OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

chiming in rather late with my two cents but had a week to fall in and out of love with these songs.

WOW.. I dont even know what to say. These two songs are better than any two songs off of their previous few albums. Comparing to a few years ago when first heard Far Cry, the melody of the song was what grabbed me but I somewhat felt there could have been something more as far as 'chops' was concerned.

Caravan totally suprised me, ... the rhythm section is f*ckin MEAN on this song.. Ged and Neil hadn't sounded this vicious in years!

Slight nod towards Caravan. I agree with what some people are saying about the verses not being overtly catchy. but from the split second the first chorus started,-- immediate response was spine-tingling and a deep breath. its PERFECT.

Bu2b I love for its up-tempo aggresion. Its kind of a cross between something you'd hear off of VT but more textural like a darker Power Windows or Hold your Fire song (Emotion Detector/Lock and Key). I find nothing overtly catchy about it but i LOVE the lyrical content even though the religious thing might be wearing thin a little, the message is clear.

Being an audiophile I have no quips whatsoever about the production. I'm so glad that Nick guy is manning the board and apparently continuing to help keeping the guys fresh and inspired with his enthusiasm that all of us share. SWEET!!

Can't wait for the rest of the album. This album might as well have been called Anacondas and Archers cus the sound is so much bigger meaner and the guys are firing on all cylinders.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have mentioned the vocal melodies a bit in this thread. I think that vocal melodies in both of these songs are poor. The playing is awesome and the lyrics are great but they are simply not good songs. Can you honestly ever see Jacob Moon being able to cover them?

Rush really need to work on song writing ability and only release the 8 best melodies they can write. Thats how we will really get another Moving Pictures quality album.

QUOTE (Gerxt @ Jun 8 2010, 07:14 AM)
Can you honestly ever see Jacob Moon being able to cover them?

wtf.gif

Are you serious? Why the hell should we care if Jacob Moon can cover these songs?

All I care about is that RUSH can play them, and that they kick major ass.

Check and Check. yes.gif

QUOTE (Gerxt @ Jun 8 2010, 04:14 AM)
People have mentioned the vocal melodies a bit in this thread. I think that vocal melodies in both of these songs are poor. The playing is awesome and the lyrics are great but they are simply not good songs. Can you honestly ever see Jacob Moon being able to cover them?
Rush really need to work on song writing ability and only release the 8 best melodies they can write. Thats how we will really get another Moving Pictures quality album.

If we haven't gotten another album of the quality of what they were doing in the early 80's by now, we aren't likely to. We just have to enjoy them for who they are now if we can.

QUOTE (Gerxt @ Jun 8 2010, 07:14 AM)

Not every Rush song lends itself to a Jacob Moon cover. These two new songs aren't the type of songs he would cover anyway -- they're too heavy, dense and bombastic, and they were meant to be that way. He probably wouldn't cover "Stick It Out" or "Driven" for the same reasons. "Subdivisions" is kinda weird too, but it's much simpler in structure with a basic chord progression that allows for a nice vocal melody.

It's not like the boys forgot how to write melodies. There are songs from the past two studio albums that could be covered that way. About half of VT and a lot of S&A have the kind of melodicism and flow that someone like Jacob could work with. But Rush also likes to write heavy stuff that goes outside the box. That's why we call them Rush, and not Bryan Adams.

QUOTE (Gerxt @ Jun 8 2010, 06:14 AM)

Ive mentioned my displeasure with Geddy's vocal melodies on their past few albums.

It was something I used to always admire about him, his natural ability to write great melodies, and that's really changed.

But what I'm starting to think is this may be intentional, to try to create a more modern sound, something different than what he used to do, which was write very catchy melodies on so many albums, to me it was really his greatest strength, above the actual vocal ability and even his bass playing. You can play very simple bass lines, but if the vocal melodies are great, I couldnt care less what the bass player is doing. Maybe he is just trying to purposefully create something that does sound weird, not overly catchy.

I could be wrong about that, and maybe he just doesnt have it in him to write catchy melodies anymore, but if it is done on purpose, well you cant fault the guy for that, even if you dont like it. He may just be trying to do something different.

