1990's the LOST DECADE

hazlnut

Per the CBC interview we already know there will be one song from Test For Echo. I for one would be happy if that was the ONLY song from the 1990's.

Ironically, the album that led into the 1990's was HOLD YOUR FIRE -- a commentary on the artists struggle to continue to produce meaningful material... Perhaps NP sensed the coming decade of Rush muzak. Hold some fire, indeed:

First, the Presto bunnies. (yeah, I know Presto was Nov. 1998--close enough)

Followed by that hip-hop skeleton, dancing and rapping his way into our collective cringe...

And then came....the other two I never bought. I think one had nuts&bolts and other had a pile of rocks.

Look people, don't be hatin', but I remember Alex describing the feeling they want people to have when they hear their songs--

2.gif

A physical emotional reaction to hard rock music. I don't get that with the songs produced 1989-1996. Interesting music, thought-provoking lyrics, no doubt. But no rush. No impulse to jump out of my seat and scream, cheer, clap to the beat and play air instruments... Maybe I need to give them an honest listen. But that skeleton just creeps me out--Douche Chills.

Anyway... I'd be happy with a concentration of songs from the golden years '75-'85 + the rebirth years, 2002-onward... Anyone else?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I respect your opinions, and believe me, I am sure you are not alone on this board in thinking that way.

However, I will not be joining that crusade personally.

I am a fan of all their songs...which I know is not a common occurance for many people, and that's okay. Even so, I think there are some truly spectacular songs from the 90's period, that I not only love, but consider important to their catelog. I dig what they did through the 90's.

Rush is about progressing, moving forward, and not just sticking with past formulas. I think they kept that in check throughout the 90's, and while I know it wasn't everyone's 'cup of tea', I certainly enjoy all of these albums. (Hell...everyone hates on the RTB 'rap' section, and I LOVE that part. Maybe I'm just crazy. wacko.gif )

Anyways, in terms of this year's tour, there are a whole bunch of songs that I would love to see live from this period that I have yet to:

Chain Lightning

Scars

Available Light

Where's My Thing?

Neurotica

Stick It Out

Cut To The Chase

Double Agent

Test For Echo

Time and Motion

Virtuality

Limbo

Any one of these songs would make me happy to see live. yes.gif

HYF was the last flawless album.

Presto sucks, apart from a few good songs to mention

"Show Don't Tell"

"The Pass"

"Presto"

"Available Light"

RTB, not much better, a few nice

"Dreamline"

"Bravado"

"Where's My Thing? (Part IV, "Gangster of Boats" Trilogy)"

"Ghost of a Chance"

Of course this is not Hemispheres, but a band has to change, and they certainly want to. The above mentioned worked out quiet weel, the rest didn't, with an absolute no. 1 which is "Neurotica - whoooo whoooo whooo" banghead.gif

Counterparts was a pleasant surprise though, only a few minor slips as well as TFE.

So, the 90's IMHO

QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 28 2010, 03:39 PM)
Considering that the 90s is my favorite era of the band, I won't be joining you either.

Maybe you're too young. The era in which you come in contact with Rush probably will be your favorite and it'll always stay that way.

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 28 2010, 09:45 AM)
Considering that the 90s is my favorite era of the band, I won't be joining you either.

Maybe you're too young. The era in which you come in contact with Rush probably will be your favorite and it'll always stay that way.

Hm.. my favourite period is Hemispheres - Signals and I was born in 91'...

Love all their music. But we all have favorites. I was hoping for nothing past 1987....not because I don't enjoy the post 80's but because we have been hammered by it in previous tours. I am hoping for a true Time Machine experience in being transported back to the golden age of their catalog 76-87.

However I will not be dissapointed to hear the high quality tracks from the 90's. I don't think they will play too much though from this peroid. Maybe one tune from Presto, one from RTB, one from CP and one from T4E. I think they ignore VT and maybe play 2 tops from Snakes.

So I think we get 6 tunes tops from the post 87 peroid. I hope they dig deep though for the CP tune and Presto tune.

I disagree about the 90's being a lost decade. They gained a whole new segment of fan's in the 90's and we can thank Roll the Bones for that. That album drew in a bunch of new Generation Y Rush fans. They wrote some brilliant songs during the 90's:

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Available Light

Dreamline

Bravado

Ghost of a Chance

Wheres My Thing

Roll The Bones (yes..this song rocks)

Animate

Cold Fire

Alien Shore

Cut to the Chase

Leave That Thing Alone

Double Agent

Test for Echo

Totem

Driven

Time and Motion

Absolute top notch Rush right there.

Edited by Todem

My favorite era is probably the '80s and I was born in 1993. That said, I like Roll the Bones, love Counterparts, and like Test for Echo.

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 28 2010, 09:45 AM)

Totally agreed. The first rush album I owned was Test for Echo. It remains one of my favourites to date even while many call it Rush's worst.

I for one am glad that it worked out that way. It allowed me to explore the "back catalogue" with an open mind rather than dwell on the fact that Rush sounds nothing like they did in 1978.

