Grunge vs. Hair

Tick

Hair metal or Grunge?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Hair metal or Grunge?

• Grunge
    • Hair

If you think simplistic chords are better than blazing, intricate guitar solos then you don't even deserve to call yourself a music fan.

What simplistic chords are you talking about? The major and minor ones that contain the notes that make up all of our music and Vito bratta's solos? You don't know what you're talking about.

I think basic chords and riffs make a more powerful and lasting impression on most music fans and people. The opening chords to "Smells Like Teen Spirits" got more people to pick up a guitar than any solo in a White Lion song.

Theres nothing wrong with a simple riff, it's only when a band does nothing but put out songs with simple riffs. That's what the main problem, for me, was with most "modern rock" from 2006-2012 (bands like Creed and Nickelback). That and the godawful deep, whiny vocals that 100% ripped off of Eddie Vedder.

I totally agree with the vocal thing .. It was bad enough hearing Vedder's faux tortured crap, but now, it become as bad as modern country

Other than the bands mentioned and adding some Stone Temple Pilots what are some other bands doing the faux tortured crap? Honestly.

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

The shitlist goes on and on

I dislike Staind and Saving Abel but don't know the rest.

But I like AIC the most. And Soundgarden I was just enjoying yesterday.

I only like PJ's debut and bits and pieces of Nirvana.

I dislike most hair metal music and would choose AIC or Soundgarden over any of them.

fraroc speaks of elitists speaking against hair metal bands but his words have easily been the most elitist of all in this thread. Irony.

Oh please, the fact alone that I'm defending one of the most maligned genres of music makes me anything but.

Right right...

If you think simplistic chords are better than blazing, intricate guitar solos then you don't even deserve to call yourself a music fan.

Oh and you edited your post to add "maligned"? You're doing a great job maligning grunge.

What simplistic chords are you talking about? The major and minor ones that contain the notes that make up all of our music and Vito bratta's solos? You don't know what you're talking about.

I think basic chords and riffs make a more powerful and lasting impression on most music fans and people. The opening chords to "Smells Like Teen Spirits" got more people to pick up a guitar than any solo in a White Lion song.

Theres nothing wrong with a simple riff, it's only when a band does nothing but put out songs with simple riffs. That's what the main problem, for me, was with most "modern rock" from 2006-2012 (bands like Creed and Nickelback). That and the godawful deep, whiny vocals that 100% ripped off of Eddie Vedder.

I totally agree with the vocal thing .. It was bad enough hearing Vedder's faux tortured crap, but now, it become as bad as modern country

Other than the bands mentioned and adding some Stone Temple Pilots what are some other bands doing the faux tortured crap? Honestly.

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

I dislike most hair metal music and would choose AIC or Soundgarden over any of them.

fraroc speaks of elitists speaking against hair metal bands but his words have easily been the most elitist of all in this thread. Irony.

Oh please, the fact alone that I'm defending one of the most maligned genres of music makes me anything but.

Right right...

Oh and you edited your post to add "maligned"? You're doing a great job maligning grunge.

Look at the ratings right above this topic. Grunge already gets an excess amounts of praise while Hair gets constantly beat down.

I don't think one person criticizing Grunge makes it a "maligned" genre.

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Right right...

Look at the ratings right above this topic. Grunge already gets an excess amounts of praise while Hair gets constantly beat down.

You're doing a great job.

And your earlier comment on people saying Cobain is better than Vitto, who really says that? Did you go to some Nirvana or grunge forum to hear it?

Really, you DON'T see your own elitist words in this??!!???

Aside from a few grunge bands that i mentioned I don't even like most of the others anyway. So I'm not even defending grunge actually. I'm not ripping hair metal for that matter either.

I'm saying you sound like an elitist even though you seem to detest elitists.

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Right right...

And your earlier comment on people saying Cobain is better than Vitto, who really says that? Did you go to some Nirvana or grunge forum to hear it?

Aside from a few grunge bands that i mentioned I don't even like most of the others anyway. So I'm not even defending grunge actually. I'm not ripping hair metal for that matter either.

Okay, maybe I do sound like an elitist, sue me for hypocrisy.

Im just frustrated with all the stupid f***ing hate that hair metal gets.

Edited by fraroc

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Right right...

You're too stuck in genres and what others think of music you like.

I'm an equal opportunity hater.

Staind and Poison are boring to me. They're just there and might as well be elevator music with the volume raised.

But then I can find pleasure in some Quiet Riot, Tesla, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana. I don't see why you get all hot and horny about it all.

While it is possible for anyone to get shit, glam metal fans seem to be the brunt or target of more than their share .. Even within the ranks of metal fans ..

I can remember going to see Faster Pussycat and Pretty Boy Floyd at L'amour in 1989 ... L'amour was a very popular club in Brooklyn for bands, and I remember getting lost driving there, and the only way I found the place was by following the people who were all dolled up walking down the sidewalks ..