I think the melodies are a little better on BU2B, but not much, and there's hardly any vocal melodies at all on Caravan. I think if the vocals had a little more hook to them, I wouldnt have nearly as many problems with that song as I do. But its obvious that many people either arent looking for catchy vocal melodies, or actually like the way they are, which is fine too.

Im a sucker for great vocal melodies. I can like songs without them, but then the music better be catchy then.

Who the Christ-on-a-cracker is Jacob Moon...and why should I care that he'd be able to cover Caravan or not??? I can't cover it either. I'm sure the world is broken up by it too. wink.gif Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 8 2010, 08:54 AM)
Who the Christ-on-a-cracker is Jacob Moon...and why should I care that he'd be able to cover Caravan or not??? I can't cover it either. I'm sure the world is broken up by it too. wink.gif

He did an incredible cover of Subdivions by himself on a rooftop in Canada I believe, and he got an email from Geddy himself about it.

But you can tell by listening to him that he is more of a vocal melody kind of singer, so Subdivisions fit that well, I couldnt see him being able to cover either of these songs well, but who knows, its possible I guess but he'd have to change them up a lot.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2010, 08:53 AM)

Ive mentioned my displeasure with Geddy's vocal melodies on their past few albums.

It was something I used to always admire about him, his natural ability to write great melodies, and that's really changed.

But what I'm starting to think is this may be intentional, to try to create a more modern sound, something different than what he used to do, which was write very catchy melodies on so many albums, to me it was really his greatest strength, above the actual vocal ability and even his bass playing. You can play very simple bass lines, but if the vocal melodies are great, I couldnt care less what the bass player is doing. Maybe he is just trying to purposefully create something that does sound weird, not overly catchy.

I could be wrong about that, and maybe he just doesnt have it in him to write catchy melodies anymore, but if it is done on purpose, well you cant fault the guy for that, even if you dont like it. He may just be trying to do something different.

I think the melodies are a little better on BU2B, but not much, and there's hardly any vocal melodies at all on Caravan. I think if the vocals had a little more hook to them, I wouldnt have nearly as many problems with that song as I do. But its obvious that many people either arent looking for catchy vocal melodies, or actually like the way they are, which is fine too.

Im a sucker for great vocal melodies. I can like songs without them, but then the music better be catchy then.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't find the lack of vocal melody as detrimental when taken in context of the song as a whole. Caravan is not Geddy's best work voice-wise, on that we agree, but taken as part of a whole, the vocals enhance what is going on musically in the song, if that makes any sense...

Snakes and Arrows had some great melodies on it.

Now are you talking about melodies...or flat out hooks?

Working Then Angels

Far Cry

The Larger Bowl

Spindrift

TWTWB

All those have really good vocal melodies. It is a major strength of Geddy. And his vocals are leaps and bounds from his 70's work. Starting with Permanent Waves he became a true lead vocalist.....and has improved on every album. Vocally he has never been better live.

So we get 2 new songs.....and yes I agree on Caravan the melody is a bit lacking. The verse music is pretty vanilla....but what's going on underneath with the chops...it's out of control and I am glad the vocals do not stumble that groove...that is a chops type of song all the way.

BU2B....the melody is there. The verses are aggresive and the chorus melody is quite distinct and I can't stop singing it in my head (All is for the best...etc etc) I love it.

I can't pass judgement until the whole album is done. But on these 2 tunes I have nothing but sheer excitment for what's next.

The songs keep getting better and better with each and every listen.

That's a great sign.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 8 2010, 09:37 AM)

Snakes and Arrows had some great melodies on it.

Now are you talking about melodies...or flat out hooks?

Working Then Angels

Far Cry

The Larger Bowl

Spindrift

TWTWB

All those have really good vocal melodies. It is a major strength of Geddy. And his vocals are leaps and bounds from his 70's work. Starting with Permanent Waves he became a true lead vocalist.....and has improved on every album. Vocally he has never been better live.