That being said, I'm finding myself being guilty of that very point when it comes to bands that got their start in the early-mid 90's.

Love Dream Theater, but hate NEW Dream Theater.

Red Hot Chili Peppers... U2... Metallica... the list goes on.

With each of those bands, I wish I could go back in time, and ignore them until around 2004. Then buy a new release before delving into the older stuff.

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 28 2010, 10:45 AM)

Probably, but I don't really analyze it too much. I like what I like, never found the need to justify why.

Counter, Roll, Test....... all good in my book. I grew up listening to Caress, 2112, Farewell. I appreciative the distinctive sound of each era. If it is a minority to like all RUSH, then I proudly walk with that group.

QUOTE (Todem @ May 28 2010, 10:08 AM)
Love all their music. But we all have favorites. I was hoping for nothing past 1987....not because I don't enjoy the post 80's but because we have been hammered by it in previous tours. I am hoping for a true Time Machine experience in being transported back to the golden age of their catalog 76-87.

However I will not be dissapointed to hear the high quality tracks from the 90's. I don't think they will play too much though from this peroid. Maybe one tune from Presto, one from RTB, one from CP and one from T4E. I think they ignore VT and maybe play 2 tops from Snakes.

So I think we get 6 tunes tops from the post 87 peroid. I hope they dig deep though for the CP tune and Presto tune.

I disagree about the 90's being a lost decade. They gained a whole new segment of fan's in the 90's and we can thank Roll the Bones for that. That album drew in a bunch of new Generation Y Rush fans. They wrote some brilliant songs during the 90's:

Show Don't Tell
The Pass
Available Light
Dreamline
Bravado
Ghost of a Chance
Wheres My Thing
Animate
Cold Fire
Alien Shore
Cut to the Chase
Leave That Thing Alone
Double Agent
Test for Echo
Totem
Driven
Time and Motion

Couldn't agree more Todem!!!

Thanks for the responses.

I agree with the notion that the 90's produced some good Rush albums with good songs.

Good = adequate. satisfactory or acceptable in quality.

It's Rush. It's all Good.

But with One Little Victory and Far Cry -- they rediscovered that Great Rush sound IMO. Music that provokes a physical emotional reaction.

Maybe I'll pick up those CDs and give them a listen.

I love 90s Rush, and yes, I am young, but their 80s era is still my absolute favorite.

Counterparts is a fantastic album. Yes, RTB has some duds and so does Presto, but I still love both those albums.

Also, the first Rush I started listening to was the older stuff, and I worked my way to the newer stuff, so I don't know about that "young" theory.

I was introduced to Rush in 1996... the first albums I heard were Test for Echo, RTB and Moving Pictures. Talk about a difference in sound... I grew to appreciate all of them though. I think my fav songs at the time were Tom Sawyer, Dreamline and Driven. In fact those were the only songs I knew when I went to my first concert lol

QUOTE (hazlnut @ May 28 2010, 08:30 AM)
Per the CBC interview we already know there will be one song from Test For Echo. I for one would be happy if that was the ONLY song from the 1990's.

They said Stick It Out from Counterparts. I don't remember hearing anything about TFE.

But I do agree on your other points. Especially about Presto.

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ May 28 2010, 10:31 AM)
QUOTE (Todem @ May 28 2010, 10:08 AM)

Show Don't Tell
The Pass
Available Light
Dreamline
Bravado
Ghost of a Chance
Wheres My Thing
Animate
Cold Fire
Alien Shore
Cut to the Chase
Leave That Thing Alone
Double Agent
Test for Echo
Totem
Driven
Time and Motion

Couldn't agree more Todem!!!

Old Guy here agrees with you.. Nuf-said... Roll the Bones.. trink39.gif

Although Rush's 90's material may not have lived up to your standards,

I personally think that Counterparts (the nuts & bolts album) blows away Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows. That's right........I said it!

1022.gif

QUOTE (syd11 @ May 28 2010, 03:18 PM)

I personally think that Counterparts (the nuts & bolts album) blows away Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows.

I do too.

I wish I could find more to appreciate about the albums from the 90s (and I have tried) but I just cant. In my opinion, there are a few good songs here and there, but for the most part, Rush produced very little from Presto through T4E that I can appreciate. In contrast, I can very much appreciate nearly everything they produced prior to Presto and after T4E. Unlike many on this board, SnA is one of my favorite Rush albums. For me, the biggest problem with the 90s material is not the music but the lyrics. It seems so many of the songs consist of just one cheesy cliche after another, many of them are downright embarrassing to listen to.

QUOTE (syd11 @ May 28 2010, 09:18 PM)
Although Rush's 90's  material may not have lived up to your standards,
I personally think that Counterparts (the nuts & bolts album) blows away Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows. That's right........I said it!
1022.gif

Good point, certainly Vapor Trails

So that makes 3 of us, we must unite and form a union laugh.gif

Edited by LERXST69