Autographs?

I did this last tour; sent a few CD booklets to the venue c/o Rush etc. Send it so it arrives 1-2 days before they get there, so when they get there, they have mail smile.gif

Include a SASE or if it's a package, an already self-addressed and paid for packaging.

I got my stuff signed and I think they even put "Jill," on it or something. Can't remember (they are at my parents house since I have not fully moved everything out to my temp. apt. as of yet).

I know there are other threads about this on the forum so search around. And good luck!

I got a couple of items signed last tour. Don't send anything rare you can't bear to part with (never trust the Post Office), and be considerate - don't send your entire collection.

I did it on the 2nd leg of S&A. I mailed Roadshow to the venue in Neil's name a week before the gig. It came back a week after the gig. My wife could not believe it laugh.gif It is a very cool thing to have

QUOTE (Mara @ May 5 2010, 08:13 AM)
I got a couple of items signed last tour.  Don't send anything rare you can't bear to part with (never trust the Post Office), and be considerate - don't send your entire collection.

I planned on sending 2-ish album covers (by that I meant the little CD inserts) of some of my favorite albums. I don't want to be a crazy fan who boxes up their entire collection of Rush memorabilia.

So I just send it to the venue addressed for Rush and include an SASE.

I don't send things.......well really ever. So I imagine I'll be taking a trip to the post office to receive some much needed help.

This post has been really helpful so far, though, so thanks guys smile.gif

Edited by GeddyLeefan2112

Has anyone sent a sharpie with the stuff to be signed? I am thinking of sending a Fly By Night LP sleeve, and I was thinking of sending a silver sharpie with it since it is such a dark color and black signatures wont really show up. Also, I was going to send "Traveling Music" to hopefully get Neils signature on it. Do you think I should send it separately or with the LP sleeve?

QUOTE (toddnbeth @ May 6 2010, 08:03 PM)
Has anyone sent a sharpie with the stuff to be signed? I am thinking of sending a Fly By Night LP sleeve, and I was thinking of sending a silver sharpie with it since it is such a dark color and black signatures wont really show up. Also, I was going to send "Traveling Music" to hopefully get Neils signature on it. Do you think I should send it separately or with the LP sleeve?

I think you're fine sending it with the LP sleeve. I think Geddy and Alex know it wouldn't make sense to sign a book Neil wrote. (But if they did. . .you might have the only copy signed by all 3 - who knows? laugh.gif )

I don't really know if I trust that the autographs people recieve are really signed by Rush....A long time ago my father used to send stuff to Dale Earnhardt and have it come back with personalized autographs but then it came out that it wasn't even him signing the stuff...BIG disappointment...so unless they send a photo of Rush signing my stuff along with it, I wouldn't trust it laugh.gif

My wife (RIP angel.gif) managed to get things to the band on two different occasions.

First... I think this was the VT tour... she had done a pencil drawing of Alex and wrote a letter to the band, explaining how she and I had met each other because of them (we met in a yahoo chatroom, found each other by our Rush-reference names wink.gif ) and had recently gotten married etc. In this letter she jokingly added that Alex was welcome to visit our house any time and she included our address. Anyways she found someone at the venue, either a crew member or venue employee, who said he'd make sure the band got the picture and letter. A few weeks later, we got a big glossy VT promo picture in the mail, with three autographs on it, and a note from Alex saying thanks for the picture and congratulating us on our wedding. 2.gif

Second... I think this was R30 at Columbus... she brought a stuffed animal (a big ridiculous GOAT with SpongeBob underwear on it) with a note saying "not bad for three old goats". She managed to find someone who said he'd make sure the band got it. After intermission, I could not believe my eyes... that frigging goat was sitting on top of Alex's amp! And then... Alex's La Villa rant was about the goat. Absolutely best concert experience EVER cool.gif 1022.gif

Edited by dakota2112
  • Like 1

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ May 6 2010, 07:48 PM)
I don't really know if I trust that the autographs people recieve are really signed by Rush....A long time ago my father used to send stuff to Dale Earnhardt and have it come back with personalized autographs but then it came out that it wasn't even him signing the stuff...BIG disappointment...so unless they send a photo of Rush signing my stuff along with it, I wouldn't trust it laugh.gif

Hmm idk, I've seen copies of their autographs before (on those pics, for example from R30 I think? Or Replay?) and my real autographs look authentic.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ May 6 2010, 09:18 PM)
My wife (RIP angel.gif) managed to get things to the band on two different occasions.

