Documentary Poster Revealed

Scars

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 15 2010, 11:04 AM)
I don't know where you get the impression that the vast focus of this rockumentary will be on Rush waaaaay back in the time machine. I haven't heard any inclinations along those lines...

Seriously? I obviously haven't seen it yet so I can't say I know for a fact but I think it's pretty obvious based on the articles, preview clips, this poster, and the personal interests of the film makers that it's going to be pretty much old Rush or no Rush. I hope I'm wrong but we'll see.

I think that the photos and teasers are done in this manner because first off this project appeals mostly to us Rush diehards and second because for us they know that old stuff we've never before seen is the best way to get us excited about it.

I hope you're wrong too. I mean I will enjoy it either way but I was rather expecting it to follow much of Rush's career.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the photos and teasers are done in this manner because first off this project appeals mostly to us Rush diehards and second because for us they know that old stuff we've never before seen is the best way to get us excited about it.

I hope you're wrong too. I mean I will enjoy it either way but I was rather expecting it to follow much of Rush's career.

That's certainly possible. Like you, I'll enjoy it either way but it's just something I'm a little worried about. Like the previous poster said, I don't want it to come off like Rush hasn't done anything since the 1970s. I do think they may talk some about the later years as far as the near-ending of the band with what happened to Neil and so on but not much as far as the actual music goes since MP. Like I said, we'll see. I'm sure we'll get lots of details after the premier. If nothing else we're going to see footage of them playing with Rutsey which I would have thought impossible so it's certainly going to be a lot of fun.

Well, what great timing. I went over to the Counterparts forum for the first time in ages and someone (who at least seems legit) wrote this. This is discouraging and exactly what I feared. I hope he's wrong about the lack of a bonus disc too, I was hoping that would compensate a bit.

By the way, is it even ok to copy and paste posts (or parts of posts) from other forums? I guess someone will tell me or remove it if so.

Anyway, check this out from yesterday:

"I saw a rough cut of it 3 months ago. If you like the 70s and 00s Rush, this is your documentary. If you were hoping for heavy 80s and 90s stuff you are S.O.L., Sam Dunn decided to keep it edited way below 2 hours for the sake of selling it to VH1...to which he did. So for commercial sakes we lost at least 22 mins of the 1980s era coverage. He has over 400 hours of interviews recorded and trimmed it down big time. The bias of the film is that Sam is really a big fan of 74-81 era Rush only, ditto some of the other crew working on the film.

THAT is what annoyed me about watching it as a fan of the 78-90 era of the band. A real heavy bias towards the 60s and 70s era. I never understood why the 1980s are bashed so much as far as Rush goes. It was the 1980s that put this band in arenas for good and it was the 1980s that had every record going 4 times platinum, platinum, or Gold. Rush hasn't had a Gold studio record since 1996. Their 70s era had them barely playing theaters and next to no airplay. It wasn't until 1980 when the band exploded for good. Enough of the lovefest with an era that was critically killed and commercially their lowest point."

"I had talked with Sam about his plans for the tons of interviews that didn't make the final cut and it was a chore for him to want to have a second disc added to the DVD/Blu Ray saying that it was too expensive to do a second disc of extras and who besides a few hardcore fans would demand it?

That made me feel a bit uneasy about it all. Sam knows his 70s Rush, in a big way. But it was as if he thought the documentary was enough by itself with maybe a dozen extra clips added in for bonus extras. I disagreed (not that it mattered) and said you have to complete this thing with as much as you can. That there is nothing out there like this at this level and that fans have waited decades for someone to come along and do it right.

As I said, I saw a rough cut not the finished product and haven't heard if he did indeed go through with the second disc or not..I sure hope so."

"He did have a period from 81-87 really covered as late as December and early Jan but there was a discovery of some older footage from the early 70s and they collectively said "Well there goes Signals and Grace Under Pressure!". They went out of their way to make sure it would be the 80s and 90s that would be sacrificed the most and keep the 70s intact. The one thing you had to remind them of was their popularity on MTV in the 80s period of 81-86. They were heavy staples at that time from all of the live Exit videos in heavy rotation, Subdivisions, Countdown, DEW, RSA, Body Electric, Big Money, Mystic, Time Stand Still, Lock and Key, Show Don't Tell...all big videos on MTV at the time. These are mainly Canadian film makers and missed out on that early period of 81-84 when MTV was huge in the states."

Frustrating to think of all that was done just to end up in the trash if this is true.

Good finding by the way, and nothing wrong with copying and pasting that here since you cited the source.

On a positive note the film does embrace the entire history of Rush, even if it focuses MORE on the 70s than the 80s or whatever, sounds like their entire storied careers WILL be touched on to some extent and that the guy commenting only saw a rough cut, so let's hope plenty of all of it make it through to the final cut.

trink39.gif

God i hope he does a second disk .