Anyways, the guys from the band Overkill were standing outside giving shit to the fans that were going to the show .. It was insane .. Here was another band - who always played there - and you'd think maybe they'd just stay the f**k away ( I guess supporting other bands was out of the question ), but they are saying shit to all the people going in ..

It started to get ugly and I went inside with my girlfriend, but this is the type of thing people had (have) to endure just because they enjoy fun music ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Right right...

seriously does it really ruin your enjoyment of Hair Metal knowing i think it sucks?

like what you like. i'm not gonna stop you.

just do not tell people they don't deserve to be a music fan because of it.

Mick

• Like 1

and your the type of music fan that pisses me off.

I know you enjoy hair metal.......but now you're being out and out idiotic.

Mick

Okay, I admit I was an asshole in my last post.

But sometimes you get tired of people constantly trying to argue about how much better of a guitarist Kurt Cobain was compared to someone like Vito Bratta.

It's called personal taste.

• Like 1

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Right right...

seriously does it really ruin your enjoyment of Hair Metal knowing i think it sucks?

Mick

It's not just you, it's the fact that the genre gets the most shit on by the metal community for the stupidest reasons. For example, how everybody makes fun of the fashion of 80s hair bands as opposed to actually putting a pair of headphones on and listening to the music.

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Right right...

Mick

It's not just you, it's the fact that the genre gets the most shit on by the metal community for the stupidest reasons. For example, how everybody makes fun of the fashion of 80s hair bands as opposed to actually putting a pair of headphones on and listening to the music.

Often the music is worse than the hair

• Like 1

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Right right...

Mick

Ok again i pose the question.........who cares?

do you enjoy it?

does it give you pleasure?

than buddy........you've won.

listen to it. Dance badly to it. sing out loud.

Grow your hair and slap on the makeup.

and don't give a damn about the people

I love toto. most of the people on here and in the US don't. i couldn't care less. i don't care. and you know what. I'm content as a pig in shit.

You will have a much happier listening experiance too.

Mick

• Like 2

Daughtry

Staind

Shinedown

Hinder

Saving Abel

Theory Of A Deadman

Finger Eleven

Right right...

Mick

Ok again i pose the question.........who cares?

do you enjoy it?

does it give you pleasure?

than buddy........you've won.

listen to it. Dance badly to it. sing out loud.

Grow your hair and slap on the makeup.

and don't give a damn about the people

I love toto. most of the people on here and in the US don't. i couldn't care less. i don't care. and you know what. I'm content as a pig in shit.

You will have a much happier listening experiance too.

Mick

If fraroc learned the meaning of chill he'd understand and see that every member of this forum loves something that is deemed uncool or is unpopular.

"Boo! No one likes Whitesnake like me!"

Try being a massive fan of Trillion, The Juliana Theory, Lacuna Coil, Khoma. TOTO!

I don't get why he starts the same argument over and over.

All I know is that the majority of hair metal sounds as vapid as modern pop at it's worst. Nirvana lacked skill but had drama and raw energy and crazy amounts of charisma. Same goes for the entire nineties scene. Let's face it, every major grunge band had something very special going on, even if you don't like them. Same goes for eighties cult bands like Pixies, Rites Of Spring, Jesus And Mary Chain, Husker Du. Good grief if you listen to fraroc you'd think hair metal was the only thing that happened in the eighties! Grunge was born from the underground and bands that lead to the explosion of the sound Nirvana exploited sowed their seeds all through the eighties.

Problem with hair metal is...make a mix CD...and try and convince me it isn't all the same band with revolving frontman. Even then...mkst bands had the same sounding vocals.

I mean hey, I love female fronted metal. But even I admit the scene got to that point where everything sounded the same.

He fails to see that by the time hair metal died, people were desperate for a change, excitement, nerve and yeah...vulgarity. As much as I love AOR and some hair metal, I'd much rather go to see a punk rock or hard-core band live. More...nerve. I keep saying that word but yeah, I really do prefer the excitement of grunge to the polish and pomp of hair metal. Being talented doesn't necessarily make you interesting.

• Like 1

Watch Any documentary on metal. and everybody says Hair metal got to the point of strangling listeners. sure it had it's day. and to conceed a point. i do admit for it's time it was a nice fun escape.

but one can only take so much.....before the rot sets in.

and it happened.

and hair metal is/was good for singles.......IMO the albums themselves were less than stellar.

but back to the original point. i love musical theater.

do you think i'll get many rock fans over my house for A Most Happy Fella listening party?

Do you think FRAROC will join me?

shit no.........so get over this fixation Fraroc.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

When I want to cheer up and listen to rock for fun...Dokken, Ratt and the odd hair metal hit are great fun.

