The Official Riverside Thread

I hate to sound old and shit, but I really miss the days of going to a record store (Victrolas R Us) to buy an album on the day of its release. The "journey" of this "event" is now gone. The joy of ordering on Amazon is fleeting and yes, you check the mail each day hoping today's the day...but the excitement of getting in the car and knowing that within moments you'll be holding the new album in your hand is gone. I miss this when it comes to waiting in line for concert tickets and movies too.

My life is too damn convenient. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 3 2010, 03:39 PM)
I hate to sound old and shit, but I really miss the days of going to a record store (Victrolas R Us) to buy an album on the day of its release. The "journey" of this "event" is now gone. The joy of ordering on Amazon is fleeting and yes, you check the mail each day hoping today's the day...but the excitement of getting in the car and knowing that within moments you'll be holding the new album in your hand is gone. I miss this when it comes to waiting in line for concert tickets and movies too.

My life is too damn convenient. tongue.gif

Well, if you're old and shit, then I'm old and shit, too. I miss all of that stuff. Camping out and having that unique kind of anticipation. The line at the record store. The smell of a brand new album. And, how freaking easy it used to be to unwrap them! These days you need a goddamned flame thrower and a power jack to get into a f***ing CD.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 4 2010, 10:12 AM)
I hate to sound old and shit, but I really miss the days of going to a record store (Victrolas R Us) to buy an album on the day of its release.  The "journey" of this "event" is now gone.  The joy of ordering on Amazon is fleeting and yes, you check the mail each day hoping today's the day...but the excitement of getting in the car and knowing that within moments you'll be holding the new album in your hand is gone.  I miss this when it comes to waiting in line for concert tickets and movies too.

My life is too damn convenient.  tongue.gif

Well, if you're old and shit, then I'm old and shit, too. I miss all of that stuff. Camping out and having that unique kind of anticipation. The line at the record store. The smell of a brand new album. And, how freaking easy it used to be to unwrap them! These days you need a goddamned flame thrower and a power jack to get into a f***ing CD.

Hell. we're all gettin' old, just face it. Needless to say I miss all that shit as well yes.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 3 2010, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 3 2010, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 3 2010, 08:52 AM)
"music for whales to feck by"

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Of course, now I HAVE to hear it! laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong, it's not the slag that it sounds like reading that...but it's "soothing" and "moody" on the highest order. biggrin.gif I like it, but it won't keep you awake on a drive from Vegas to Reno either.

I see what you mean. Anyway, there's at least one incredibly briliant song, Summerland, that IMHO has to be one of the finest Marius ever wrote. What do you think?

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Nov 4 2010, 03:23 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 3 2010, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 3 2010, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 3 2010, 08:52 AM)
"music for whales to feck by"

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Of course, now I HAVE to hear it! laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong, it's not the slag that it sounds like reading that...but it's "soothing" and "moody" on the highest order. biggrin.gif I like it, but it won't keep you awake on a drive from Vegas to Reno either.

I see what you mean. Anyway, there's at least one incredibly briliant song, Summerland, that IMHO has to be one of the finest Marius ever wrote. What do you think?

I agree. I think it's a fine song. smile.gif

I hate to sound old and shit, but I really miss the days of going to a record store (Victrolas R Us) to buy an album on the day of its release.  The "journey" of this "event" is now gone.  The joy of ordering on Amazon is fleeting and yes, you check the mail each day hoping today's the day...but the excitement of getting in the car and knowing that within moments you'll be holding the new album in your hand is gone.  I miss this when it comes to waiting in line for concert tickets and movies too.

Yes indeed!! This reminds me of one such "journey":

I remember the day Tull's album Stormwatch (1979) came out. I called around to all the record stores in my area but could only find ONE place that had the album, it was 20 miles from my house and in the middle of the city. I was 16 at the time and had only been driving (legally) for 6 months. I called my mom (who was at work) to ask her if I could drive there, she told me absolutely NOT!! I did it anyway!! Hey, it was Tull!! That was one of the most rewarding album purchases of my life!! Ordering on Amazon in no way compares wink.gif

Edited by tjtull

I got my copy of Out of Myself in the mail today. Wow, I liked it a LOT!!

Up until now I'd only heard Riverside on my crappy computer speakers. I was really blown away with the depth of their sound when I put the CD in today. I must have played it through 3 times tonight!! Really great stuff...can't wait to get Second Life Syndrome!!

QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 5 2010, 06:54 PM)
I got my copy of Out of Myself in the mail today. Wow, I liked it a LOT!!

Up until now I'd only heard Riverside on my crappy computer speakers. I was really blown away with the depth of their sound when I put the CD in today. I must have played it through 3 times tonight!! Really great stuff...can't wait to get Second Life Syndrome!!

Excellent!!!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 3 2010, 05:12 PM)

The smell of a brand new album.

This I really miss. And nothing beats a fold out album cover.

I don't see why something like that would would be out of the question. In fact I think a Duda/Wilson project would be awesome.

I love PT, but if Riverside opened for them, they'd blow PT out of the water. Why would Steven Wilson want that? And as far as Wilson doing a project with Riverside, i.e producing their next album, well, ADHD was so amazingly awesome, I'd rather they work with that producer again, and let SW focus on his next solo album and PT's next studio album.

Riverside and their production sound are doing quite well without the need for Steven Wilson... ADHD sounded f*cking incredible.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

And yeah, Riverside was only here for NEARfest last June. There was a 50/50 shot I would have been able to go, and I lost the coin flip. Odds are you will have to go to Europe if you want to see them, but perhaps someday that will change... It would be quite an undertaking for them to go around the US on a tour and not lose money! They are not known enough to carry it off by themselves, and would need a tow from a much larger band...