Office Space

Blenderhead

Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?"

Lawrence: No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

Great movie

Great movie. And I can so relate to the scene where they smash up the office equipment. I once intentionally destroyed a fax machine so we could get a new one (that actually worked) from corporate.

Story of my life: laugh.gif

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Peter Gibbons: It's not just about me and my dream of doing nothing biggrin.gif

And of course the oh so random comment:

You know the germans had pieces of flair, they made the jews wear - rofl3.gif

Michael Bolton (singing along to gangsta rap in his car): I got my pistol point cocked. Ring-a-ling, shots nonstop, until I see your monkey ass drop. And let your homies know who done it. Cuz when it comes to gangsta shit, you muthafukkers know who run it.... I got a killer up inside me. I can't talk to my mutha, so I talk to my diary.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/9/6/6/966fe4edfee9223453dbeec7a5b68a1d.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGz30pAveXs

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 22 2010, 09:59 PM)
one of the few modern comedies around that everyone seems to think is funny and IS funny

That is because Mike Judge based the entire movie on basic truths of office life. Something in that movie rings true with everybody and that is what makes it funny. It isn't outlandish or unrealistic. Everything in that movie (minus getting stuck in hypnosis)could happen to any normal joe working in an office.

I totally had an Office Space experience today. I went to Walmart and was walking in and heard someone call my name. It was my boss! He asked if I could come in tomorrow (Sunday). I had that twitch to my mouth, just like the guy in Office Space when Lumberg asked him to come in. It totally sucked.

QUOTE (Shifty @ Apr 24 2010, 09:51 PM)

Can one of you US folk tell me if the cheesy diner sort of place where Jennifer Aniston works is really based on a place called TGI Friday?? If so, is TGI Friday really like  that?

Haven't been to TGIF in well over a decade (because it's that good sarcasm.gif ) but I'd say Office Space only slightly exaggerates...it's complete with all the stupid flair on the staff's suspenders and whatnot

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 25 2010, 05:18 AM)

Can one of you US folk tell me if the cheesy diner sort of place where Jennifer Aniston works is really based on a place called TGI Friday?? If so, is TGI Friday really like  that?

Haven't been to TGIF in well over a decade (because it's that good sarcasm.gif ) but I'd say Office Space only slightly exaggerates...it's complete with all the stupid flair on the staff's suspenders and whatnot

it is so obvious that when I first saw the movie I said it's a parody of TGIFridays. Here is a link: fridays

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 25 2010, 05:46 PM)

it is so obvious that when I first saw the movie I said it's a parody of TGIFridays. Here is a link: fridays

Is it definitely Fridays? I thought it was just supposed to be any of those "mid-priced" sit-down chains, like Applebees or Bennigans or Chilis or Uno's or the 99, etc. They all do that same thing, post-Cheers, of attaching antiques and pop cultural knick-knacks to their walls.

Best Fridays reference was in Futurama, which called them DUI Fridays.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 26 2010, 05:20 PM)

Is it definitely Fridays? I thought it was just supposed to be any of those "mid-priced" sit-down chains, like Applebees or Bennigans or Chilis or Uno's or the 99, etc. They all do that same thing, post-Cheers, of attaching antiques and pop cultural knick-knacks to their walls.

Well, I don't remember Chili's or Bennigan's ever cleaning my table the TGIF way i.e. with a bright pink water gun and giving me an over-exaggerated smile more akin to DC's Joker than a waiter. Maybe TGIF has toned it down in recent years but OFFICE SPACE definitely got the mid 90s version of that stupid chain restaurant.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/the-joker-in-mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe.jpg

May I take your order?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 26 2010, 04:20 AM)

I have no specific reference I can point to. I just remember it seeming so obvious because the other chains are much more low-key, they tend to let the decor handle the theme and let the staff serve...