I Want To Hear Prime Mover!

rushfan676

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jun 13 2010, 02:51 AM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 13 2010, 12:31 AM)

I don't really see how anyone could listen to FBN-MP and think that the music didn't start to slip a little with Signals. I've struggled with describing this for a long time, but at some point in the 80's, music in general seemed to get lighter, almost "bouncy" (for lack of a better word), in a way. Song structure changed, songs began to sound more processed. Rush had changed every album, but at some point they seemed to lose their fire. If you can't hear a difference, I don't really know what to tell you. All bands do it. They hit it big and lose the hunger that got them there. This is one of the most ridiculous arguments. All bands do it. They lose the fire and start playing lighter, more commercial sounding stuff. Many of them make some sort of recovery, but never really get back to the magic of the old days.

I agree with you on Signals and Hold Your Fire but your reasoning i completely disagree with. They were experimenting with new sounds, approaches, textures and not all experiments are always successful. They weren't trying to be commercial or lose their hunger or passion for making music. Anyway they came with a vengeance on Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows, two albums loaded with great music.

Strongly disagree with you guys here on Signals. Sure the synths were there, but the material was very strong. I think its their last flawless album. Grace is also good. I think things started to slip - significantly - with power windows.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 13 2010, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jun 12 2010, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 12 2010, 03:47 AM)
I had the displeasure of hearing it on the HYF tour. That had to be the worst tour they've ever done. That whole era needs to die and stay dead. Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Presto are three really bad albums.

SHUT UP.

i dont know hoe you could think that!!

those albums are packed with Rush "moments". and i would love to hear Prime Mover done live now..

and i really hope the give Power Windows some representation this time around.

Ah, my first "SHUT UP". Good one. Are we no longer entitled to opinions here?

i was just kidding you dont have to shut up trink39.gif

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jun 13 2010, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 13 2010, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jun 12 2010, 01:56 PM)
I had the displeasure of hearing it on the HYF tour. That had to be the worst tour they've ever done. That whole era needs to die and stay dead. Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Presto are three really bad albums.

SHUT UP.

i dont know hoe you could think that!!

those albums are packed with Rush "moments". and i would love to hear Prime Mover done live now..

and i really hope the give Power Windows some representation this time around.

Ah, my first "SHUT UP". Good one. Are we no longer entitled to opinions here?

i was just kidding you dont have to shut up trink39.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 13 2010, 07:19 AM)

I don't really see how anyone could listen to FBN-MP and think that the music didn't start to slip a little with Signals. I've struggled with describing this for a long time, but at some point in the 80's, music in general seemed to get lighter, almost "bouncy" (for lack of a better word), in a way. Song structure changed, songs began to sound more processed. Rush had changed every album, but at some point they seemed to lose their fire. If you can't hear a difference, I don't really know what to tell you. All bands do it. They hit it big and lose the hunger that got them there. This is one of the most ridiculous arguments. All bands do it. They lose the fire and start playing lighter, more commercial sounding stuff. Many of them make some sort of recovery, but never really get back to the magic of the old days.

I agree with you on Signals and Hold Your Fire but your reasoning i completely disagree with. They were experimenting with new sounds, approaches, textures and not all experiments are always successful. They weren't trying to be commercial or lose their hunger or passion for making music. Anyway they came with a vengeance on Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows, two albums loaded with great music.

Strongly disagree with you guys here on Signals. Sure the synths were there, but the material was very strong. I think its their last flawless album. Grace is also good. I think things started to slip - significantly - with power windows.

I need to say that I love Signals. I think it's some of Neil's best work as a lyricist. I wouldn't say it was "flawless", but it's really, really good. I really like GUP a lot, too. And I know they were experimenting. I don't fault them for that. But they had experimented with new sounds before (on each successive album they tried new things), and not seen a drop in quality.

But that's not really my point. My point is that Signals was the album where I started to see them "slip". It's the album where I thought, "Okay, now they've finally come to that place where the intensity and overall quality of the music will slowly decline." Another great example of this is Metallica, with "...And Justice For All". "Master of Puppets" was flawless, and a natural progression from "Ride the Lightning". "Justice" was still good, but something didn't feel quite right. Iron Maiden is another classic example. After two flawless albums in "Piece of Mind" and "Powerslave", "Seventh Son..." was still really good, but couldn't you just see that the tide was turning. Slayer is another. "Reign in Blood" was the climax of the really raw stuff, and then "South of Heaven" seemed to get everything just right, perfectly balanced, and then "Seasons in the Abyss" seemed to mark the beginning of a decline. Now I'll jump to a different genre. Phish was absolutely flawless on "Lawn Boy", "Rift" and "Hoist", but then "Billy Breathes" started to slip a little. "Farmhouse" slipped even more, but it was still really, really good music. 'Round Room" slipped even more and took a lot of getting used to (but the songs were much better live), and "Undermine" was just plain bad for the most part. Pearl Jam probably topped out with "Vs." or "Yield", then fell off significantly with "Binaural". "Riot Act" wasn't much better.

But all 5 of those bands did exactly what Rush has done. They got past the "lull" and eventually came back to playing better music again. The newer Maiden stuff with Bruce is way better than the Blaze Bailey years. The latest Metallica and Slayer releases have much more intensity than some of the crap from the mid-90's. "Joy" is closer to "Billy Breathes", and ("Avocado") and "Backspacer" seem like much better follow ups to "Yield" than the albums that actually followed it.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 14 2010, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 13 2010, 07:19 AM)

I need to say that I love Signals. I think it's some of Neil's best work as a lyricist. I wouldn't say it was "flawless", but it's really, really good. I really like GUP a lot, too. And I know they were experimenting. I don't fault them for that. But they had experimented with new sounds before (on each successive album they tried new things), and not seen a drop in quality.

