Why do some people get really drunk at concerts?

I just saw a show Sunday night and everyone around me was drinking like no tomorrow. Not only were they in my way most of the time, I seriously worried about getitng home that night. I was sober as a blank piece of paper but who knows where these drunks' cars would head up -- possibly in a crash with me. And I highly doubt many of these people had disignated drivers with them.

Not cool. Enjoy a drink, maybe two at most but cut it out from there, k?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the S&A tour there was a LOT of peeps from several boards sucking down the Coronas. So many people were shitfaced when they went into the venue, and they continued to drink.

I waited FOREVER for a friend who was so drunk she couldn't find her way to her car eh.gif

In my younger days I smoked but now I prefer to see the show sober and try to take in the entire experience so I can remember every little detail to replay it in my head.

btw after the '08 leg 2 girls were in the parking lot offering blow jobs for dope

facepalm.gif

I love having some pops at a concert with a little buzz, BUT I hate having to constantly run to take a leak and miss the show. That's what drives me crazy. As I got older I avoided it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/sig01.gif

Edited by RushNut

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 14 2010, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 14 2010, 09:12 PM)

That's definitely annoying. Totally understandable.

Kicking the back of your chair is ALWAYS a nerve-wracker. Not only is it distracting, but it also personally makes me feel nauseous when done in continuos succession. If you notice, most of the olde folks who go to concerts (especially Rush), the majority of them like sitting down and enjoying the show with a good food and drink in hand. This is actually the way concerts are supposed to be.. no standing up, no smoking pot, no disorderly conduct. But somewhere along the way, these rules were lost.

rules??wtf.gif

how is 'standing up' in the same breath as disorderly conduct?

no one under the age of 65 sits at rush show for more than on song here or there. drinking by the lighthouse, SMOKING on the peer..." cool10.gif those "rules" suck! what a killjoy!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jun 15 2010, 01:17 PM)
well im gunna be really mad if I have to deal with that crap, I paid a lot for my seats

Do you really think that someone that has been drinking for 8rs before the show cares if you are mad ? The best thing to do is say something to them. It might take you more than one try, but not saying anything does nothing .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2010, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jun 15 2010, 01:17 PM)
well im gunna be really mad if I have to deal with that crap, I paid a lot for my seats

Do you really think that someone that has been drinking for 8rs before the show cares if you are mad ? The best thing to do is say something to them. It might take you more than one try, but not saying anything does nothing .

Good point.

You must realize that if you show up to the concert when the doors first open (usually an hour before actual show-time) and the seating is still largely available with the exception of a few sporadic people in their seats, and you see empty seats next to you, when they come stumbling in at the last minute, it's usually (not always) a sign of trouble. It's a sign that they MAY be a disturbance and disrupt the tranquility you once witnessed. But there's nothing you can do about that; if they are indeed sitting beside you, then they paid the same price as you did, and they will enjoy the show as they see fit.

And let's be real.... they aren't going to give a damn what you say or do to stop them. It's the same as if you went there perfectly sober and somebody else stood RIGHT in your way on purpose and kept moving to blok your view everytime you tried to look around them. They'd be ruining it for you, right? Well, that's what you're doing to these guys by trying to tell them to "stop"

I like a few  before a show as much as anyone but, i am not paying $150 for a seat so i Don't remember it the next day.

Exactly, this is what I don't get, as tickets get more and more expensive (for everybody, not just Rush) you'd think that people would actually want to remember they were there and get what they paid for. I understand having a beer or two to loosen up or whatever and I also understand that some people get carried away and are wasted before they realize it but there are people who do it intentionally because they think that's just part of the deal. "Dude, we're gonna go see AC/DC this weekend and totally get drunk off our asses!" Whatever. There was a guy I worked with a few years ago and one day we were discussing music and he told me excitedly that he saw Van Halen on their Fair Warning tour and then quite proudly told me that he was too f*cked up to remember any of it when I asked him details. Wouldn't that kind of, you know, suck?

So, it bothers me because first, wouldn't anybody want to actually experience the show after the expense and effort of getting there? Why not spend less money and just get wasted at home while listening to a record otherwise? And secondly, you're annoying the crap out of me spilling beer and nachos all over my back and screaming inane crap while I'm trying to enjoy the show! smile.gif I don't want people to be quiet if it's show/band related but screaming to the person next to them about the chick they banged last night or something about their favorite sports team while I'm listening to live Rush is a good way to get a tour program shoved up their noses.

There was a guy passed out on the stairs of the venue in R30 concert in Stockholm.

That must have been a great experience for him. Getting to see the band that you love live probably for the first time in your life and you miss it by drinking yourself unconscious?

Now that I really don't understand. One or two beers before, sure.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 14 2010, 05:14 PM)
I've always wondered this, and I've seen it happen on numerous occasions.