So we get 2 new songs.....and yes I agree on Caravan the melody is a bit lacking. The verse music is pretty vanilla....but what's going on underneath with the chops...it's out of control and I am glad the vocals do not stumble that groove...that is a chops type of song all the way.

BU2B....the melody is there. The verses are aggresive and the chorus melody is quite distinct and I can't stop singing it in my head (All is for the best...etc etc) I love it.

I can't pass judgement until the whole album is done. But on these 2 tunes I have nothing but sheer excitment for what's next.

The songs keep getting better and better with each and every listen.

That's a great sign.

Well said Todem. Agree with all of this. trink39.gif

Within 2 listens, I already had the chorus to BU2B stuck in my head (not a bad thing at all). So the hook is definitely there.

I also find myself stuck on "I can't stop thinking big. . ." from Caravan - but arguably that is the only aspect of that tune that I might consider to be a hook. Also not bad - I think Rush would fall into the mainstream pop trap if they tried too hard to work out a catchy melody that would have their songs on everyone's lips.

trenken brings up an interesting point - perhaps they didn't fall short so much as try a different direction.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 8 2010, 09:46 AM)
Within 2 listens, I already had the chorus to BU2B stuck in my head (not a bad thing at all). So the hook is definitely there.
I also find myself stuck on "I can't stop thinking big. . ." from Caravan - but arguably that is the only aspect of that tune that I might consider to be a hook. Also not bad - I think Rush would fall into the mainstream pop trap if they tried too hard to work out a catchy melody that would have their songs on everyone's lips.

trenken brings up an interesting point - perhaps they didn't fall short so much as try a different direction.

That's a good point. I think we'll need to hear the entire body of this album to see just where it is they're going. We're left to analyze essentially what's likely 1/6 of the total. It'd be like trying to figure out all of S&A based on The Larger Bowl and Far Cry alone.

I think both songs stand up well on their own, and being of the mp3 variety, they aren't aurally displeasing to my ears.

I think they lack a little bit of the dynamics of S&A, but I just wondering if it's the compressed sounding nature of the medium...CD release will tell, bit I don't feel like they are as badly produced as Vapour Trails was...(did anyone ever remix that bugger??)

I would really like to hear them in context with the entire album....I've never really judged Rush songs on their individual merit, but would rather hear them in context of the entire album since I am an ancient album fan as opposed to a single fan....and also reading that these are "singles" IS there an album version that differs?

Looking forward to more music! (soon!!!!) But I give it new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

Sorry, I can't just let this one go. This is the line of the year.

Judging a Rush song by whether Jacob Moon can cover it.....Holy Crap, we've jumped the shark and Youtube has officialy taken over the world

Thanks for the laugh

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 8 2010, 10:24 AM)

Judging a Rush song by whether Jacob Moon can cover it.....Holy Crap, we've jumped the shark and Youtube has officialy taken over the world

Thanks for the laugh

biggrin.gif +2

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 8 2010, 11:24 AM)

Thanks for the laugh

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Cyclops @ Jun 8 2010, 09:23 AM)

I get where you're coming from, but I don't find the lack of vocal melody as detrimental when taken in context of the song as a whole. Caravan is not Geddy's best work voice-wise, on that we agree, but taken as part of a whole, the vocals enhance what is going on musically in the song, if that makes any sense...

Perhaps Geddy felt a simpler vocal line would serve as a good stylistic counterpoint to the busier instrument arrangement.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 8 2010, 09:46 AM)

Yes thats what I was getting at. For so many albums, he's really been among the best in my opinion at delivering lines the best way they could be, especially with some of those lyrics Neil writes.

So when I listen to Vapor Trails, S&A, and these 2 new songs, I dont hear very catchy melodies like he was writing in the 80's, and in some songs in the 90's.

Im not sure its that he cant do it anymore, or doesnt want to put the effort in like he used to now that he's older, but rather he's purposefully trying to avoid writing super catchy hooks, he's trying to sound a bit more strange.

