OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 3 2010, 11:42 AM)
I agree with many that Rush aren't particularly groundbreaking.  The first album had a heavy Zep influence, their prog period echoed prog that was already around.  Their prog/pop period, snyth heavy power pop, grunge, back to basic hard rock, etc. - they take existing genres and modify them to their own sound.  What they DO have going is they make the genres so much their own and do it so uniquely and so often better than everyone else that it seems groundbreaking, but it's not - they just do what they do in a very original way.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2010, 10:37 AM)
Huh????? You have any idea how many bands were doing prog music in the 60s and early 70s, before Rush even came out?

To me Rush was one of the best at it, but they sure as hell had nothing to do with the development of it.

C'mon, guys, give Rush little bit of credit! confused13.gif

Rush basically pioneered PROGRESSIVE HARD ROCK. That is, using progressive elements (odd time signatures, synthesizers, extended song forms, instrumental prowess) within the context of hard rock/heavy rock.

Of course Yes, Genesis, ELP and others were doing progressive rock first, but they all had a mostly keyboard-based, "symphonic" or "art rock" sound. Rush took these ideas and melded them with the Zeppelin-influenced heavy blues-rock sound all the way back on FBN. They refined this approach through the 70s, and became arguably the best prog hard rock band by the time of PeW and MP. Then, bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica picked up these prog influences from Rush and went on to do the prog metal thing.

But I think it's pretty clear that Rush was one of the first to do progressive heavy rock. King Crimson was also doing heavy prog in the early 70s, but who else, really? And Rush was able to make it more commercialy accessible, especially by the time of PeW and MP.

Jeez, how quickly we forget... confused13.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2010, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 3 2010, 12:19 PM)
One thing I will say (and to me it's sort of a groundbreaking type thing)...I think Rush is one of the few bands and one of the first I remember to get to their status and level with very minimal help from radio or the music industry in general.  They did it on their terms in their own way...critics be damned.  They kept true to themselves and their fans.  They might change to become more in tune with the times, but they still do it in their own way.  And the fact that 3 such virtuoso musically gifted people got together in the first place...well, it's just a Sweet Miracle (to borrow from VT).

The same can be said for Metallica...they became HUGE in the Mtv era when everyone else was making it through images and videos. Metallica stuck to their guns and didn't even make a video until "One" off Justice, but they were already huge at that point...just by touring and recording. I repect Metallica a lot for simliar reasons I respect Rush

Agreed. I respect Metallica as well for alot of the same reasons. They also always state how Rush was a huge influence on them.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 3 2010, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 3 2010, 11:19 AM)
One thing I will say (and to me it's sort of a groundbreaking type thing)...I think Rush is one of the few bands and one of the first I remember to get to their status and level with very minimal help from radio or the music industry in general.  They did it on their terms in their own way...critics be damned.  They kept true to themselves and their fans.  They might change to become more in tune with the times, but they still do it in their own way.  And the fact that 3 such virtuoso musically gifted people got together in the first place...well, it's just a Sweet Miracle (to borrow from VT).

Now that's a damn fine post.

Thank you -D-Rock-

trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2010, 11:54 AM)
Not only is it fantastic, but ppl recognize that, it sold over 12 million copies.

I don't think D.M. came close to 12 million albums

You're right actually, wikipedia says its 6. I got it confused with a wikipedia page I was looking at for another band. Still 6 million is pretty sick for a band thats been around as long as they have playing thrash metal.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2010, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2010, 11:54 AM)
Not only is it fantastic, but ppl recognize that, it sold over 12 million copies.

I don't think D.M. came close to 12 million albums

You're right actually, wikipedia says its 6. I got it confused with a wikipedia page I was looking at for another band. Still 6 million is pretty sick for a band thats been around as long as they have playing thrash metal.

True but they stopped playing Thrash Metal after.. And Justice laugh.gif . I do really like the new one ,best for me since Justice

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 3 2010, 01:28 PM)
There are a lot of examples of progressive hard rock prior to and including 1975:

Amon Duul II
High Tide
Quiet Sun
King Crimson
Hawkwind
Semiramis
Ash Ra Tempel
Atomic Rooster
T2
Museo Rosenbach
Uriah Heep

There are more. 

Highly original?  Yes.  Did it better than anyone? Yes.  Popular enough that they were highly influential?  Yes.  Groundbreaking?  Gotta say no.

