Jazz is Weird

rushgoober

Dave Weckl is good. He is a drummer

Miles Davis The Birth of Cool, Bitches Brew, Sketches of spain

the Crusaders

Vince Gauraldi

All good when winding down at night

I could go on forever in this thread. But I won't.

Goobs, glad you're digging a lot of what you're discovering. 1022.gif

I've a LOT of favorite jazz albums, from different periods. Mostly I'm a Miles/Coltrane/Monk/Mingus guy. I love a lot of the Blue Note records of the late 50s into the late 1960s. You could spend just years on Miles and Trane without branching out, really, since they changed throughout their lives.

With fusion, it's mostly Weather Report for me. I respect the hell out of Chick Corea but unfortunately most of his music doesn't really move me, other than on a technical level.

My favorite jazz record of the past 15 years is probably Kenny Garrett's "Songbook". It covers a lot of styles, has great playing, and most of all the tunes themselves are well-written...

Maybe you can recommend some Sun Ra to me Goobs? I'm only familiar with his name and influence....

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

Oh man, I thought this was a thread about the Queen album!

Anyway, I appreciate jazz very much. But, I have to be in the mood. Really in the mood.

I love Thelonious Monk's "Misterioso". It's really cool stuff.

And tons of Miles Davis. You can argue he's the American music genius of the 20th century. For sure.

Everything that has been mentioned before now and, if you're looking for something kinda funky, get some Jimmy Smith. Bill Evans, Eric Dolphy, Mose Allison, Wes Montgomery, Dizzy Gillespie....god, the list is endless...

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jul 14 2010, 04:01 PM)
Maybe you can recommend some Sun Ra to me Goobs? I'm only familiar with his name and influence....

I've got a LOT of Sun Ra discs. Some are LP burns onto cd when it hasn't been reissued on cd yet, but most are proper CD's.

Keep in mind that there are many Sun Ra's - there's the traditional side, and there's the far our side. Within the far out side, the stuff varies wildly in quality and style, as he wasn't afraid to try almost anything.

I really don't care much for "traditional jazz." I don't dislike it, but it gets really boring for me really fast, so the Sun Ra discs that really do it for me are the ones that are more exciting and out there. Here are a bunch that I heartily recommend:

Continuation

Crystal Spears

Fondation Maeght Nights Volume 1

Fondation Maeght Nights Volume 2

Hidden Fire 2

Horizon

It's After the End of the World

Live at the Gibus

Media Dream

Pathways to Unknown Worlds

Secrets of the Sun

Solar Myth Approach Volume 1

Solar Myth Approach Volume 2

Song of the Stargazers

Space Probe

Strange Celestial Road

Strange Strings

Sub Underground

The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra Volume 1

The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra Volume 2

The Magic City

The Night of the Purple Moon

The Soul Vibrations of Man

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 14 2010, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jul 14 2010, 04:01 PM)

I've got a LOT of Sun Ra discs. Some are LP burns onto cd when it hasn't been reissued on cd yet, but most are proper CD's.

Keep in mind that there are many Sun Ra's - there's the traditional side, and there's the far our side. Within the far out side, the stuff varies wildly in quality and style, as he wasn't afraid to try almost anything.

I really don't care much for "traditional jazz." I don't dislike it, but it gets really boring for me really fast, so the Sun Ra discs that really do it for me are the ones that are more exciting and out there. Here are a bunch that I heartily recommend:

Continuation

Crystal Spears

Fondation Maeght Nights Volume 1

Fondation Maeght Nights Volume 2

Hidden Fire 2

Horizon

It's After the End of the World

Live at the Gibus

Media Dream

Pathways to Unknown Worlds

Secrets of the Sun

Solar Myth Approach Volume 1

Solar Myth Approach Volume 2

Song of the Stargazers

Space Probe

Strange Celestial Road

Strange Strings

Sub Underground

The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra Volume 1

The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra Volume 2

The Magic City

The Night of the Purple Moon

The Soul Vibrations of Man

Dang, goob. You wanna narrow that down a little? wacko.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 14 2010, 06:20 PM)
Oh man, I thought this was a thread about the Queen album!

Anyway, I appreciate jazz very much.  But, I have to be in the mood.  Really in the mood.

I love Thelonious Monk's "Misterioso".  It's really cool stuff.

And tons of Miles Davis.  You can argue he's the American music genius of the 20th century.  For sure.

YES to Miles Davis. I downloaded Bitches Brew a month ago, but it got f*cked up. I need to re-download it. I LOVE Davis. He took jazz to a higher place.

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 14 2010, 08:08 PM)
No one like Wayne Krantz or Alex Machacek? Allan Holdsworth?

Allan Holdsworth? He's jazz? Am I stupid? I know his name, but not as jazz. perhaps I am stupid. I dunno. confused13.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 14 2010, 08:11 PM)

Allan Holdsworth? He's jazz? Am I stupid? I know his name, but not as jazz. perhaps I am stupid. I dunno. confused13.gif

Yeah he's jazz, but more in the indefinable or perhaps the jazz/rock, jazz fusion catergory. He really has his own catergory, but jazz is what he calls his music.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 14 2010, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 14 2010, 08:11 PM)

Yeah he's jazz, but more in the indefinable or perhaps the jazz/rock, jazz fusion catergory. He really has his own catergory, but jazz is what he calls his music.

Ok, then. So what do you suggest by Holdsworth?

Road Games

Metal Fatigue

Atavachron

Sand

Wardencliffe Tower

Hard Hat Area

and a LOT more.

He did some great work in the Bill Bruford band and some side stuff as well.