Hey, if they found more 70s stuff then so much the better, I want to see that stuff too. It's not like they can have too much Rush, my only complaint is that it has to be "either this or that" instead of just making the whole thing longer. At least on dvd. I'm realistic enough to understand he wants to sell it to VH1 but there's no reason they can't show an edited down version on TV and then have a 3 hour or so show on dvd with extras on a second disc. In fact, that seems better that way, otherwise casual fans will just watch it on TV and since they aren't missing anything they'll just skip the dvd. It would seem better to have a shortened TV version as a huge teaser for a much larger show. Anyway, what's done is done.

I still have to wonder if I'll be in the documentary. When I was interviewed, I talked a lot of my interest in the 80's since that is when I became a fan (1982).

I have friends going to the Tribeca film festival so I can't wait to hear their feedback (and to let me know if my presence is in the final cut).

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 15 2010, 10:49 AM)

"I had talked with Sam about his plans for the tons of interviews that didn't make the final cut and it was a chore for him to want to have a second disc added to the DVD/Blu Ray saying that it was too expensive to do a second disc of extras and who besides a few hardcore fans would demand it?

Who besides those "few hardcore fans" are going to watch the documentary in the first place?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 14 2010, 07:05 PM)
It's fine. It's nice to see the jovial Rush instead of the cliched serious sci-fi obsessed prog rockers that so many assume Rush to be.

Exactly. Im sick of seeing the pics of them in kimonos, and looking so serious.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 15 2010, 07:32 AM)
I love it and I am as much of a fanatic of "old Rush" as anyone but for those few of us who were hoping for a more balanced overview of their whole career, I don't think this will be it. Both because of the obvious focus on 1970s Rush and the limited run time I wish this could simply be the first of three or four parts that cover everything.

I would be very surprised if they only focused on the 70's and just skimmed over what came later. From the 90's on they've made so few albums anyway, that will naturally take less time. You would have to think though they'd also be focusing on their impact, longevity and enduring popularity.

I hear what you're saying though. There's a documentary about Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers that's 4 hours or so - that thing is seriously comprehensive and really talks about their entire career. And, it's incredibly well done. I can only hope that this will be anything close to that quality, but I seriously doubt I'll be disappointed.

I don't suspect there will be multiple parts to this over time. I'm guessing it'll be a doc that covers their history. It might focus MORE on their origins. This isn't uncommon in documentaries. But there's NO WAY this is merely a 70s Rush doc.

I don't suspect there will be multiple parts to this over time. I'm guessing it'll be a doc that covers their history. It might focus MORE on their origins. This isn't uncommon in documentaries. But there's NO WAY this is merely a 70s Rush doc.

Obviously it's going to cover their whole history except it's going to be overwhelmingly weighted towards everything up to 1981. I said because of how much 80s and 90s stuff will be cut out that I wished it could simply be the first part. If anybody thinks Sam Dunn has any interest in discussing Grace Under Pressure or Hold Your Fire or Presto among others you're crazy. It's clearly going to be about 85% up to 1981 and then just general "let's get this over with and fast forward to the end" stuff for the later parts. All the later parts are sure to be just general comments about their longevity and the near ending of the band with what happened to Neil and so on. The only Rush music he cares about is the 70s stuff, there's just no doubt about that.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 17 2010, 09:03 AM)

Obviously it's going to cover their whole history except it's going to be overwhelmingly weighted towards everything up to 1981. I said because of how much 80s and 90s stuff will be cut out that I wished it could simply be the first part. If anybody thinks Sam Dunn has any interest in discussing Grace Under Pressure or Hold Your Fire or Presto among others you're crazy. It's clearly going to be about 85% up to 1981 and then just general "let's get this over with and fast forward to the end" stuff for the later parts. All the later parts are sure to be just general comments about their longevity and the near ending of the band with what happened to Neil and so on. The only Rush music he cares about is the 70s stuff, there's just no doubt about that.

I hope you are wrong too, but I suspect that you are right.

Perhaps we would be able petition them to do a special fan cut of the DVD where the material on the cutting room floor could be bonus footage. I would gladly pay more for something like that.

I'm happy to get as much of the early years as I can, but it does seem (at least at this stage) that the opportunity was missed to release something definitive.

I won't be long until we find out for sure I guess.

If any substantial portion of their long career is cut out of the film, it's going to suck and disappoint a lot of fans.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 17 2010, 09:03 AM)

Yeah, I suppose that's probably true. You're not going to see equal time devoted to each album or era. wink.gif

Yeah, I suppose that's probably true. You're not going to see equal time devoted to each album or era.

I wish that it wasn't the case, it's not like I'm hoping to be right about this or anything.

The bottom line is that 106 minutes isn't remotely enough even if he covered everything equally. There's over 40 years and 20 studio albums. That's 5.3 minutes per studio album if they were all covered equally and that's all they talked about. Now, when you cut out biographical info, their many younger years as a band before they even had an album, discussion of live albums and/or tours and general discussion about their longevity, Neil's tragedies, and other non-music topics you're talking about barely having time to even mention them all much less cover them in any meaningful way.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 17 2010, 05:24 PM)
If any substantial portion of their long career is cut out of the film, it's going to suck and disappoint a lot of fans.

Well get ready, because they are putting the entire story of Rush into a 109 min film. I don't think this will be as great as i thought

Archived