But that's not really my point. My point is that Signals was the album where I started to see them "slip". It's the album where I thought, "Okay, now they've finally come to that place where the intensity and overall quality of the music will slowly decline." Another great example of this is Metallica, with "...And Justice For All". "Master of Puppets" was flawless, and a natural progression from "Ride the Lightning". "Justice" was still good, but something didn't feel quite right. Iron Maiden is another classic example. After two flawless albums in "Piece of Mind" and "Powerslave", "Seventh Son..." was still really good, but couldn't you just see that the tide was turning. Slayer is another. "Reign in Blood" was the climax of the really raw stuff, and then "South of Heaven" seemed to get everything just right, perfectly balanced, and then "Seasons in the Abyss" seemed to mark the beginning of a decline. Now I'll jump to a different genre. Phish was absolutely flawless on "Lawn Boy", "Rift" and "Hoist", but then "Billy Breathes" started to slip a little. "Farmhouse" slipped even more, but it was still really, really good music. 'Round Room" slipped even more and took a lot of getting used to (but the songs were much better live), and "Undermine" was just plain bad for the most part. Pearl Jam probably topped out with "Vs." or "Yield", then fell off significantly with "Binaural". "Riot Act" wasn't much better.

But all 5 of those bands did exactly what Rush has done. They got past the "lull" and eventually came back to playing better music again. The newer Maiden stuff with Bruce is way better than the Blaze Bailey years. The latest Metallica and Slayer releases have much more intensity than some of the crap from the mid-90's. "Joy" is closer to "Billy Breathes", and ("Avocado") and "Backspacer" seem like much better follow ups to "Yield" than the albums that actually followed it.

Whoa, I thought this was a RUSH forum! laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 12 2010, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 12 2010, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jun 12 2010, 05:05 AM)

WRONG! I'm not exactly in love with HYF or Presto (but both are cool), but PoW is a classic, IMO.

yes, yes... trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

i saw all 3 of those tours...not to mention countless others...

why the hate??

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

that happened to me! i liked the old Rush and bowed out when GUP was released.

it wasn't until VT came out, that i got into Rush again.

then in March 2003, VH1C played A Show of Hands all weekend every weekend,

and Prime Mover hooked me on the 80's Rush. wub.gif

i decided to listen again...

i'm a true fan of several bands. unlike a lot of fair weather fans around here, i like to hear what the bands do- consitently. i like certain band's musical personalities, that's what sounds good to my ears. rush's sound changed in the 80's, but i still bought and listened to all of them, BECAUSE I LOVE 2.gif

not all of their discs would be in my all time top 10, but i don't sit around here and complain about them.

i really don't get people on this forum who bitch about signals or hold your fire or whatever other albums don't suit their taste..." fists crying.gif too much keyboards fists crying.gif ..." wtf.gif not every disc is 2112 or moving pictures.

i'd much rather hear what the fair weather fans around hear call weak albums than 99% of the total shit 062802puke_prv.gif that is around today.

and as far as prime mover- great song from a great album. mission was a highlight of the last tour, IMO.

haters??? dazed025.gif

Another great example of this is Metallica, with "...And Justice For All". "Master of Puppets" was flawless, and a natural progression from "Ride the Lightning". "Justice" was still good, but something didn't feel quite right.

That's what happens when the soul of your band dies (Cliff) and you set his replacement's bass volume to 1.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 14 2010, 10:25 AM)
Another great example of this is Metallica, with "...And Justice For All". "Master of Puppets" was flawless, and a natural progression from "Ride the Lightning". "Justice" was still good, but something didn't feel quite right.

That's what happens when the soul of your band dies (Cliff) and you set his replacement's bass volume to 1.

More like "0", since I haven't heard one single note of bass guitar off that album. (Justice)

But even without that, the album still manages to be a great one for me... that says a whole lot about the guys from Metallica. (except that prick Lars, because I just cannot stand him!)

Edited by Hemispheres89

Sorry, I know it is just opinion, but no way in hell that Power Windows is really bad album. No way.

Edited by PennSt8r

Lock and Key............That is all

Power Windows is a great album. Its got the balanced mix of instruments that HYF was missing.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 17 2010, 02:34 PM)
as much as i'd like to hear it, i don't think they are going to play it. i think they are going to play the big money which isn't a bad thing, but throw us a few curve balls and dog deeper instead of playing numero uno.

wow, wrong album for me. i need some sleep. i do however think with PW, they aren't going to reach deep.

I gotta disagree. IMO, Power Windows is a great album and HYF and Presto are very good. Alot of different sounding stuff on these albums which shows the band's progression and constant evolving.

QUOTE (Cyclops @ Jun 17 2010, 01:58 PM)
I like most of the songs off HYF, but Open Secrets, Lock and Key, and Second Nature all lost me.

The three best songs on the album lost you? That's peculiar.

Those are 3 very good albums, with Presto being the one that introduced me to Rush.

As for Prime Mover, very good song, but I'll take Lock And Key this tour, thanks 653.gif

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jun 18 2010, 12:47 AM)

Those are 3 very good albums, with Presto being the one that introduced me to Rush.

As for Prime Mover, very good song, but I'll take Lock And Key this tour, thanks 653.gif

It always happens that the album that introduces us to a band is one we always like. I'm kinda surprised you kept listening if Presto was the first one you heard.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 18 2010, 12:59 AM)
[/quote]
It always happens that the album that introduces us to a band is one we always like. I'm kinda surprised you kept listening if Presto was the first one you heard.

If that surprises you, then sit down cool.gif The day I bought Presto, out of curiosity I also bought AFTK and liked them both immediately ohmy.gif

Sorry if my musical adaptability is beyond the comprehension of your narrowly pigeonholed stylistic preferences pokey.gif tongue.gif