First... I think this was the VT tour... she had done a pencil drawing of Alex and wrote a letter to the band, explaining how she and I had met each other because of them (we met in a yahoo chatroom, found each other by our Rush-reference names wink.gif ) and had recently gotten married etc. In this letter she jokingly added that Alex was welcome to visit our house any time and she included our address. Anyways she found someone at the venue, either a crew member or venue employee, who said he'd make sure the band got the picture and letter. A few weeks later, we got a big glossy VT promo picture in the mail, with three autographs on it, and a note from Alex saying thanks for the picture and congratulating us on our wedding. 2.gif

Second... I think this was R30 at Columbus... she brought a stuffed animal (a big ridiculous GOAT with SpongeBob underwear on it) with a note saying "not bad for three old goats". She managed to find someone who said he'd make sure the band got it. After intermission, I could not believe my eyes... that frigging goat was sitting on top of Alex's amp! And then... Alex's La Villa rant was about the goat. Absolutely best concert experience EVER cool.gif 1022.gif

That is freaking cool!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 6 2010, 10:49 PM)

First... I think this was the VT tour... she had done a pencil drawing of Alex and wrote a letter to the band, explaining how she and I had met each other because of them (we met in a yahoo chatroom, found each other by our Rush-reference names  wink.gif ) and had recently gotten married etc.  In this letter she jokingly added that Alex was welcome to visit our house any time and she included our address.  Anyways she found someone at the venue, either a crew member or venue employee, who said he'd make sure the band got the picture and letter.  A few weeks later, we got a big glossy VT promo picture in the mail, with three autographs on it, and a note from Alex saying thanks for the picture and congratulating us on our wedding.  2.gif

Second... I think this was R30 at Columbus... she brought a stuffed animal (a big ridiculous GOAT with SpongeBob underwear on it) with a note saying "not bad for three old goats".  She managed to find someone who said he'd make sure the band got it.  After intermission, I could not believe my eyes... that frigging goat was sitting on top of Alex's amp!  And then... Alex's La Villa rant was about the goat.  Absolutely best concert experience EVER  cool.gif  1022.gif

Awesome! I don't suppose there's footage of that rant anywhere, is there?

I have no problem believing the guys sign this stuff, Tark. It can't be an autopen. And what, they hire a professional forger to tour with them just to sign stuff?

Neil makes a couple of references in Roadshow about how it's set up and ready for them to sign when they first get to the venue.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 6 2010, 09:49 PM)

First... I think this was the VT tour... she had done a pencil drawing of Alex and wrote a letter to the band, explaining how she and I had met each other because of them (we met in a yahoo chatroom, found each other by our Rush-reference names  wink.gif ) and had recently gotten married etc.  In this letter she jokingly added that Alex was welcome to visit our house any time and she included our address.  Anyways she found someone at the venue, either a crew member or venue employee, who said he'd make sure the band got the picture and letter.  A few weeks later, we got a big glossy VT promo picture in the mail, with three autographs on it, and a note from Alex saying thanks for the picture and congratulating us on our wedding.  2.gif

Second... I think this was R30 at Columbus... she brought a stuffed animal (a big ridiculous GOAT with SpongeBob underwear on it) with a note saying "not bad for three old goats".  She managed to find someone who said he'd make sure the band got it.  After intermission, I could not believe my eyes... that frigging goat was sitting on top of Alex's amp!  And then... Alex's La Villa rant was about the goat.  Absolutely best concert experience EVER  cool.gif  1022.gif

Word...totally awesome! 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ May 6 2010, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ May 6 2010, 07:48 PM)

Hmm idk, I've seen copies of their autographs before (on those pics, for example from R30 I think? Or Replay?) and my real autographs look authentic.

Yeah, just compare it with an authentic signature. It's hard to replicate somone's sig

QUOTE (Mara @ May 6 2010, 09:56 PM)

I have no problem believing the guys sign this stuff, Tark. It can't be an autopen. And what, they hire a professional forger to tour with them just to sign stuff?

Neil makes a couple of references in Roadshow about how it's set up and ready for them to sign when they first get to the venue.

I've never found a video or even photos of the Goat, but I'd LOVE to find some.