There's a lot of bands doing that now, but its a tough transition for some people, myself included who is a total sucker for a great hook. Its hard to let that go, especially when you're used to the kind of stuff he used to write, but its obvious he's into it, so thats all that really matters. He's doing what he wants to do, not what us old Rush dogs are used to. In that sense its a good thing, but for me personally, ill always miss it.

Why the flark is Jacob Moon and why the fleck do we care?

I can't judge the 'vocal melodies' because I can't sing. They sound great to me. Emotion backing up the lyrics which become more memorable with every listen.

Did you want to articulate why the vocal melodies are "poor". Start by giving us some background on why you're qualified to criticize vocal melodies.

I think a good example is that band Muse. So many people compare them to Rush, and they're very popular. I have all their albums, but im actually not a big fan.

They're doing something similar, not writing super catchy hooks, and it works for their fans because thats all they know of muse, they've grown used that, and grew to like it.

Its much different with Rush, they've covered so many decades and styles that if you grow to like something about them when you're young, for some of us it gets harder and harder to like the newer work.

I like a huge array of music and bands, I listen to Rush for the best melodies and lyrics money can buy, well when they make an effort to do something so vastly different, its hard for some of us to really grow to love it. I can like it, and I do like BU2B, but I dont love it. I wouldnt say its anywhere near as epic as what they used to do, and thats fine, I never expected them to last this long anyway, so its very hard to really complain about it.

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Jun 8 2010, 10:55 AM)

I can't judge the 'vocal melodies' because I can't sing. They sound great to me. Emotion backing up the lyrics which become more memorable with every listen.

Did you want to articulate why the vocal melodies are "poor". Start by giving us some background on why you're qualified to criticize vocal melodies.

Vocal melody is just the way you deliver a line. Many bands that go on to become the biggest bands have singers that have exceptional ability to write a melody that just works well and is very pleasing to listen to.

The truth is many singers arent that great at it. There's so many bands where the guy might technically be a great singer, but isnt great at writing melodies. And others where the guy is a shitty singer, but can still deliver a good melody. It's an acquired ability, natural for some ppl, and some never get it at all.

Geddy was really great at it, starting with Permanent Waves, and even some earlier songs as well of course. Its the way you shift your voice over the music, to make a great melody it has to be done a certain way, he doesnt do that as much anymore, and the delivery can sound a bit more generic, less adventurous.

Thats not to say what he's doing now is bad, it's just different, and to some it is bad, just depends on your taste.

Know what I mean?

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2010, 10:58 AM)
I think a good example is that band Muse. So many people compare them to Rush, and they're very popular. I have all their albums, but im actually not a big fan.

They're doing something similar, not writing super catchy hooks, and it works for their fans because thats all they know of muse, they've grown used that, and grew to like it.

Its much different with Rush, they've covered so many decades and styles that if you grow to like something about them when you're young, for some of us it gets harder and harder to like the newer work.

I like a huge array of music and bands, I listen to Rush for the best melodies and lyrics money can buy, well when they make an effort to do something so vastly different, its hard for some of us to really grow to love it. I can like it, and I do like BU2B, but I dont love it. I wouldnt say its anywhere near as epic as what they used to do, and thats fine, I never expected them to last this long anyway, so its very hard to really complain about it.

I'm a big fan of both bands and they do have a LOT of similarities. Muse has kind of filled in the Queen void for me. They definitely have a more 'theatrical' sound than Rush, but there are similarities beyond just having three members and a four-lettered name.

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Jun 8 2010, 10:55 AM)

Well, he qualified based on the assumption he has ears.

The vocal melodies on these tunes are limited by the framework of the music around them. Both songs (especially Caravan) have a lot going on musically, with lots of riff changes, time changes (double time, half time), etc. When you've got so much going on musically, the tradeoff is that the vocals need to fit into that structure and won't be as free flowing. Having said that, there are still some nice vocal moments in these tunes, especially the bridge of BU2B. wub.gif

Funny, last time out Rush delibrately wrote a vocal-oriented song with The Larger Bowl, and people ripped the music as being "too simple," "sounds like country," "I could have written that guitar part," etc. wink.gif Go figure.

Edited by PariahDog