But in general I think it's pretty stagnant music.

• Like 1

This is hard.

I feel like Hair has higher highs and lower lows, whereas Grunge is just kind of steady keel.

Ultimately, Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert both came out of the Hair phenominon; so the higher highs win it.

Hair.

Edited by KenJennings

The whole reason why I even used Vito Bratta as an example is because he's the example of a guy who is an unsung guitar hero who chose to sign off from doing anything after White Lion broke up in the early 90s. A lot of people have theorized that the explosion of Grunge and the rise of that "NO GUITAR SOLOS!!" attitude is what dissuaded him from ever participating in the music industry ever again.

I think it's really unfair that a guy who was a somewhat decent rhythm guitar player and a decent singer and songwriter gets all the praise for being a guitar god whilst someone like Vito who was an amazing and expressive lead player, get's written off as just another hair metal shredder. A lot of guitarists I've come across in life actually agree that Vito Bratta was incredibly underrated as a guitarist.

The whole reason why I even used Vito Bratta as an example is because he's the example of a guy who is an unsung guitar hero who chose to sign off from doing anything after White Lion broke up in the early 90s. A lot of people have theorized that the explosion of Grunge and the rise of that "NO GUITAR SOLOS!!" attitude is what dissuaded him from ever participating in the music industry ever again.

I think it's really unfair that a guy who was a somewhat decent rhythm guitar player and a decent singer and songwriter gets all the praise for being a guitar god whilst someone like Vito who was an amazing and expressive lead player, get's written off as just another hair metal shredder. A lot of guitarists I've come across in life actually agree that Vito Bratta was incredibly underrated as a guitarist.

Kurt Cobain gets so much praise because he was at the forefront of a seismic shift in the music INDUSTRY (not in music itself, Nirvana weren't the most original band in the world) which translated into an even more humongous shift in the way people understood and judged rock music which is mostly still the way people see and judge it today. Nirvana was the most important band to shape the future of popular rock and roll since The Beatles, thus, Cobain gets idolized for everything he did in Nirvana even though a lot of folks like me still only see his songwriting skills as anything particularly remarkable. No one in hair metal had such an incredible effect, and no one in hair metal garnered such a universal notoriety (not even Crue). That's why Cobain gets so much praise and Vito doesn't.

Sure maybe it's unfair. It's unfair to me that Queen were almost completely dismissed in America after Hot Space and since then the great 80s Queen material is still vastly less known here than the great 70s Queen material. It's unfair to me that Muse are so much better recognized internationally than in America, where lots of folks only know Madness and Uprising (and not the name of the people who did those songs). It's unfair to me [insert basically anything concerning the Grammy's or the RRHOF].

A lot of things about popular music are unfair, but that's just life, and I accept it. Why? Because at the end of the day I can still listen to whatever music I enjoy without worry, and can make a lifelong hobby of exploring all the music out there that maybe has been unfairly maligned if I so please. Share music you enjoy. Share opinions on music you enjoy and don't enjoy. Debate and discuss the intricacies of music and the history and methodology behind it. But don't waste time lamenting over the unfairness of past; it isn't going to change any time soon.

Maybe instead of complaining about how unfairly maligned hair metal is, you might want to consider simply sharing your love of the music with others who love it and those who are interested in exploring it. Perhaps a hair metal discovery thread is more appropriate? Keep it positive and in the spirit of discovery and appreciation, and you'll probably get much less flack.

Tl;dr: Yeah, Cobain kind of killed hair metal and is probably pretty overrated in some areas. This isn't news. Kindly get over it.

Plenty if underrated grunge bands too.

Screaming Trees was often called a grunge band. It's hard for me to think they were but at the very least they were closely connected to grunge. In any case, they were the most underrated of them all IMHO.

This album is my favorite album (of any genre) from the 90s:

http://cdn-s3.allmusic.com/release-covers/500/0000/741/0000741978.jpg

Screaming Trees was often called a grunge band. It's hard for me to think they were but at the very least they were closely connected to grunge. In any case, they were the most underrated of them all IMHO.

This album is my favorite album (of any genre) from the 90s:

http://cdn-s3.allmusic.com/release-covers/500/0000/741/0000741978.jpg

This was the main band that came to my mind.

• Like 1

Jerry Cantrell, Kim thayill, Kurt contain all played guitar solos

• Like 2

Can you play all these songs on guitar? How do you know the riffs are so simple?

• Like 1

Is that why Iron Man and Smoke on the Water and Heartbreaker are classics, and nothing by Malmsteen or Vai is?

• Like 4

Is that why Iron Man and Smoke on the Water and Heartbreaker are classics, and nothing by Malmsteen or Vai is?

Thread won

• Like 1

I think the guilt of writing When the Children Cry made him retire.

• Like 1