Here is a brief excerpt from www.2112.net:

Columbus (6/2) Lerxst started singing with the notes from his guitar. "Bah - bah - bah - bah....", a few times, then ended with: "Bah bah bah black sheep." After which he started to tell a story about how a sheep was driving a bus, which he thought was odd, because the goat was supposed to be driving the bus! Then, he asked how goats can drive a bus, and then was trying to figure out how a goat keeps receipts. He didn't know where a goat would keep them, and asked the audience, "DO YOU??" The band went back into the song, and Alex pointed out a stuffed-animal goat sitting on top of his amp, with the tag hanging off it's ear.

That's absolutely amazing. I love reading stories like that about Rush concerts....gets me so pumped for the next one.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ May 6 2010, 11:02 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ May 6 2010, 09:56 PM)

I've never found a video or even photos of the Goat, but I'd LOVE to find some.

Here is a brief excerpt from www.2112.net:

Columbus (6/2) Lerxst started singing with the notes from his guitar. "Bah - bah - bah - bah....", a few times, then ended with: "Bah bah bah black sheep." After which he started to tell a story about how a sheep was driving a bus, which he thought was odd, because the goat was supposed to be driving the bus! Then, he asked how goats can drive a bus, and then was trying to figure out how a goat keeps receipts. He didn't know where a goat would keep them, and asked the audience, "DO YOU??" The band went back into the song, and Alex pointed out a stuffed-animal goat sitting on top of his amp, with the tag hanging off it's ear.

Very cool. There is a boot called "Lerxst in Strangiato" that has all the rants from the R30 tour, I believe it's a 3 cd set.

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ May 6 2010, 08:48 PM)

It is the band that sings them. I believe Neil has referenced it in one of his books, and we have heard it from people close to the band that they do indeed sign these items.

In 2007 I sent in my S&A CD case and lyric booklet and all three signed both.

In 2008 the Red Rocks show was postponed, but I had sent in an album sleeve.

What I got back in the mail was an S&A '08 tour book signed by all three. I got the album sleeve back but it wasn't signed. I figured they felt bad about having to re-schedule the show so they sent me the tour book.

They absolutely do sign them. When I did the meet and greet in Chicago we had to walk a distance back stage and I passed a table full of Rush items from DVD cases (R30 no DVD). To books, shirts etc. There were several sharpies on the table along with the items and the return address envelopes.

Also pay attention to how much the item weighs. In 2008 I had originally wanted to send Contents Under Pressure and when I took it to the post office I was told that because of it's weight it couldn't just be dropped off in a mail box, someone had to bring it to a post office. I couldn't take the chance that there was someone to do that so I ran home and got the album sleeve.

Edited by nobodys hero

I really want to send something for the band to sign this tour, as well as maybe a gift, but I don't know what. I suppose I would send a copy of one of the older albums since it is a Time Machine Tour, maybe Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves. As for the gift idea, I'll have to think of something really cool I guess....

QUOTE (Digital Man @ May 7 2010, 11:50 AM)
Very cool. There is a boot called "Lerxst in Strangiato" that has all the rants from the R30 tour, I believe it's a 3 cd set.

Thanks smile.gif

I do have the audio clip of it somewhere. But what I really would like is a picture, or better yet, video footage. My wife bought two of those goats - one for the band, and one as its twin, including the SpongeBob underwear. I have that goat on a shelf in my closet wink.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ May 6 2010, 07:18 PM)

That is so awesome!! The Rush guys are top notch. They really are.

I sent in two items with the last tour and both were signed. I plan on doing it again this year. I want to add to my humble collection!

QUOTE (udanax @ May 7 2010, 12:51 PM)
I really want to send something for the band to sign this tour, as well as maybe a gift, but I don't know what. I suppose I would send a copy of one of the older albums since it is a Time Machine Tour, maybe Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves. As for the gift idea, I'll have to think of something really cool I guess....

Yeah, I thought about the gift thing as well.... The story of the sketch being sent kind of inspired/reminded me of my motivation to send them one of my sketches in 2008 but they never came anywhere close to around here.

I started sketching again, hopefully I'll have something halfway decent by the time I need to send the stuff.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ May 7 2010, 11:29 PM)
Here's a small scan of the pencil sketch that my wife did of Alex. It was inspired by the Fly By Night album cover iirc.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u227/dakota2112/alex%20pencil%20sketch/Alex_drawing.gif

That's really good. If I had a scanner, I'd dabble in scanning some of the Rush sketches I've done in the last couple days from the surge of inspiration, but my scanner has long been dead.