There is soooo much Allan Holdsworth to listen to.

Here's something real cool that he did. It's not guitar work, it's the Synthaxe that's used here......

I got into it mostly because of artists like Chick Corea and Weather Report. I still own and listen to anything and everything with Jaco Pastorius on it. Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" album is also very good.

Sounds like Goob likes the weird dissonant stuff, though... so how about Miles's "In a Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew," the two pioneering albums of the Jazz-Fusion genre?

The musicians on the Bitches Brew sessions all went and formed their own outstanding Fusion bands - Chick Corea and Lenny White went to Return To Forever, Herbie Hancock started the Headhunters, John McLaughlin formed Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul formed Weather Report. Any album by any of those bands, and you're doing well.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 14 2010, 08:52 PM)
Road Games
Metal Fatigue
Atavachron
Sand
Wardencliffe Tower
Hard Hat Area

and a LOT more.
He did some great work in the Bill Bruford band and some side stuff as well.

There is soooo much Allan Holdsworth to listen to.

Here's something real cool that he did. It's not guitar work, it's the Synthaxe that's used here......

http://www.youtube.com/v/IgKZr9zE4mg&hl=en_US&fs=1

Yeah Rush were into Bruford in the late 70s...

The Tony Williams stuff is great too...

Also soft Machine

He has a recent live album out playing Tony Williams stuff with Alan Pasqua and Jimmy Haslip.

Other solo Holdsworth not mentioned by Mr Krinkle:

IOU

secrets

sixteen Men of Tain

Flat Tire

None too soon (jazz standards album)

You could get the best of album to start with though: Against the clock

Or one of the two other live albums, All Night Wrong or Then!

Also UK, with Bruford again and John Wetton...that's a prog rock album.

Hey Goob,

I'll scroll through my iTunes library for you, and make a list of artists and suggested listening. Its all GREAT stuff. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Louis Armstrong (some, me included, say it all started with Satchmo)

The Bad Plus - Prog (has a cover of Tom Sawyer.)

Count Basie Orchestra - Montreaux '77 (Basie is incredible, and a personal favorite!)

The Louis Bellson Explosion - self titled album

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic

Chris Botti - A Thousand Kisses Deep (can't go wrong with any of Botti's stuff really)

Dave Brubeck - essential songs: Blue Rondo and Take Five

Michael Buble - the Frank Sinatra of his time, can't go wrong with any of his stuff either.

Rosemary Clooney

John Coltrane - Blue Train; Giant Steps; Love Supreme; Coltrane for Lovers

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool; Kind of Blue; Round About Midnight; Bitches Brew

DiMeola, DeLucia, and McLaughlin - Friday Night in San Francisco

Duke Ellington - Live at Newport

Don Ellis - Tears of Joy (A MUST!!! especially the song Strawberry Soup.)

Maynard Ferguson - Chameleon; Live from San Francisco

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Swingin' for the Fences

Woody Herman Big Band - From East to West

Billie Holiday

J.J. Johnson and Kai Winding - The Great Kai and J.J.

Stan Kenton (also a must!! especially 'city of glass' and his Latin stuff - 'Malaguena' and 'La Suerta de Los Tontos')

Wynton Marsalis - Standard Time series

Pat Metheny Group (also a favorite) - Letter from Home; First Circle; Still Life (talking)

Glenn Miller - conducted the Air Force jazz band during world war 2 before he disappeared

Thelonius Monk - check out the stuff he recorded with Coltrane

Charlie Parker - played with Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis; the greatest sax player of all time

Frank Sinatra - THE MAN. incredible vocalist, there will never be another like him. Check out the Live at the Sands with the Count Basie Orchestra album. My favorite jazz album of all time.

Return to Forever - Chick Corea's fusion band, if you live Mahavishnu, you'll love them! Check out the Romantic Warrior album!

Jimmy Smith - plays the hell out of the hammond b3 organ.

Weather Report - song: 'birdland'

Yellowjackets - Mint Jam. a great, more modern quintet.

Also, I think I've heard Chicago/Chicago Transit Authority on your show before (if not I think you'd dig their early stuff)...if so, you should also check out:

Earth, Wind, and Fire

Tower of Power

Chase

Blood, Sweat, and Tears

I'm not meaning to give you a music overload...but you do that to me every week. tongue.gif

Cheers dude, happy listening!

trink39.gif

I saw Michael Brecker when i was in college. It was great. He passed away a few years ago but he was an extremely prolific studio musician playing from every body from steely dan to rick james and all points in between.

i grew up on 70's & 80's metal, then studied jazz in college (U of North Texas). John Scofield is my favorite guitarist (I named my dog Sco).

Here's my short list of newer jazz that's "accessible" to non jazz fans;

John Scofield - A Go Go

Will Bernard - Blue Plate Special

Charlie Hunter - Charlie Hunter

MMW - Combustication

Bad Plus - These Are The Vistas

Some classic "trad jazz" stuff thats easy to listen to;

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Dave Brubeck - Take Five

Wes Montgomery - Smokin' At The Half Note

Jimmy Smith - Chicken Shack

Someone mentioned Beck, DiMeola, & McLaughlin's fusion records;

all very cool, and very accessible to rawk fans, but IMHO these guys are rawk styled players in both tone (fairly distorted) & phrasing/note choices. Nothing wrong w/ that, but it's not that jazz influenced, more like instrumental rock w/ more adventerous backing tracks than the typical instrumental rockers like Vai/Satch, etc.

If you're really bored, check out my jazz/funk/ska band;

myspace.com/generichustle