I mentioned King Crimson, and know of Hawkwind and Uriah Heep. 1022.gif

But, honestly, I have never heard of the others on your list, though I look forward to checking them out. trink39.gif But I would guess that Rush has probably sold more records than all of these bands combined.

So, yes, others were doing progressive heavy rock around the same time. My point was that Rush was the leading progressive hard rock band of the 70s and 80s. And I think they had much more influence over later bands and musicians than King Crimson, Uriah Heep, etc.

BTW, how do you define groundbreaking in this context? The first band chronologically to play a 7/8 riff on a Les Paul through a Marshall? wink.gif I do think Rush broke new ground, because they spearheaded heavy prog through the 70s and had the most success with it.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 3 2010, 07:54 PM)
Also...I just wanted to add this point, but during Alex's guitar solo on Caravan, does anyone else hear some Power Windows influence??

I dunno why...but I hear a PoW tone on that solo. Am I crazy?  wacko.gif

I do hear some Counterparts/PRS influences, less that of PW though tongue.gif

Edited by Vicious

Oh, and after 4 solid days of totally absorbing these 2 songs, I have to tell you that I am absolutely blown away.

I was a little concerned about Caravan because I dont usually love a Rush song the first time I listen to it, the way I did with that one, was afraid it would wear off, but quite the opposite. This songs kicks some major ass. Rush has always been at their best (In my opinion) when Alex is doing some sick riffing, and this song is really sick from Alex. He totally kills it.

BU2B was one I wasnt digging as much at first, but as is typical with amost Rush stuff, this one has really grown on me. I really love the melodic middle section...Rush has managed to pull off a very heavy song and keep it somewhat melodic.

In closing, these guys are just ridiculous. Pushing 60 and for them to rock like this is just embarrassing to the 20-somethings out there....I really hope these tunes get some airplay and are given a chance, because they're really incredible.

Sorry to get this thread back to it's intended purpose, you may return to your reguarly scheduled bantering trink39.gif

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2010, 05:06 PM)
In closing, these guys are just ridiculous. Pushing 60 and for them to rock like this is just embarrassing to the 20-somethings out there....I really hope these tunes get some airplay and are given a chance, because they're really incredible.

On this, I think everyone can agree. 2.gif trink39.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 3 2010, 02:08 PM)

On this, I think everyone can agree. 2.gif trink39.gif yes.gif

I totally agree!!! trink39.gif

Oh, and after 4 solid days of totally absorbing these 2 songs, I have to tell you that I am absolutely blown away.

I was a little concerned about Caravan because I dont usually love a Rush song the first time I listen to it, the way I did with that one, was afraid it would wear off, but quite the opposite. This songs kicks some major ass. Rush has always been at their best (In my opinion) when Alex is doing some sick riffing, and this song is really sick from Alex. He totally kills it.

BU2B was one I wasnt digging as much at first, but as is typical with amost Rush stuff, this one has really grown on me. I really love the melodic middle section...Rush has managed to pull off a very heavy song and keep it somewhat melodic.

Sorry to get this thread back to it's intended purpose, you may return to your reguarly scheduled bantering trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

Absolutely agree man!

These guys really are unreal IMO. I know that term "chemistry" has been constantly thrown around everytime Rush is talked about. But seriously, it couldn't be more accurate.

Even now...the guys continue to blow me away as they approach 20 albums together. In my view, they can do no wrong.

Even the songs that take me awhile to warm up to...I always get there eventually, which is crazy. There is a "magic" that appears everytime these 3 guys enter the studio, which most bands would kill to have. Just awesome!

I agree though...both songs are awesome, and while it took me a few days to "get" BU2B, I finally "got" it. Awesome tune...can't wait for the tour, and especially for the new full album next year! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 3 2010, 05:00 PM)
Has anyone mentioned that sick little chordal thing Geddy does over the main riff at the end of Caravan.

me likey. smile.gif

Yeah, I picked that up on about my 4th listen.

It's like the boys made a point on this song from start to finish to really just rock out with all their chops loud and proud

Caravan and BU2B are HOME RUNS. Could not get enough of Caravan today. The only problem is remaining patient for the rest of the album to be released.

2.gif

Edited by Netboy

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 3 2010, 10:56 PM)
It's interesting to me how BU2B was the grower for some folks. I took to that one more immediately. (realizes we're all different and all, etc)

trink39.gif

I still haven't totally gotten into it. I may never, who knows, but that's all right.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 31 2010, 11:54 PM)
There will be some serious air drumming to Caravan at the shows.

Yeah some serious missing the chops when no one can get it right.