My very first concert was, coincidentally, Rush during their S&A tour a few years ago, and there were two guys beside me that didn't show up until 5 minutes before show-time, and they were crazy drunk.
They were blurting out expletives, along with the infamous "RUSH! RUSH RUSH!" as they were making their way down our row to get to their seats BESIDE US! Some people followed along and chanted, but most sat there quietly with their hands in their laps.

As they were making their way down the row, when one of them got directly in front of me, he stopped, looked at ME and yelled "oh come on, now!!!! IT"S RUSH! Let me hear you!" so I reluctantly yelled it out in fear of an impending karate chop to the head if I didn't.

Then when the show was up and running, they were embarassing... leaning over to my sister and asking us to take pictures of them with her camera, and possibly take THEM home with her after the show!
They were being so rude and disrespectful that they weren't even paying attention to the show and eventually, they were removed by security just before intermission, and then I noticed they NEVER came back for the remaining duration of the show.

My question is.. what does a person get out of this? If you truly are a fan of a band (ANY band), why would you ruin it for yourself?

Maybe they need an excuse...

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 15 2010, 05:21 PM)
It's like me getting to see Cliff Burton play with Metallica. (dare I dream) Good luck doing that now in today's day and age, since it will probably never happen again.

Just probably not? tongue.gif

I'd say Cliff showing up would be a pretty big draw.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jun 15 2010, 05:00 PM)
It's like me getting to see Cliff Burton play with Metallica. (dare I dream) Good luck doing that now in today's day and age, since it will probably never happen again.

OHH!!!! I see what you mean here. Sorry, I wasn't very clear with my post. I was referring to David Lee Roth as the "probably not", but I wasn't clear about that. Instead, it sorta seemed like I tied it in with Cliff tongue.gif

Yeah, with Cliff, there is no "probably not" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 15 2010, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jun 15 2010, 05:00 PM)

OHH!!!! I see what you mean here. Sorry, I wasn't very clear with my post. I was referring to David Lee Roth as the "probably not", but I wasn't clear about that. Instead, it sorta seemed like I tied it in with Cliff tongue.gif

Yeah, with Cliff, there is no "probably not" laugh.gif

Well...

unless you get really wasted at the show, then you might see Cliff play.

ph34r.gif

I'm definitely a drinker but not at concerts, simply because I don't want to have to get up and pee every five minutes. I'm not an obnoxious drunk either, I'm pretty happy and upbeat. Last time I drank at a concert was U2 a few years back and I drank too much and didn't even remember most of the concert. I vowed to never do that again.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 14 2010, 06:29 PM)
but she saw it as an opportunity to expose herself in an environment where there'd a be a dominant male audience.

She took off her top? confused13.gif

I honestly don't do't kow how peeps can get drunk and even remember the show. I may have ONE drink cause even with one I sometimes have a tough time recalling everything. I gather that's why I see them so many times when 2.gif goes on tour just so I can remember it all.

Many drunks start to do so many dumb things like on my first concert some idiot tried to snatch my original GUP tshirt. Well he paid the price when I chased him down and I beat him senseless. I was young and just didn't take any mess, I did rip that shirt though. angry.gif Bah I'd never be able to fit in that thing now anyway.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 15 2010, 07:18 PM)
I'm definitely a drinker but not at concerts, simply because I don't want to have to get up and pee every five minutes. I'm not an obnoxious drunk either, I'm pretty happy and upbeat. Last time I drank at a concert was U2 a few years back and I drank too much and didn't even remember most of the concert. I vowed to never do that again.

Well, seeing as how it was U2, you should consider it a blessing that you can't remember anything laugh.gif rofl3.gif

Naahhh i'm just kidding...

(No.... no I'm not ) ohmy.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 15 2010, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 14 2010, 06:29 PM)
but she saw it as an opportunity to expose herself in an environment where there'd a be a dominant male audience.

She took off her top? confused13.gif

tongue.gif tongue.gif

I meant it in the sense that she "exposed her drunk personality"

Just like that one poster said, it's a total "look at meeeeee!" contest. The chick probably didn't know a single song, and people like that make me mad. They use a concert as a way to show off their total buffoonery to an abundant crowd full of males.

When we saw Rush last tour at Nokia, we were in the first row behind the pit. Some guy in the front row right in front of Geddy spent the entire show walking back and forth to buy beer. When he was actually at his seat, he spent nearly the entire time with his back to the stage, cheering and yelling at the crowd, like he thought he was on stage or something. I dont think he actually watched the show for more than 10 minutes in total. I still wonder what in the hell was wrong with this guy. Front row and you are so wasted that you dont even watch the show???? At least he looked like he was having fun.

QUOTE (toddnbeth @ Jun 15 2010, 08:42 PM)
I dont think he actually watched the show for more than 10 minutes in total. I still wonder what in the hell was wrong with this guy.

Sounds like he wasn't loved as a child