Bravest Face - I'm not keen on the "yodeling"

treeduck

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2010, 02:34 PM)
Well it's probably not technically a yodel. It is a falsetto type note raise...and I'm pretty sure you don't hear it on any other all-original Rush studio album except for S&A. It's unique. I'm not sure -- like it/love it/indifferent about it -- how you could miss it though.

It always bugged me, sounds like Geddy's voice is finally breaking after all these years, and his wife thought his balls dropped in 1992...

tongue.gif laugh.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2010, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 17 2010, 03:26 PM)
Good god. 3 pages over Ged pseudo-yodeling? We need tour spoilers or something.

I always think your name says "theredmarsupial"

Somebody else thought it was "the red mule"...that's kinda cool. The Red Marsupial sounds like a bad Australian comic book character.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 17 2010, 04:28 PM)

Somebody else thought it was "the red mule"...that's kinda cool. The Red Marsupial sounds like a bad Australian comic book character.

It really does. But how many of those are there??

laugh.gif

"Yodeling (or yodelling, jodeling) is a form of singing that involves singing an extended note which rapidly and repeatedly changes in pitch from the vocal or chest register (or "chest voice") to the falsetto/head register; making a high-low-high-low sound. This vocal technique is used in many cultures throughout the world." Wikipedia

Technically, I don't think he's yodeling. Looks like yodeling is the extended "trilling" when you rapidly alternate between the notes.

Geddy is doing more of the Dave Matthews thing, where he slips into falsetto in the middle of a phrase.

ph34r.gif

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2010, 04:50 PM)

It really does. But how many of those are there??

laugh.gif Don't know about Australian comic books but here is an actual red marsupial...the red kangaroo:

http://www.gokids.com.au/editorial/kangaroo2.jpg

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2010, 11:30 PM)
yeah, this song would be in the bottom 25% of the RUSH catalogue imho. and it's partly due to the yodeling

To me when Geddy yodels it sounds like he's drunk. I find myself yelling at the stereo, "Lay off the wine Geddy and get out of the cellar you damn souse!"

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 25 2012, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2010, 11:30 PM)
yeah, this song would be in the bottom 25% of the RUSH catalogue imho.  and it's partly due to the yodeling

To me when Geddy yodels it sounds like he's drunk. I find myself yelling at the stereo, "Lay off the wine Geddy and get out of the cellar you damn souse!"

trink38.gif

What's a souse?

I wanna go and listen to this one again as I've never noticed any yodelling but im a bit scared that it might ruin the song for me!!!

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 17 2010, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 16 2010, 07:07 PM)
Like the chorus, the verses are terrible musically, lyrically and vocally.

The song is embarrassing.

I've listened to this song all the way through maybe twice, same with Good News First and a couple others.

S&A is pretty much a drink coaster album outside of a couple songs. I don't know what the hell Geddy was thinking with his weird vocal inflections on some of those songs. It just doesn't work.

The choruses are good but that sloppy sounding acoustic guitar in the verses was just a bad idea. I agree Good News First does have more yodel in it. SnA was just too all over the place stylistically and too much filler by Rush standards. Hope, Wind Blows, Good News First, Bravest Face, We Hold On. I classify all of those as sub-standard. Hopefully CA is way more cohesive and way more aggressive.

I hear what you're talking about and Pariah Dog is correct - it's not technically a yodel. But it IS rather annoying. I do really love the acoustic guitars in this song, though and the lyrics have a great message. Oh well, every song can't be perfect confused13.gif

When I first heard that Alex was using acoustic guitar a lot on SnA I was happy but in the end I don't care for the way he used it on SnA. A lot of his acoustic work here reminds me of 60's folk music and I hate 60's music. Even Hope doesn't do it for me.(kind of Irish shanty sounding) I was thinking more like the intro to Natural Science or Farewell To Kings or even something along the lines of Broons Bane. What he did right before Ged's vocals come in on Armor and Sword is totally awesome though. Edited by presto123

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 26 2012, 03:54 PM)
LIKE Bravest Face

LOVE Good News First

All good in my books. smile.gif

They're ok, but yodeling? I dunno about that. I've listened to it and I hear his voice wavering, but "yodeling"?? I've heard actual yodeling, to call his voice fluctuation "yodeling" is a bit of a stretch IMO