, if he hadn't decided to pick up a real instrument.

Agreed that only playing those games won't get you rich and famous. Some people don't care that much about becoming rich and famous.

It can't be all bad if it sparks an interest in music. Just sayin.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jul 1 2010, 09:49 PM)

-story of son-

so don't be so quick to disparage that which, in your opinion, is fake or worthless.

Don't be so quick to assume I hate the game just because of the fake instruments. I recall in sophomore year, everyone was talking about how awesome the song "Welcome Home" was. I, being a fan of all of coheed's work; would ask if they liked any other of their songs.. But they didn't. They saw Coheed and Cambria as a one hit wonder. (vice-versa with the confrontations too. Ex: someone saw me with a coheed shirt once and reacted with "dude welcome home kicks ass" ...And I would retaliate...). And this includes the girl who was my "lover" at the time - oh boy... How they found out about the song? "Rock Band" I swear. Every last person. (I know this from asking them, and the fact that a 2005-released song suddenly became a hit in 2008-2009.)

That pissed me off, and still does today, because now I can never truly enjoy Welcome Home again. (welcome home was one of my favorites too by the way) All the song does for me now is remind me of a terrible high school year and a stupid-ass video game ruining what was such a meaningful song to me.

You have had the better experience with the game. All the better for you and your son, but I haven't had a good experience with these games whatsoever.

Nobody - NOBODY - gets rich and famous only playing Rock Band. Nobody. That was my point.

Nobody gets rich and famous sitting around and listening to Rush either, but I'm betting you do that. Nobody gets rich and famous posting on internet forums either, but here you are doing that. You see, there is a thing called entertainment. Not everything everyone does needs to ultimately be important to their development in life. Any time you've watched TV or a movie, listened to a song or posted on this very site, you too could have been doing something productive instead, something that would help you attain the all-important goals in your eyes such as "picking up chicks" or "getting rich and famous". But sometimes having fun with something is enough for people, and some people choose to do that by playing games like Rock Band, and it's no different than any of the other activities I mentioned. Unless you're going to swear off all other activities that don't directly contribute some kind of meaningful progress to your life, you have no justification to belittle these games or people who play them. And the fact that these games are actually responsible for getting many people into music they wouldn't otherwise hear and actually get them interested in picking up "real" instruments when they otherwise wouldn't (and believe me, that other poster's kid is not the only one by far) they really have a leg up over other forms of entertainment that don't do those things.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jul 1 2010, 09:49 PM)

-story of son-

so don't be so quick to disparage that which, in your opinion, is fake or worthless.

Don't be so quick to assume I hate the game just because of the fake instruments. I recall in sophomore year, everyone was talking about how awesome the song "Welcome Home" was. I, being a fan of all of coheed's work; would ask if they liked any other of their songs.. But they didn't. They saw Coheed and Cambria as a one hit wonder. (vice-versa with the confrontations too. Ex: someone saw me with a coheed shirt once and reacted with "dude welcome home kicks ass" ...And I would retaliate...). And this includes the girl who was my "lover" at the time - oh boy... How they found out about the song? "Rock Band" I swear. Every last person. (I know this from asking them, and the fact that a 2005-released song suddenly became a hit in 2008-2009.)

That pissed me off, and still does today, because now I can never truly enjoy Welcome Home again. (welcome home was one of my favorites too by the way) All the song does for me now is remind me of a terrible high school year and a stupid-ass video game ruining what was such a meaningful song to me.

You have had the better experience with the game. All the better for you and your son, but I haven't had a good experience with these games whatsoever.

I don't understand why you would hate the song after this experience?

I hear Muse fans complain about Knights of Cydonia and people only knowing it because it was in the game. Well, I'm glad it was because the guy who got ME into Muse got into Muse because of hearing that song in the game. I've never even played the game, but I've glad it was in there.

But even if I'd only ever gotten into KoC- no problem there. There are tons of people out there who only know TS when it comes to Rush and I don't have an issue with that. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of TS or any other Rush song one bit. Heck, I know a guy who seems to have only associate "Tai Shan" with Rush (don't ask me how, I have no idea- something about a former roommate in college). Even that doesn't bother me.

Anyway, I guess I just like video games in general, so I don't see what the issue is with this one. It's not for me (I'd rather play a real guitar), but it sure seems to bring a lot of other people a lot of enjoyment, all the while exposing them to some new music they might never have heard. Sounds win/win to me.

Also, I read an article a couple years back about how much many of the real bands love playing this game.

I checked the wikipedia page for Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock. It contains the "setlist".

It states: 2112 Part 4. I guess this means we only get Presentation. At least it'll have the cool Lerxst solo. I will be impressed with anyone that could pull of that solo on expert mode.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 2 2010, 01:34 AM)
Nobody - NOBODY - gets rich and famous only playing Rock Band. Nobody. That was my point.

Nobody gets rich and famous sitting around and listening to Rush either, but I'm betting you do that. Nobody gets rich and famous posting on internet forums either, but here you are doing that. You see, there is a thing called entertainment. Not everything everyone does needs to ultimately be important to their development in life. Any time you've watched TV or a movie, listened to a song or posted on this very site, you too could have been doing something productive instead, something that would help you attain the all-important goals in your eyes such as "picking up chicks" or "getting rich and famous". But sometimes having fun with something is enough for people, and some people choose to do that by playing games like Rock Band, and it's no different than any of the other activities I mentioned. Unless you're going to swear off all other activities that don't directly contribute some kind of meaningful progress to your life, you have no justification to belittle these games or people who play them. And the fact that these games are actually responsible for getting many people into music they wouldn't otherwise hear and actually get them interested in picking up "real" instruments when they otherwise wouldn't (and believe me, that other poster's kid is not the only one by far) they really have a leg up over other forms of entertainment that don't do those things.

Sorry, I refuse your premise on the basis that you took my post to a ridiculous level. Nobody said that getting rich and famous or getting chicks are the ultimate goals in life. You took my post and made it sound like I think it's the be-all, end-all of life.

We're talking about a stupid video game and the merits of playing to the point of virtuosity rather than picking up a real guitar and doing the same. Real instruments have secondary benefits - some of which I named, lightheartedly, many of which I did not - while games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero do not.

Video games are fun. I like video games. I went to school to learn how to design and program video games. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are ****ing stupid video games, I don't care how much fun some people have with them. People have fun with heroin, too. I wouldn't call that a very smart choice, either.

'kay. I'm off to go waste some time not getting rich and famous by posting a few things to Twitter common001.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 1 2010, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jul 1 2010, 11:49 PM)

My son started playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero and become incredible on Expert level. Then he got interested in playing the electric bass and took band in middle school. He got straight A's in band and learned to play the double bass as well. He will be taking summer band, playing bass again in advanced band next year and is taking a guitar course as well.

He's likely the only kid in history to do that, to become interested in music only after becoming a god in a music-based video game. Kids have been getting into music and picking up guitars for decades. They didn't need a video game to get 'em started.

That said, your son sounds like a great kid. It's awesome that he gets such great grades and is getting into the arts as well.

I myself am a person who now plays guitar and is a complete music enthusiast after first getting very good at Guitar Hero/Rock Band. I also know tons of people who have done the same. There are many articles all around the internet stating that these music games are actually convincing more kids to get into music and eventually learn instruments.

I honestly have never seen any negatives come out of the games except for maybe the kids that say Rush is their favorite band and then can only name songs that have been on the games unsure.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 2 2010, 09:53 AM)
Video games are fun. I like video games. I went to school to learn how to design and program video games. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are ****ing stupid video games, I don't care how much fun some people have with them. People have fun with heroin, too. I wouldn't call that a very smart choice, either.

???

I don't get the analogy to heroin at all. Heroin has a downside. These games do not (other than waste of time, etc. that all manners of entertainment have).

People (not you) enjoy the game. That's all it takes to justify the existence of something that's created for fun.

Archived